DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Help: Ipod Interface Doesn't Charge My iTouch

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I bought a ipod interface for my 2008 523i, and had my local dealer programme it. But once I connect the wire to my itouch there would be a message saying this accessory doesn't provide charging function on the itouch. My dealer claim my ipod interface doesn't provide this feature and there is also some sort of cable that would allow the interface charges the ipod. Does all ipod interface charges the ipod/itouch/iphone? Or my dealer doesn't know what they are doing? And does anybody have the programming doc so I can show the dealer, if they had miss some steps.

Cheers
auphk
Old 05-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Originally Posted by auphk' post='871076' date='May 7 2009, 09:00 AM
Hi,

I bought a ipod interface for my 2008 523i, and had my local dealer programme it. But once I connect the wire to my itouch there would be a message saying this accessory doesn't provide charging function on the itouch. My dealer claim my ipod interface doesn't provide this feature and there is also some sort of cable that would allow the interface charges the ipod. Does all ipod interface charges the ipod/itouch/iphone? Or my dealer doesn't know what they are doing? And does anybody have the programming doc so I can show the dealer, if they had miss some steps.

Cheers
auphk
You have to buy an adaptor to charge it from the apple store or maybe you can find it online...I'm not sure what its called...I believe its a scosche adaptor...There about $30...
Old 05-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Members

Hi there,

I mean my interface is the original alpine interface that replace the CD changer......that thing should charge my ipod right?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

It should but 'should' is a funny word... anyway yes that thing will charge iPod the problem is Apple re-design the charger on the newer generation of iPod/iPod and Scosche adapter should do the trick.

GL!

BTW:

Originally Posted by auphk' post='871681' date='May 7 2009, 09:02 PM
Hi there,

I mean my interface is the original alpine interface that replace the CD changer......that thing should charge my ipod right?
Old 05-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='871736' date='May 8 2009, 10:59 AM
It should but 'should' is a funny word... anyway yes that thing will charge iPod the problem is Apple re-design the charger on the newer generation of iPod/iPod and Scosche adapter should do the trick.

GL!

BTW:

Thanks BlasTiWi,

Now I know it doesn't work on the new generation ipod/iphone and I thought it was the dealer playing me.

I did some digging on the net too, but there is one user claims it doesn't work for Aug 2008 build 5 Series;

"This does not work for connecting between cable supplied by BMW included with 2009 5 Series as of November 2008 and iPhone 3G. The cable supplied by BMW does not charge the iPhone 3G. I tried connecting this Scosche Charging Adaptor between the BMW cable and the iPhone 3G with phone on and engine running for more than an hour. The iPhone 3G charging level remained at the exact same low level as when I started the test."
Old 05-08-2009, 02:56 PM
Contributors

He did something wrong then lol the scosche adapter will solve your problems.