DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

e60 trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 05:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hello. New to the forum.

I just got an 04 545i. The dealer would not let me choose any trim other than wood. But I love the Anthracite aluminum trim, so I ordered it after I got my car.

DOES anyone know how to remove the trim that is in there?? On my e39, it simply pulled right off. I tried that on the back door pull cover and broke the wood trim. It seems to be affixed in a more permanent way on this car.

So if anyone knows how to get this trim off, please let me know. THANKS.

Also, I will be putting pics on after I get the trim on. You can order it from the dealer or from www.circlebmw.com at a pretty reasonable price.

I will also include pics of my new schnitzer front air dam and my awesome new deep dish wheels on it. The car looks sharp.

I've been debating a rear deck lid spoiler. Does anyone know of any good ones out there?? I want something understated like the one on the e39 M5.

Thanks and PLEASE let me know about the trim.

Here is a pic of my last e39 5 series just for kicks.

-Herc
Attached Thumbnails e60 trim-e39.jpg  
Old 08-18-2004, 05:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

I don't know a thing about the trim question. But the spoiler thing has been debated on here a ton of times. Try doing a search to see comments and votes (along with pics).

IMO, the OEM spoiler is the way to go. The reason why I like it is because it's the most understated (to me). I really do not like the ACS and others. The OEM version is cake to install too (pre-painted and with super adhesive).

Herc, update your signature with your specs too (please).
Old 08-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Contributors

May I ask how much the trim cost? Don't know how to install it, but I'd consider going with the titanium trim in the future.

Look forward to the pics. For a rear spoiler, I favor the ACS, breyton and the subtle M5 lip.

Just my opinion, but the factory spoiler goes hand in hand with the clear tails.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:09 PM
Contributors

I too want to change trim and looked a little into what must be done. I wanted to do it myself as you do. Well, as a start, the door handle trim is screwed from behind and the whole door pannel has to come off to reach those screws.nIt may be easy with the tools and skill from doing it many times, but that is not me. I am also apprehensive about dealing with the air bags in the doors that probably need to be disconnected.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by herc7' date='Aug 18 2004, 07:06 PM
DOES anyone know how to remove the trim that is in there??? On my e39, it simply pulled right off.? I tried that on the back door pull cover and broke the wood trim.? It seems to be affixed in a more permanent way on this car.
I will also be changing out the wood trim with either the Titan II trim or the real brushed aluminum trim from the upcoming E60 M5. I would be interested in how much all the trims cost you so that I can compare it with the dealer in Munich when I do my ED. It may not be worth buying it in Munich, depending on the price.

If the E60 trims are installed and removed like the X5 (which I think they are), then the dash trims can be removed by prying them out wih a wedge shaped tool or screwdriver. Obviously you have to take precautions not to scratch or tear the surrounding area. If the trims on the door pulls are the same way as the X5's then you need to actually remove the door panel and unscrew it from behind. You would be able to tell if this is the case by looking at your new door pull trim piece and seeing if there is a screw hole in it.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes (as well as prices, if you don't mind)

Thanks,
Old 08-19-2004, 09:28 AM
Members

What they call the Anthracite Aluminum trim cost me 230 for the four pieces. The four door strips were an additional fifty per. I got them through Circle BMW. I'm not sure where they are, but I think you can go on www.circlebmw.com and get to their internet parts division. They are the cheapest around.

This trim is actual metal overlay, so it is real metal as opposed to the titanium, which is simply plastic finished to look like metal.

Thanks,

Herc
Old 08-19-2004, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by herc7' date='Aug 19 2004, 11:28 AM
What they call the Anthracite Aluminum trim cost me 230 for the four pieces. The four door strips were an additional fifty per. I got them through Circle BMW. I'm not sure where they are, but I think you can go on www.circlebmw.com and get to their internet parts division. They are the cheapest around.

This trim is actual metal overlay, so it is real metal as opposed to the titanium, which is simply plastic finished to look like metal.

Thanks,

Herc
good info.. ! thanks!

did you also price check against Pacific BMW??

Old 08-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Aug 19 2004, 03:25 AM
If the E60 trims are installed and removed like the X5 (which I think they are), then the dash trims can be removed by prying them out wih a wedge shaped tool or screwdriver. Obviously you have to take precautions not to scratch or tear the surrounding area. If the trims on the door pulls are the same way as the X5's then you need to actually remove the door panel and unscrew it from behind. You would be able to tell if this is the case by looking at your new door pull trim piece and seeing if there is a screw hole in it.

Thanks,
I dont have a diy but i have replace the trim ... "then the dash trims can be removed by prying them out wih a wedge shaped tool or screwdriver. " shift console are held by 2 torx screw "need to remove shift boot" and and as for the door trim you will need to remove the door panel to access 2 10mm nut and 3 8mm nut .. before you oepn the door panel you will need to unplug the battery since you will be unplugging the side airbag ... if you guys need any more info just pm me

Herb
Old 08-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Members

ps I check my receipt. It was $260 for the four pieces. And for anyone interested, I have four extra. They mixed up my order and told me they had no record of it, so they re-ordered. Then I got two sets at my doorstep. I can either ship back or give it to someone here. It's still in the original packaging. I think regular dealer cost is over $300. I am happy to get rid of it for $250 if anyone is interested. But let me know soon, or I have to send it back to Circle.

-h.

ps If you want pics of it, let me know and I will take some. The pics would be off the car, b/c I have not installed my set yet.