DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

GPS Fitted using i-drive screen

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an e60 2004 530d with no navigation fitted just basic business radio no changer, i wanted nav fitted but not the cost for bmw oem parts ect, i used the following parts.

idrive av controler, the item cost ?299 and comes with tailor made install instructions for e60, all you need to do to activate it is press the menu button under the idrive spinner for a couple of seconds and it switches over as it links into the canbus system, if you want i drive back on press the menu button again once, easy and you still keep idrive !!!!,
this all hides behind the dashboard.

http://www.pegasussl.co.uk/series-in...n-p-12344.html

i then used a gps box from ebay with route 66 running and using a remote to input the route settings as i drive screen is not touch screen (works quite well) this one at the moment (priced 26/2/09) is realy good value ?50 less than i paid remember to ask for route 66 maps as the maps are newer than tom tom.
(please note this gps box will only run specific software and will not run tom tom 7.)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G101-GPS-BOX-with-AV-OUTPUT-RCA-remote-control-the-GPS_W0QQitemZ120383181367QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP?hash=item120383181367&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
i located the box in the cd changer housing behind the glovebox opening panel for ease of access to the map sd card.(i dont have a changer)
sound from the gps is provided by a speaker which i located behind the drivers part of the dashboard.
i located the gps reciever under the square mesh plate in the centre of the dash above the i drive screen seems to pick up 5-8 satelites no problem.

pps i tapped into the cigarette lighter for switched power although it goes off when the key is not in the start engine position (damn car , cant find a basic switched power wire anywhere!!!)

full gps running on the idrive screen for under ?500

route 66 is good software you can change the screen colours to match the cars orange lights ect and can download points of interest ie speed cameres for free, setting alerts so you are notified when close to one.

hope this helps
sorry i didnt take any pics as i did it before finding this site but would be happy to answer any questions.

simon
Old 02-26-2009, 07:42 AM
Members

i could take some pics if someone could tell me how to post them here??? i am new!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

sounds great, post some pictures and more details please.

p.s. copy paste the pictures
Old 02-27-2009, 06:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport, Carbon Black, Black half leather

So are you saying that the vid cable that goes into the back of the iDrive screen goes directly into this box and comes with the right cables to go back into the idrive screen? No cutting of wires. making a mess and basicly killing my E60.. Looks to easy..
Old 02-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Members

+1 For "Looks to Easy." Now I am wondering if you could use a more powerful GPS box such as the Garmin 53 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=10573). Lets see some more pics of either the install or this GPS thing in action.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525i sedan | Titanium Silver Exterior | Black Leather Interior | Premium Package | Sports Package

Subscribed to this thread, very interesting. Please post pics or DIY instructions when possible.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by TroyE60' post='803147' date='Feb 27 2009, 01:19 PM
Subscribed to this thread, very interesting. Please post pics or DIY instructions when possible.
+1
I've been thinking about doing something similar to this, but with a "carputer" instead of a stand alone GPS. The carputer would cost about the same as a GPS unit but would do much more, inlcuding Internet access, music, videos, GPS, etc...

I just wish I could find a good way to control it. I dont like the idea of a handheld remote control. I was thinking about something like this http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate
Old 02-28-2009, 01:37 AM
Members

[quote name='Epic' date='Feb 27 2009, 03:00 PM' post='802965']
So are you saying that the vid cable that goes into the back of the iDrive screen goes directly into this box and comes with the right cables to go back into the idrive screen? No cutting of wires. making a mess and basicly killing my E60.. Looks to easy..

there are no cutting of the idrive wires all cables come complete in the kit from pegasus its plug and play for the idrive av box apart from 4 wires.
+ 12v wire
- negative wire

2 canbus wires which have to be spliced in with the idrive plug (will need soldering iron and heat shrink tubing from maplin or similar)
all fitting instructions come with the kit specific to the e60.
i used the cigarete lighter for a switched power feed as it was the only switched feed i could find in the car, however this means that it powers off on when the key is in the start position.

with the av box you can select if you want 6.6" screen or the larger screen if you have it.

i cant be more helpfull re fitting pics as it is already installed.
if you are good at soldering/fitting car audio equipment you should find this install easy.

i have only used 1 of the inputs into the av box, it also accepts other av inputs and a reverse camera as well, the av box is a very good bit of kit which you could connect anything you wanted to it not just a gps box
ie car computer
dvd
ect ect

i will try to post some pics of the gps working

simon
Old 02-28-2009, 01:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jralber11' post='803130' date='Feb 27 2009, 06:01 PM
+1 For "Looks to Easy." Now I am wondering if you could use a more powerful GPS box such as the Garmin 53 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=10573). Lets see some more pics of either the install or this GPS thing in action.
i cant see why the garmin box would not work, i have had a quick look and it seems to have the right spec but i bet it is a lot more expensive than the ebay one!!
as long as it has a remote for the input of details as the idrive is not touch screen, basicaly youare "tapping into" the idrive when you use the pegasus av controller box.

will post some pics later.

simon
Old 02-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Members

as you can see the gps is mounted in the cd changer bay in the glovebox ( i dont have a changer as i use my parrot mk6000 media bluetooth player), the idrive av unit is located behind the dash to the left of the i drive screen (sorry no pics as already installed) the infrared remote reciever is located in the sunglasses case below the radio and is nicely out of the way, obviously you could adapt locations as you see fit but hopefully you will get the gist.

the idrive screen is very good and displays a good picture which is clear and bright.

simon
Attached Thumbnails GPS Fitted using i-drive screen-dsc04093.jpg   GPS Fitted using i-drive screen-dsc04094.jpg   GPS Fitted using i-drive screen-dsc04097.jpg   GPS Fitted using i-drive screen-dsc04098.jpg   GPS Fitted using i-drive screen-dsc04096.jpg  

GPS Fitted using i-drive screen-dsc04101.jpg  

Quick Reply: GPS Fitted using i-drive screen