DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

E60 Towbar Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all,

Planning on putting a tow bar on my e60 m sport.
Towing is primarily for a jet ski. nothing too heavy.

Is it easy enough to bolt on the BMW OEM factory tow bar. The wiring is the issue.
i thought i read somewhere that there was a lovely little box that you simply plug a OEM bmw cable into and presto.

is this just a myth.
Really don't want to get started unless i have all the bits.

FYI, Spoke to BMW parts. Not really helpful. they said it can't be done.... then i went to an exhaust place who called them whilst i was there (with my VIN number)...
i heard everything... OEM towbar for e 60 m sport...costs $640AUD bla bla bla...

so have to pose as a fitting company to get any parts for this exercise...

any thoughts..
Old 06-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Contributors

Hi.

Fitting an OEM towing bar is quite easy, even if you have the m-tech package. The only thing to keep in mind, is that you'll need to code the retrofit (electronics) to the car, otherwise the trailer won't light up.

For the actual tow-bar, it bolt nicely into existing welded nuts under the car. You might have to take down the exhaust, but I guess this depends on the availability of a lift or similar.
For the electronics, it is a small box which goes into the spare wheel well (where the micro-power module is). This box is then connected to the trailer-connector and then to the car's canbus and 12V/earth. There is a designated fuse for this as well. The cable from the electronics box and down to the trailer connector should go through the body just behind the battery, in the bumper and down to the hitch. You'll have to drill a hole in the car's body, but don't worry, it won't be visible :-) The hole should be just beside where the cable to the DWA runs.

Good luck.

Tommy.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by ulvit
hi all,

Planning on putting a tow bar on my e60 m sport.
Towing is primarily for a jet ski. nothing too heavy.

Is it easy enough to bolt on the BMW OEM factory tow bar. The wiring is the issue.
i thought i read somewhere that there was a lovely little box that you simply plug a OEM bmw cable into and presto.

is this just a myth.
Really don't want to get started unless i have all the bits.

FYI, Spoke to BMW parts. Not really helpful. they said it can't be done.... then i went to an exhaust place who called them whilst i was there (with my VIN number)...
i heard everything... OEM towbar for e 60 m sport...costs $640AUD bla bla bla...

so have to pose as a fitting company to get any parts for this exercise...

any thoughts..
The OEM BMW towbar is made by Westfalia - see their website for possible dealers/importers in your neck of the woods.
The Electrickery box does NOT require coding to the car - it is easy to fit, although expensive. Again, there are aftermarket versions to be had cheaper than BMW's offering.
You don't need to drill anything - there is room in existing plastic grommets behind the bumper for the towbar wiring.

For the MSport, you will need a blanking plate to cover the hole for the towbar. Most people bite the bullet and buy a complete lower infill panel and towbar cover from BMW - it doesn't seem to cost the earth, although it will need spraying.

Mike
Old 07-20-2010, 05:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by AlwynMike
The OEM BMW towbar is made by Westfalia - see their website for possible dealers/importers in your neck of the woods.
The Electrickery box does NOT require coding to the car - it is easy to fit, although expensive. Again, there are aftermarket versions to be had cheaper than BMW's offering.
You don't need to drill anything - there is room in existing plastic grommets behind the bumper for the towbar wiring.

For the MSport, you will need a blanking plate to cover the hole for the towbar. Most people bite the bullet and buy a complete lower infill panel and towbar cover from BMW - it doesn't seem to cost the earth, although it will need spraying.

Mike
Are you sure coding is not necessary for the OEM elextronics box? Progman has an retrofit-alternative for towbar electronics...
And the OEM cable harness has a big rubber grommet on it which should have its own hole?

Just curious.

Tommy.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by trex
Are you sure coding is not necessary for the OEM elextronics box? Progman has an retrofit-alternative for towbar electronics...
And the OEM cable harness has a big rubber grommet on it which should have its own hole?

Just curious.

Tommy.
Thanks for your help guys.
I have seen a lot of (non BMW branded) towbars online going for half the price, but don't inlcude wiring...
This is the main concern as i didn't want any crap with warnings about malfuncitons.

Found a crew in Melbourne that will install it, but getting all the parts direct from BMW....
saving about $1500AUS for someone else to do this.....
Old 07-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for your help guys.
I have seen a lot of (non BMW branded) towbars online going for half the price, but don't inlcude wiring...
This is the main concern as i didn't want any crap with warnings about malfuncitons.

Found a crew in Melbourne that will install it, but getting all the parts direct from BMW....
saving about $1500AUS for someone else to do this.....
You'll be fine with the BMW kit. It may be worth mentioning that the BMW wiring box does NOT come with any instructions - you have to ask the dealership to print them out for your fitter. Knowing this may save an extra trip to the dealers!

Fitting the bar by someone experienced in modern towbars should take less than an hour - it really is that easy! Wiring perhaps another hour, maybe less if they've done an E60/E61 before.

Mike
Old 07-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Members

You'll be fine with the BMW kit. It may be worth mentioning that the BMW wiring box does NOT come with any instructions - you have to ask the dealership to print them out for your fitter. Knowing this may save an extra trip to the dealers!

Fitting the bar by someone experienced in modern towbars should take less than an hour - it really is that easy! Wiring perhaps another hour, maybe less if they've done an E60/E61 before.

Mike
Thanks mike,

These guys are fairly experienced with modern car towbar installs. They are the first company i contacted that said yes...most other companies in Australia usually look at a provider catalog and don't even think of an original..

Looking forward to it. It should be good for the summer to tow my jetski
Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Senior Members

Thanks mike,

These guys are fairly experienced with modern car towbar installs. They are the first company i contacted that said yes...most other companies in Australia usually look at a provider catalog and don't even think of an original..

Looking forward to it. It should be good for the summer to tow my jetski
Good. Enjoy your summer. I'm looking out at a typical UK summers day - overcast and threatening to rain!!
Oh well. May get the caravan out next week and terrorise a few innocent motorists with it!!

Mike
Old 07-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Members

Good. Enjoy your summer. I'm looking out at a typical UK summers day - overcast and threatening to rain!!
Oh well. May get the caravan out next week and terrorise a few innocent motorists with it!!

Mike
If anyone has photo's of what a factory towbar set up looks like, could you please post..
I am very interested to know what standard i am aiming for...
In particular, something showing the extra panel that has been advised in a previous post.

regards,

Steve
Old 07-25-2010, 01:58 AM
Senior Members

If anyone has photo's of what a factory towbar set up looks like, could you please post..
I am very interested to know what standard i am aiming for...
In particular, something showing the extra panel that has been advised in a previous post.

regards,

Steve
Steve,

Mine's an SE, so I can't help, but have a look at :

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=94645

(scroll down for pictures)
As noted, the Westfalia is the one that BMW use as OEM, and StuyMac's car has the OEM panel and infill.

I'm pretty certain that there's pictures on an E61 Sport on BMWLand somewhere too - which will be almost identical to the E60

Mike

Quick Reply: E60 Towbar Installation