5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/)
-   -   Exact Battery Replacement for BMW OEM Battery (https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/exact-battery-replacement-bmw-oem-battery-117656/)

psam550 11-04-2015 06:20 AM

What is the Amp Hour (Ah) Rating on Duralast Gold 95R DLG?

Hello Fellow Members,

I installed the Duralast 95R DLG battery in my '06 550i. It's a perfect fit and seems to be working fine. I registered it with the Carly for BMW phone app and its generation 2 adapter. I told Carly it was 90Ah AGM, which was an estimate, given that AUTOZONE/Duralast does not provide that information. Does anybody happen to know the actual amp hour rating of this AGM battery? Thx.

Psam550

skippy99 11-15-2017 06:27 AM

I have had an Autozone battery (exact fit) in my 535ix wagon for about a year and a half now. It replaced an original BMW battery. I registered it when it was installed. The car has occasionally shown signs that it does not like the battery, namely the clock reset on occasion. Now, after just a year and a half, the clock resets every time I get in the car...the BMW induced annoying telltale that the battery is no longer perfect.

I went over to my local BMW dealer to see if they would sell me a battery but they flat out won't. They claim that they need to see the exact battery that is in the car in order to match it and that has to be done by their service department. (i.e. pay $150 so they can tell you what battery you need or $400 for a replacement battery.) What sleazebags. Fortunately, I still have the old battery sitting on a shelf. I might just take it over there and say "Here, sell me this."

So....these third party batteries seem to work great, but they might be short lived. If I'm going to replace my battery non-BMW every 18 months, it might make sense to just buy the BMW battery and have it last 5+ years like my original one did.

Those of you who are using the non-BMW batteries, how long have you had them and how are they holding up?

lcc014 11-15-2017 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by skippy99 (Post 1592447)
I have had an Autozone battery (exact fit) in my 535ix wagon for about a year and a half now. It replaced an original BMW battery. I registered it when it was installed. The car has occasionally shown signs that it does not like the battery, namely the clock reset on occasion. Now, after just a year and a half, the clock resets every time I get in the car...the BMW induced annoying telltale that the battery is no longer perfect.

I went over to my local BMW dealer to see if they would sell me a battery but they flat out won't. They claim that they need to see the exact battery that is in the car in order to match it and that has to be done by their service department. (i.e. pay $150 so they can tell you what battery you need or $400 for a replacement battery.) What sleazebags. Fortunately, I still have the old battery sitting on a shelf. I might just take it over there and say "Here, sell me this."

So....these third party batteries seem to work great, but they might be short lived. If I'm going to replace my battery non-BMW every 18 months, it might make sense to just buy the BMW battery and have it last 5+ years like my original one did.

Those of you who are using the non-BMW batteries, how long have you had them and how are they holding up?

I replaced mine with Interstate battery MTP-H9 back in October 2011 at about 783xx miles. Now, Interstate battery is still running strong at 132xxx miles.

boss22 11-21-2017 01:55 PM

Hi everyone!
I just have registered here after reading this awesome thread!! :)

My 8years old OEM Exide battery was getting weak about 2 years ago but I am sucking a last drop of juice out of it by hooking it up to my battery tender every other day.
Yes, I had a numerous lack of power before, so I had to ask people for a jump many times (I am carrying jumper cables with me all the time lol)
Finally it is time to replace it because this winter I need a reliable start finally. I Like the Duralast Gold 95R DLG but also I am considering Interstate MTP 95R
Which one will be better in your opinion?
Sorry for my English grammar, I hope it's not that bad ;)

JayArras 11-21-2017 02:15 PM

Welcome to the forum! Buy the battery that gives you the best warranty and most closely matches the specs of your current battery. If anything is different, be sure to register it.

boss22 11-21-2017 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by JayArras (Post 1592556)
Welcome to the forum! Buy the battery that gives you the best warranty and most closely matches the specs of your current battery. If anything is different, be sure to register it.

Hi JayArras. Thanks! Yes that's right, I agree here. Duralast 95R DLG has a matching CCA which is 850 but it doesn't say anything about Amp hours (Ah) on the tag and I need 110Ah, Interstate MTP 95R-H9 matches both Ah and CCA. Warranty is pretty much the same 36 months on Duralast vs 30 months on Interstate. I will probably buy Duralast 95R DLG but we will see.
I dont have any experience with Autozone batterries and I am not convinced if this will be a good battery..? I've replaced a battery in my wife's Lexus IS250 about six years ago and it is still going strong as new. It was a DIE Hard Gold from SEARS - highly recommended battery but I cant find any counterpart to fit above specs.

