DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Front Armrest Phone Tray

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Are you like me and think that the phone tray in the armrest is a waste of space??

You can unscrew the top holder from the plate to give you some more junk room in the armrest cubby, but I still found that it was inconvenient, and more than one thing in there meant that you couldn't close the lid properly.

I have been meaning to remove the holder completely for some time, but ivan545's pictures here: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=41899 prompted me to actually do it.

The phone holder is held in by a screw on one side of the pivot, (the other side of the pivot is just pushed in), so it isn't possible to remove it without smashing something.

As shown in the link, undo the centre console - 2 screws at the front bottom, 2 screws under the gear lever gaiter and 2 nuts behind the rear cubby or power socket plate (depending on model). It shouldn't be necessary to remove the armrest trim. Remove the electrical connection to the rear vents if fitted.

You should then be able to lift the entire console up about 4 inches. Looking under the armrest storage space, you will see 3 torx screws. Take these out. You can then lift up the entire storage box. It is a tight fit between the air vent at the front (if fitted) and the armrest hinge, but it will come OK. You will then see the phone holder pivots. Remove the small screw holding the gear for the damper and withdraw the holder. You can now put the storage box back in the armrest, screw it back up and refit the centre console.

This job took me about 30 minutes, and was a little fiddly due to the confined space under the armrest, and I did take off more trim than was really required.

I can now carry more junk about with me in the car!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Members

AHA SO IT IS POSSIBLE .. dealer told me the part is not removeable.

do you have any pictures of before and after? any progress photos?
Old 11-06-2009, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by ckrowi' post='1048822' date='Nov 6 2009, 10:21 AM
AHA SO IT IS POSSIBLE .. dealer told me the part is not removeable.

do you have any pictures of before and after? any progress photos?
There are a ton of threads about this. Here are just a few:

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3809
https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=47920
https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19533
Old 07-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Members

Thanks for the info - really helped remove the phone tray which I agree is a waste of space. Not very well engineered when you have to remove so much just to get to the 1 screw required to remove this!
Old 07-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

I also did this a few months ago, and it was a huge PITA. But very happy with the result.

I actually removed all 3 leather cover pieces on top of the storage box for leather refurbishing purposes, and while I was at it, I also removed the phone cradle.

The most difficult part is to get access to the 3 torx screws which are just under the front end of the sliding driver's armrest. You can't see anything and have to use your hand blindly to access them under the rear end slightly lifted armrest console.

One thing that surprised me was that I could not take out the armrest console due to the handbrake - does anyone know how to remove it completely?
Do I have to detach the handbrake string first, i.e. remove rear wheels and dismantle the brakes?