DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

headrest monitors

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

Hey guys, i haven't posted in a while but i am about to purchase the navitv unit from dominic in NY. I am having trouble with the idea of the headrest monitors. I do not want to use the brackets, but I also do not want to replace the headrest or lose any of the functions so i need some ideas. Do you guys know anybody who has done this or will do it for me. I live in houston texas and i want a clean look to my headrest. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I know others have posted about this, but they have done this themselves and I am not that good with doing things by myself. Thanks again guys.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone Waiting

Originally Posted by houbmw' post='390819' date='Feb 12 2007, 09:32 PM
Hey guys, i haven't posted in a while but i am about to purchase the navitv unit from dominic in NY. I am having trouble with the idea of the headrest monitors. I do not want to use the brackets, but I also do not want to replace the headrest or lose any of the functions so i need some ideas. Do you guys know anybody who has done this or will do it for me. I live in houston texas and i want a clean look to my headrest. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I know others have posted about this, but they have done this themselves and I am not that good with doing things by myself. Thanks again guys.
I install 2 monitors in the headrest

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=24635&hl=
Old 02-13-2007, 05:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530D , Msport, Deep Sea Blue , Cream Beige Dakota , Due April 2007.

i'm awaiting delivery of new model in April , here's an interesting idea i got in Dublin Ireland , there's a guy the dealer recommended (unoffically) that basically buys 2 genuine BMW headrests same spec as the car interior (so cream beige dakota in my case) he fits the monitors and gives you the original headrests also to swap when you sell the car in years to come , so change the headrests and take out the DVD or PS2 and your done , ?1800 here plu tax 21% , i'm considering it unless i hear otherwise . Ciaran.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by E60_2007' post='391003' date='Feb 13 2007, 02:24 PM
i'm awaiting delivery of new model in April , here's an interesting idea i got in Dublin Ireland , there's a guy the dealer recommended (unoffically) that basically buys 2 genuine BMW headrests same spec as the car interior (so cream beige dakota in my case) he fits the monitors and gives you the original headrests also to swap when you sell the car in years to come , so change the headrests and take out the DVD or PS2 and your done , ?1800 here plu tax 21% , i'm considering it unless i hear otherwise . Ciaran.
i think the best bet is to just fit the screens to your headrests,and leave in car when you sell.
or. buy the headrest complete with monitors aboput ?200 lastr time i looked.but vary with monitor spec.
advice pull out headrest and if pole is hollow its easy fit for screens.just cut leather in a cross where monitor sits smaller than screen cut foam out for backing plate,
drill holer in position for wiring screw in to the plastic holder and fix to retainer feed wire .done.
but think what you actually need first.
a brodit mount on armrest /tunnel and a large screen 10inch works great for both passengers,and easily hidden/removed ,less attraction to thieves.
you could as many have done use a tablet 15inch player screen in this way also.if you have rear auxillary as well for sound nice neat job.or infraread h/phones.
hope that helps