DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Hand-brake handle replacement : DIY ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:06 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d M Sport Touring (born November 22nd, 2006) Carbon Black (metallic), Black Dakota Leather, 18" M135 L/Alloy Wheels with 245/40 R18 93Y Goodyear NCT5 tyres (Run-flats), Manual Transmission, Xenon headlamps, Headlamp-washer system, BMW 6 Disc CD Changer, Navigation-system Professional, Hi-Fi loudspeaker system, M Sport Package, Roof Rails, M-Sports Suspension, Sun Protection Glass, High Gloss Shadow Line, M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, Anthracite Headlining, Cup Holders, Auto-Dim Interior Mirror, DVD Prep in rear, Side Blinds (manual), Automatic Air Conditioning, M Steering Wheel, Aluminium "Cube Pure" interior trim, Sports Seats, ISOFIX Child Seat System (front passenger seat), Park Distance Control

I want to replace the original (black leather) hand-brake handle on my E61 pre-LCI with an aluminium (Hamann) handle.

Anyone got installation instructions how to get the original handle off without messing it up?

Pics or a detailed description would be nice...

For those who wonder: I searched the forum for any previous DIY descriptions, but to my surprise didn't come up with anything

Thanks for the help!

Greetz,
Belgian BMW Fan
Old 11-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Just to clarify, you are only looking to replace the handle that you grip to apply the brake? Or are you looking to replace the leather "bag" part as well? If it is just the handle part, it simply pulls off and the new one slips on in its place. I changed mine when I first got my '04, replacing the leather one with the wood one to match the trim in my car. It seems a little hard and I understand you don't want to break it but give it a pull and it will come off...
Old 11-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d M Sport Touring (born November 22nd, 2006) Carbon Black (metallic), Black Dakota Leather, 18" M135 L/Alloy Wheels with 245/40 R18 93Y Goodyear NCT5 tyres (Run-flats), Manual Transmission, Xenon headlamps, Headlamp-washer system, BMW 6 Disc CD Changer, Navigation-system Professional, Hi-Fi loudspeaker system, M Sport Package, Roof Rails, M-Sports Suspension, Sun Protection Glass, High Gloss Shadow Line, M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, Anthracite Headlining, Cup Holders, Auto-Dim Interior Mirror, DVD Prep in rear, Side Blinds (manual), Automatic Air Conditioning, M Steering Wheel, Aluminium "Cube Pure" interior trim, Sports Seats, ISOFIX Child Seat System (front passenger seat), Park Distance Control

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='489085' date='Nov 2 2007, 06:45 PM
Just to clarify, you are only looking to replace the handle that you grip to apply the brake? Or are you looking to replace the leather "bag" part as well? If it is just the handle part, it simply pulls off and the new one slips on in its place. I changed mine when I first got my '04, replacing the leather one with the wood one to match the trim in my car. It seems a little hard and I understand you don't want to break it but give it a pull and it will come off...
Yep, that's right. I just want to replace the original black leather handle by a full aluminium one (type "Hamann" or "Hartge") and keep the leather bag.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?autocom=ga...si&img=9488

Didn't know that it was that simple... I guessed you had to twist it or somehow pull up the leather bag first to get to a screw retaining the handle.
(On some photographs those handles seem attached by a small "inbus" type of screw on the bottom of the handle. I've also heard that the wooden handles were sometimes glued to the hand-brake: that was probably the case on older models ?)

Thanks for the tip! I will try to pull it of gently without breaking anything
It's always easier if you get some help/hints by a fellow member who's done this type of thing before eh. That is also the reason why I visit this forum on a daily basis: to read and learn of other people's experience regarding the E60-type BMW.

Greetz,
Tom.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='489085' date='Nov 2 2007, 06:45 PM
..., it simply pulls off and the new one slips on in its place ... It seems a little hard and I understand you don't want to break it but give it a pull and it will come off...
Just went to the garage to give it a try and indeed after a good firm pull the handle comes off. The leather bag can simply be detached from the handle.

Now that I know how simple it is to change the handle, nothing stands in my way of ordering the aluminium replacement handle

Thanks for the tip!
(Sometimes it just takes some courage and a little help from a fellow member to "pull it off" )

Kind regards,
Tom.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Belgian BMW Fan' post='489164' date='Nov 2 2007, 04:10 PM
Just went to the garage to give it a try and indeed after a good firm pull the handle comes off. The leather bag can simply be detached from the handle.

Now that I know how simple it is to change the handle, nothing stands in my way of ordering the aluminium replacement handle

Thanks for the tip!
(Sometimes it just takes some courage and a little help from a fellow member to "pull it off" )

Kind regards,
Tom.
Glad to help, though I'm not sure I'll admit to many folks that I helped you "pull it off"!
Old 11-03-2007, 02:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='489276' date='Nov 3 2007, 04:26 AM
Glad to help, though I'm not sure I'll admit to many folks that I helped you "pull it off"!
English is not my native language.

Sorry if I offended you in any way, OK?
Old 11-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Belgian BMW Fan' post='489346' date='Nov 3 2007, 05:21 AM
English is not my native language.

Sorry if I offended you in any way, OK?
Oh, no offense taken, I was simply trying to be funny! Sometimes humor doesn't come across as well is text! Glad you got the handle off...