DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

HELP - Installing Lower Control Arms Left and Right HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 525xi

I've tried the search method, no luck. I Need help with Lower Control Arms installation. I have a 2006 525xi with 78K miles on it, I was quoted by the dealer for new lower control arm bushings for $600. I decided to just replace the entire control arm for both sides, which will take care of the bushings and ball joints. After removing the Left side control arm I noticed the ball joint is not pressed onto the control arm but instead it is in the hub. I purchsed a set of control arms from FCP Groton, on these control arms the ball joints are pressed onto the control arms. I've looked at multiple OEM control arms for the E60 Chasis they all have the ball joint pressed onto the control arm. As of right now I'm stuck. Your help is apprectiated.

So I have the following questions:
1. Do I have the correct control arms? If so why is the original control arm different from the OEM replacement part? (See Pic)
2. Do I need to remove the Ball Joint that's pressed into the hub? If so How?(See Pic)

I've attached some pictures for reference.
Attached Thumbnails HELP - Installing Lower Control Arms Left and Right HELP-balljoint_left.jpg   HELP - Installing Lower Control Arms Left and Right HELP-controlarm_fcp.jpg   HELP - Installing Lower Control Arms Left and Right HELP-controlarm_original.jpg   HELP - Installing Lower Control Arms Left and Right HELP-fcp_lower_left_controlarm.jpg  
Old 10-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Members

looks like you purchased regular front tension arms for e60, may not have been in the correct model catagory when ordering parts.

Try this diagram

from realoem.com
Old 10-04-2010, 01:57 AM
Members

looks like you bought the 15 and should have ordered the 8
Old 10-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Members

OP, you may have already figured this out.
I included the parts diagram for what I believe is your vehicle. I would call FGCP Groton directly and let them know the vehicle information for your application, as you have been shipped non-all wheel drive parts and your vehicle is a "x" model.
They stock a great deal more than what is shown on their website and should be able to help you get the parts you need.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

It looks like you ordered incorrect parts.

Those FCP control arms are for non Xi E60 I think.

Looks like the only aftermarket part for your Xi application is from the following manufacturers:
Febi
http://www.febi-parts.com/article.ph...ut=31106770686
Lemfoerder
http://webcat-services.zf.com/index.asp?SPR=4

Not sure if this aftermarket part is available in the US.
You can always check w/ gromani@bmwofnewport.com for OEM part.

Don't forget to replace the ball joint as well while you are there
Old 10-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525xi

Thanks for the help guys. Right after I posted this up I was able to locate the correct diagram from REALOEM. Looks like I'll have to order the correct one. All this hassel is still worth not paying the dealer to perform the work.

Yeah I was thinking about doing the ball joints also, do I need a press to remove these? or will a universal ball joint remover work just fine? Thanks
Old 10-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Looks like you already know how to remove your control arm.

I've never done Xi before but based on the pics you posted, that ball joint is attached to the hub w/ 2 Allen head bolts from the hub. Loosen those two bolts, the ball joint will drop from the hub along w/ the arm.

Looks like there's no need for ball joint removal. OR, you can rent ball joint removal from local parts store for free.

When you put things back on:
DO NOT TIGHTEN CONTROL ARM BOLTS (to the chassis) WHILE THE CAR IS OFF THE GROUND.

The suspension MUST BE LOADED by the weight of the car prior to tightening this bolt.

Good luck on the install