I see that you are located in Connecticut, so question to you my friend: Could you recommend a good BMW shop/garage around? My valve cover gasket has a pretty bad leak (very common issue as you probably know) but this is a whole diff story.

I appreciate your contribution to this!

JayArras 11-21-2017 05:08 PM

I live downstate in Fairfield County, so I'm an hour away from you. The indie I use would be too far to travel for you. I'm sorry, but I don't know of who to recommend in your area, but you can try looking up someone on this list:

https://www.bimmershops.com/

I would not hesitate to buy a Duralast battery. In fact, that's what I have. I purchased it online for about $150 and picked it up in the store. Registration cost me $40, so I was good to go for under $200.00.

boss22 11-21-2017 06:05 PM

Yeah I think I will give a chance to Duralast. Can't go wrong with their 3 year free replacement so there is nothing to loose.
I will put the car on the charger once a week anyways as this is my routine now and I can't go a few days without it LOL!
My new battery will be the luckiest thing ever :lol::lol:

Thank you for the bmw shops link :)

boss22 11-25-2017 01:30 PM

Ok, so here it is. I've purchased Duralast Gold 95-R DLG today before noon. Brought it home, hooked up to my reliable battery tender and now is almost 6pm and still red light is on (means it is still charging).
The new battery was 12.55V right off the shelf. Even my old junk battery (still original BMW Exide in trunk) had at least 80% after 3-4 hours of charge (green light blinking means it is around 75-80% charged)

Battery tender is 100% working good.

I'll keep charging overnight, if the green light won't show up in the morning I will have to return it to Autozone and get a little more expensive Interstate.

Edit: ''The eye'' inside the battery that should indicate green, was never green when I took it from the shelf, even after 6 hours of charging it doesn't appear to be even close to that color ;((

Edit2: Scratch all the above! My new Duralast is around 80% full. Tomorrow or Monday I will install it in my ''baby'' :D

neoe60 09-28-2020 10:00 PM

September 28, 2020 UPDATE!!

Hey all!

That Duralast battery really lived up to its name! It came with an 8 yr warranty and it finally started petering out this past month. I could probably ride it another couple of months or more but winter is about to hit and I didn't want to risk having a dead battery in the middle of winter.

I guess they don't make batteries anymore with 8 yr warranties LOL so I ended up getting this one, which is exact fit as well:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...r-h9/2130016-P
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/5series...4fb0a2c417.jpg

I got it for:
$169.99
- $16.99 10% off code
- $5.00 coupon for signing up with Speed Perks
====================================
$147.99

PRODUCT DETAILS
Part No. 95R/H9
Warranty Details: 3 YR FREE REPLACEMENT

DieHard Gold batteries are engineered for maximum starting power in any climate. That means you can relax knowing you'll get your car started, even on the coldest or hottest of days. DieHard Gold automotive batteries meet or exceed the manufacturers power (CCA) and reserve capacity requirements for your vehicle, ensuring you get the power you need for a quick start every time. DieHard Gold batteries are engineered with Stamped Grid technology, which is a stronger and more durable positive grid. If you are looking for more power, upgrade to the DieHard Platinum.Don't want to bother with installing your new DieHard battery? Stop by your nearest Advance Auto Parts store and take advantage of our FREE battery testing and installation on most vehicles and at most locations. We offer free battery and electrical system testing and free recycling of your old automotive battery. Advance Auto Parts offers helpful advice about a variety of products, including car batteries.

Product Features:
  • Designed to deliver superior reliability, starting power and provide an increased battery lifespan
  • Built to meet and exceed vehicle starting and reserve capacity power requirements
  • Maintenance free for maximum convenience
  • Engineered with positive Stamped Grid technology which virtually eliminates premature failure, and is up to 66% more durable and more corrosion-resistant than other grid designs
  • Stamped grid technology provides superior starting performance with up to 70% better electrical flow than other grid technologies. This means more consistent starts
  • Our Stamped Grid manufacturing process uses 20% less energy and releases 20% fewer greenhouse gas emissions than other manufacturing methods
  • For vehicles with increased electrical load, upgrade to a DieHard Platinum AGM Battery
SPECIFICATIONS
Cold Cranking Amperage: 950 A
Height: 7.5 in
Length: 15.562 in
Width: 6.937 in
Negative Terminal Location: Top Left
Positive Terminal Location: Top Right
Terminal Type: Top Mount
Voltage: 12.0 VDC
Weight: 63.91 lb
Reserve Capacity: 190 min