DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Grill removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i

I know there are a million other threads about this but I just need to clear some stuff up.
So, I've read over most of threads I can find and:

It seems like most people said the easiest way to do it was by removing the trim above the grill, and taking off the 5 bolts to loosen the front bumper.

I managed to get all that done as well as the top 3 clamps, BUT
I reached my hand down the bumper and tried to pop up the bottom clamp with several different tools. I applied a pretty solid amount of pressure, but the bottom clamps don't want to pop out.

How much pressure does it require to get the 2 lower clamps? I was applying at least 1.5x the amount it took to get the top ones, if not even more.
Does anyone have any advice for this?...More pressure maybe (I feel like much more will break the clamps)? Is there an easier way to do it?
Old 12-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Members

Never mind guys. I got it!

So what I was doing clearly wasn't working for me. Here is what I did instead:

1) Take off the trim that covers the 5 bolts to loosen the front bumper BUT, DO NOT take off the 5 bolts to loosen it. (keep the bumper fastened down)

2) Undo the 3 clips on the top (this was the easiest part). I used a Flat head screwdriver to push the clip down then pulled the grill outward.

3) Now with the top 3 un-clipped, you're going to want to get the bottom 2 un-clipped. So, just use 1 finger and reach between the grill slits and pull up on the clip while you use the other hand to pull on the grill.
Do this to the clip on the other side and now you've got both bottom clips out.

4) With the 3 top and 2 bottom clips out, you're just going to want to pull on the grill and kind of wiggle it around a little bit and it should pop out.
NOTE: I actually pulled pretty damn hard while taking out the grill, when it finally came out it sounded like plastic breaking, but i inspected the grill and nothing was wrong at all. (The grill is much more sturdy than it initially feels)

5) With the first grill out, the second one is really easy. (DO NOT put the new grill in until you get the other side out too)
It's basically the same exact steps, but instead of reaching through the grill slits to get the bottom clips, you want to reach through the area that is open (from the first grill). This simply gives you more room to work with.

EDIT: There are other tools you can use to get the bottom clips out but I think its easier just to use your hands. Using my hands gave me a better feel for how much pressure I was putting on the clips and how much harder I could pull etc.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zach1328
Never mind guys. I got it!

So what I was doing clearly wasn't working for me. Here is what I did instead:

1) Take off the trim that covers the 5 bolts to loosen the front bumper BUT, DO NOT take off the 5 bolts to loosen it. (keep the bumper fastened down)

2) Undo the 3 clips on the top (this was the easiest part). I used a Flat head screwdriver to push the clip down then pulled the grill outward.

3) Now with the top 3 un-clipped, you're going to want to get the bottom 2 un-clipped. So, just use 1 finger and reach between the grill slits and pull up on the clip while you use the other hand to pull on the grill.
Do this to the clip on the other side and now you've got both bottom clips out.

4) With the 3 top and 2 bottom clips out, you're just going to want to pull on the grill and kind of wiggle it around a little bit and it should pop out.
NOTE: I actually pulled pretty damn hard while taking out the grill, when it finally came out it sounded like plastic breaking, but i inspected the grill and nothing was wrong at all. (The grill is much more sturdy than it initially feels)

5) With the first grill out, the second one is really easy. (DO NOT put the new grill in until you get the other side out too)
It's basically the same exact steps, but instead of reaching through the grill slits to get the bottom clips, you want to reach through the area that is open (from the first grill). This simply gives you more room to work with.

EDIT: There are other tools you can use to get the bottom clips out but I think its easier just to use your hands. Using my hands gave me a better feel for how much pressure I was putting on the clips and how much harder I could pull etc.
I am so glad I came across this post - It took me 20min to change my grill...Thanks!!!
Old 01-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rocksteady530
I am so glad I came across this post - It took me 20min to change my grill...Thanks!!!
Your welcome. I'm glad it helped.

Personally, I rear over multiple other threads on how to do this and I couldn't seem to get it out with those methods. After trying several tools, I just tried using my finger and found it was much easier.

Once I got the first grill out the second one only took me 3-4 minutes, you just have to get the feel for it.

But anyways, hopefully this will be of use to others as well.

Thanks,
Zach