DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

GPS Fitted using i-drive screen

Old 02-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport, Carbon Black, Black half leather

Anoying impressed lol. Does look good and does give room for lots of inputs if you wanted... hmmm. may be a future investment.. not yet tho. i think other mods are higher on the list will defo keep this bookmarked
Old 02-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Epic' post='804162' date='Mar 1 2009, 12:18 AM
Anoying impressed lol. Does look good and does give room for lots of inputs if you wanted... hmmm. may be a future investment.. not yet tho. i think other mods are higher on the list will defo keep this bookmarked
come on give me some credit, its my first proper post, next time i will take pics as i go along.
simon.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Members

So,

Can you go back to the audio menus and have the radio on and still have the nav running & directing via the seperate speaker????

Originally Posted by bobsimes' post='804421' date='Mar 1 2009, 02:37 AM
come on give me some credit, its my first proper post, next time i will take pics as i go along.
simon.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport, Carbon Black, Black half leather

Originally Posted by ante90' post='804618' date='Mar 1 2009, 06:45 PM
So,

Can you go back to the audio menus and have the radio on and still have the nav running & directing via the seperate speaker????
Thats a good point.. saw if i want to use the nav to get to sumone and want to listen to my music as well.. By the looks of it you would only get one or the other.. but i may be wrong
Old 03-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Contributors

....tho' I already nav but still looks pretty cool
Old 03-02-2009, 06:57 AM
6er
Members

Good Photo's Simon Glad to see the Canbus codes worked with your system to switch into AV mode via idrive rather than using the button supplied.

computer integration is my summer project then I will have two demo cars running integrated BMW carputers

Jonathan
Old 03-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Members

So will this need car re-coding after the H/W install as been completed???

As implied in the mail above from 6er???????
Old 03-02-2009, 02:31 PM
6er
Members

Originally Posted by ante90' post='805620' date='Mar 2 2009, 05:44 PM
So will this need car re-coding after the H/W install as been completed???

As implied in the mail above from 6er???????
No I never Let me explain better Normally with 8.8" navi's AV input on the interface activated via iDrive as the interface reads the signals from the canbus, Simon has a 6.5" non navi iDrive, so he was supplied with an extra button to plug in that can activate the AV input without idrive, as it was not 100% that the correct codes would be sent to allow AV input activation via iDrive

No re-coding is needed for this interface
Old 03-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Members

ok guys......... QUESTION. how does the sound work?? for the ACM and other modules i looked at, you need a Aux port installed by bmw.. how does the sound work in this one? i want to do this to my carrrrrrrrrrrrr!

And you said youcan hook up more monitors also right? like headrest lcds without buyin extra splitter module?
Old 03-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Members

no
no coding was needed after the install

here is how it works

the pegaus box "piggybacks" the idrive cabling to the idrive monitor when you press the menu button for more than 1 second it "hijacks" the input, switching over the whatever input you are putting into the pegasus unit be it gps/dvd/carputer ect ect

you can still listen to whatever was being played on the car i drive eg radio/cd and when you press the menu button again it turns off the pegasus box and the idrive screen appears again showing what you last had on the i drive display.

this is the downside

as most e60 frum members know to get a proper aux input into the idrive you will nee an expensive bit of kit like denison or oem bmw and this will need recoding ???????? .

what i did was use the speaker that came with the gps unit locating it behind the drivers side dash, this is more than adequate for providing direction instructions as this is all i use the pegasus box for it also has the handy feature ofwarning me of speed cameras whist listening to the i drive radio/cd!!!!
if you were using the pegasus box for anything other than gps eg dvd you will need a proper aux input however you choose to do that.

this works fine for me any questions please ask.

simon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GPS Fitted using i-drive screen