DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

FIXING THE RUST ON YOUR ROTORS

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 06:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

very nice job I will be doing my too next month
Old 05-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='583034' date='May 18 2008, 06:07 AM
Nice work. I started to do this job once but then chicken out for fear of overspraying other unwanted parts. So decided to search for high temperature paint that could be brush applied but then never got around to it.

Just curious to know why aren't you using the jacking points on the car?
Here is a quote from my original post:

"You'll see a hydraulic jack under the car not to worry it's not supporting the car just there as a precaution up against a control arm slightly touching it."

Rick...
Old 05-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='583034' date='May 18 2008, 06:07 AM
Nice work. I started to do this job once but then chicken out for fear of overspraying other unwanted parts.
Overspray with this paint is minimal. If you tape off the sections like Rick did and do it in a garage, you'll have no issues. And if you do get some overspray, wipes off easily with paint thinner or gas....I assume?
Old 05-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

I am curious what do you use to clean your wheels. It seems like a lot of rust. I have seen some rust on my rotors like little dots but nothing like what you have. Anyway, I recently painted my rotor and caliper as well. I painted it with dupli- color ceramic aluminum gloss paint and Universal gloss black on my caliper. Good job man.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by al_ongvano' post='583425' date='May 18 2008, 10:37 PM
I am curious what do you use to clean your wheels. It seems like a lot of rust. I have seen some rust on my rotors like little dots but nothing like what you have. Anyway, I recently painted my rotor and caliper as well. I painted it with dupli- color ceramic aluminum gloss paint and Universal gloss black on my caliper. Good job man.
Thanks, got any picts of your work? I actually did a 2 tone paint job. If you notice the caliper is silver but the part that holds the brakes is black. I'm going to get a small can of black and paint the part that holds the brake. The first time I masked them but this time I'll brush paint those parts.

Rick..
Old 05-19-2008, 05:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Looks great!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='583433' date='May 18 2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks, got any picts of your work? I actually did a 2 tone paint job. If you notice the caliper is silver but the part that holds the brakes is black. I'm going to get a small can of black and paint the part that holds the brake. The first time I masked them but this time I'll brush paint those parts.

Rick..
Next time I take my wheels off I'll make sure I take some pics.

Al
Old 05-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='583433' date='May 18 2008, 10:15 PM

Rick..
As promised here are some pictures of my work. Sorry, too lazy to take the wheels off.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530d titansilver, manual transmission BMW 535d titansilver, automatic + AMG shift Paddles

Wow, they look very slick indeed

And a question to slickrick : Say if I'd accidentally spray paint on the brake discs (rotors?), does it go away at the first serious brake ? Because I saw some overspray on your discs and then in the next picture it seems completely gone
Old 05-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

nice

Quick Reply: FIXING THE RUST ON YOUR ROTORS