DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Electronic system malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008 | 04:58 AM
Members

Hello, Yesterday as soon as I started my 2004 e60, it displayed a message' electronic system malfunction' followed with a symbol with the car on lift. The car has 65000 mls. The message and the symbol dissapear after about 30 seconds and every thing worked fine , no other faults were noted. I shut down and started the car soon after and the message never came back. The car drove fine and every thing seem normal. Has anyone experienced this? Could it be that my battery needs changing? Any help is welcome. Thanks
Old 09-29-2008 | 08:06 PM
Members

I had this happen when my wife was driving the car last week. I took it to the service department and the ran a battery of diagnostics and found nothing. The car runs fine and has not done it since...gremlins. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 10-01-2008 | 05:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by jksnowfire' post='681499' date='Sep 29 2008, 09:06 PM
I had this happen when my wife was driving the car last week. I took it to the service department and the ran a battery of diagnostics and found nothing. The car runs fine and has not done it since...gremlins. Anyone else have this issue?
While I have not had that specific issue, I have periodically experienced Active Steering malfunction errors, a Passenger Restraint System Error, and increased emmissions error on start-up.

I've learned to treat my E60 like a windows PC. As with a PC, I'll 'reboot' by turning the car off, wait about a minute, then restart. If the error returns then its a trip to the dealer. With so many electronic components to monitor, I think that occassionally a hiccup could occur in the diagnostic tests, even when no real failure exists. So I shut down and try again to see if the error reoccurs. Log the time and date of the error though. Good luck!
Old 10-01-2008 | 06:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='682627' date='Oct 1 2008, 08:42 AM
While I have not had that specific issue, I have periodically experienced Active Steering malfunction errors, a Passenger Restraint System Error, and increased emmissions error on start-up.

I've learned to treat my E60 like a windows PC. As with a PC, I'll 'reboot' by turning the car off, wait about a minute, then restart. If the error returns then its a trip to the dealer. With so many electronic components to monitor, I think that occassionally a hiccup could occur in the diagnostic tests, even when no real failure exists. So I shut down and try again to see if the error reoccurs. Log the time and date of the error though. Good luck!