DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

E60 rear view camera - how do I wire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.

I have an MY2004 E60 with navi pro and TV.
Is there any way of fitting a rear view camera and connect it to the TV-module and make it switch on when hitting reverse?

I know this can be done by using the ACM, but I have heard it can be done without the ACM as well.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Tommy.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 535xi, 1991 M5

Also interested in the same topic, but for a 2008 535xi. I just talked to my dealer. We were trying to print out installation instructions for rear view camera, but the web site he was trying to pull this info from was down.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

I purchased Modmynav oem style rear view camera and multimedia harness. No where on their DIY instructions says how to access and wire the rear view camera. They just say everything is plug and play and no splicing required. Everything is plug and play till you get to the part of installing rear view camera. You have to run a wire from the reverse light from your tailight to all the way to the front where the multimedia module sits in your dashboard.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Members

Can the review camera (plug in and play) be installed on e60 with a standard sat Nav with no TV optioned...?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Senior Members

I think there was a DIY section on this board from a vendor who sells the PNP back up camera with video option. The camera goes where the trunk latch is. I can't find it anymore but did read about it and was very interested in this mod since my daughter wants to watch her cartoons in the car.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:33 AM
Members

I think the best option is getting it from www.modmynav.com

I recently installed it and it was such a breeze! Although, basic knowledge and experience / patience should be present as it takes some efforts to run the cable from the trunk to the screen and if you wanna install a front cam then it takes some time to access the front as well. And Kris gives tech support like you have never experienced before. I dont think the guy sleeps, as my every and several emails were promptly answered, day or night! That too, I am based in India! Besides, you get the option to install 2 other video sources. I am in the process of adding a front cam and a FLIR night vision cam.

Good luck!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by krisaowa
I think the best option is getting it from www.modmynav.com

I recently installed it and it was such a breeze! Although, basic knowledge and experience / patience should be present as it takes some efforts to run the cable from the trunk to the screen and if you wanna install a front cam then it takes some time to access the front as well. And Kris gives tech support like you have never experienced before. I dont think the guy sleeps, as my every and several emails were promptly answered, day or night! That too, I am based in India! Besides, you get the option to install 2 other video sources. I am in the process of adding a front cam and a FLIR night vision cam.

Good luck!
Can you show the path from the trunk to the dash? What piece of trims are needed to be taken off and how ? I am also going to install a rearview camera as I had gotten the ACM module. I need information/knowledge to route the cable from dash to trunk.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Members

http://modmynav.com/install/diy/MMN-E60DIY.pdf
Old 06-30-2010, 04:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by krisaowa
Thanks for providing the installation instruction of the rearview camera interface module. In this instruction, it mentioned that the instruction to run the rearview camera cable from trunk to dash is in another document - Back up camera DIY guide. Do you have this DIY guide ?
Old 10-15-2010, 04:26 AM
New Members

After an accident, I wanted to install a car camera, so I got this Rear View Camera from espow.com. Useful to document my radar detector encounters as well. As for the rear view mirror itself, though bulky, the anti-glare works great, especially since I never had auto-dimming, and I like the wide-angle view. I can see my kid, the rear, as well as the sides of the car at the same time.

Quick Reply: E60 rear view camera - how do I wire?