DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this excellent write-up, the information provided is very accurate, after reading this and other posts I have done mine as well.

My vehicle has 72k miles and had developed the shudder when taking off from a start, would drop into different gears while driving at between 30 to 45 mph and other associated symptoms that I have seen observed in these forums. I had a leak that got worse over time, and I got a warning light. I checked around and the dealership wanted 1500 to change the pan and the related fluid. I ordered parts thru RM European and they were fast and reasonable. I checked on the fluid, wound up using the Pentosin ATF1.

While waiting for the parts, I talked with the local ZF dealer who referred me to Redline, who reccomended their #4 ATF fluid. I added nearly 3 quarts and at first thought something terribly wrong had occured, as the trans really started hitting the gears hard. I called my brother who has a tranny shop, and he thought clearing the transmission memory by removing the cables and grounding them would force the adaptive trans to relearn the shifts/pressures would help. After doing that, I drove the vehicle on the freeway for about 20 minutes, and the shifts settled right down. When my parts came I drained and refilled with the Pentosin, and took the vehicle out, nothing exotic, just drained what came out(it was very dark) and refilled it after changing the pan/filter.

The greatest risk in mixing fluids in regards to permanent damage would be in foaming. The Shell spec BMW fluid has an additive that helps the trans slip into gears, which delivers the Butter smooth shifts that many of the luxury customers want, there is no majic in their fluid, and it, in my opinion, isn't worth the $24/half-liter they were trying to charge me at the dealership.

Vehicle drives like new now, no leaks, no problems.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by will2k' post='1061328' date='Nov 23 2009, 11:47 PM
How has the transmission been acting since having this running for a couple of weeks? what are your thoughts on using Pentosin instead of ZF lifeguardfluid 6 which is recommended fluid from ZF?

if anyone else used Pentosin, I would like to know your thoughts as well! I have to change my out because there was a crack on my oil pan.

My dilemma is I cannot find ZF lifeguard 6, so looking for another alternative, But if you cannot get a 100% flush and you have to have 2 brands mix wouldnt this be bad?

Thanks in advance for you input.
I also recently changed the ATF in my e60. I used the Pentosin ATF1 that I saw recommended here and other places as well.

The car now has approx 105,000 miles and the tranny was working fine before the change using the Pentosin ATF1, but now shifts a tiny bit better, again it was always very smooth and fairly quick, but now it's at least as good, maybe a touch better. It's been about 2500 miles since I changed it. Also as an extra note, it's been really cold here in northwest NJ, 9F for instance this morning, and the tranny shifts perfect when cold and same as once it fully warms.

The change was actually pretty easy once I got the car up on jack stands and the covers off. I bought 6 liters and used 5.75 liters to refill, and now have just a quarter of a liter left on the shelf.

I'll change it again next fall. Was worth the $95 or so for the 6 liters as I strongly believe that changing fluids is one of the keys to the longevity of automobiles. And since I put a lot of miles on my cars, this is important to me. My e60 runs virtually the same as it did when new, and that is the real good thing, not just to make a car last a long time, but to have it run WELL for a long time.

I would strongly recommend the Pentosin ATF1.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Contributors

I have over 7k miles on Pentosin ATF1 currently. Car shifts smooth as ever.
Also, to add some prespective to lifetime fluids. Looks like MB has changed it's stance on them, and now recommends drain and fill at 39k miles. I will be doing a 722.9 transmission (7 speed) on my friends sister's MB next week. Looks like, too many transmission warranty claims by MB owners, finally had them change their stance.
Let's see how long before BMW follows.
Regards.
Raj
Old 12-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 968turboS' post='1076724' date='Dec 19 2009, 06:14 PM
I have over 7k miles on Pentosin ATF1 currently. Car shifts smooth as ever.
Also, to add some prespective to lifetime fluids. Looks like MB has changed it's stance on them, and now recommends drain and fill at 39k miles. I will be doing a 722.9 transmission (7 speed) on my friends sister's MB next week. Looks like, too many transmission warranty claims by MB owners, finally had them change their stance.
Let's see how long before BMW follows.
Regards.
Raj
Right, it just seems silly to NOT change the fluids, including transmission, differential, power steering, brake, coolant, etc.

Just out of curiosity, what fluid will you be using in the MB 7-speed?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vaca' post='1077687' date='Dec 21 2009, 01:53 PM
Right, it just seems silly to NOT change the fluids, including transmission, differential, power steering, brake, coolant, etc.

Just out of curiosity, what fluid will you be using in the MB 7-speed?
It's Fuch's 3343, which is MB approved fluid. They are the oem supplier for MB ATF.
Regards.
Raj
Old 12-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by vaca' post='1075979' date='Dec 18 2009, 01:17 PM
I also recently changed the ATF in my e60. I used the Pentosin ATF1 that I saw recommended here and other places as well.

The car now has approx 105,000 miles and the tranny was working fine before the change using the Pentosin ATF1, but now shifts a tiny bit better, again it was always very smooth and fairly quick, but now it's at least as good, maybe a touch better. It's been about 2500 miles since I changed it. Also as an extra note, it's been really cold here in northwest NJ, 9F for instance this morning, and the tranny shifts perfect when cold and same as once it fully warms.

The change was actually pretty easy once I got the car up on jack stands and the covers off. I bought 6 liters and used 5.75 liters to refill, and now have just a quarter of a liter left on the shelf.

I'll change it again next fall. Was worth the $95 or so for the 6 liters as I strongly believe that changing fluids is one of the keys to the longevity of automobiles. And since I put a lot of miles on my cars, this is important to me. My e60 runs virtually the same as it did when new, and that is the real good thing, not just to make a car last a long time, but to have it run WELL for a long time.

I would strongly recommend the Pentosin ATF1.

Is it me or does these seem like the most perfectly formed responsive post? I feel like someone is selling me something....I mean this is text-book perfect! Opening statement, supporting detail one + supporting evidence 1 and 2, supporting detail two + supporting evidence 1 and 2. Very well written.

Anyone give any consideration to: Swepco 714 ATF?
Old 12-22-2009, 05:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by refaie1' post='1077886' date='Dec 21 2009, 09:35 PM
Is it me or does these seem like the most perfectly formed responsive post? I feel like someone is selling me something....I mean this is text-book perfect! Opening statement, supporting detail one + supporting evidence 1 and 2, supporting detail two + supporting evidence 1 and 2. Very well written.

Anyone give any consideration to: Swepco 714 ATF?
Thanks for the compliment on my writing, and I'm not even in the marketing field :-) Nor do I work for Pentosin or any oil or automotive company.

I've heard of Swepco, but never considered their ATF for my 530i. What do you know about this Swepco 714?
Old 01-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Members

Great thread. My dealer quoted $941.00 for replacing the transmission pan/filter, $431.00 just for parts, with using the old oil. I bought the parts from zm euporean for 200.00 delivered. one difference on my 2004 E60 530i, my OEM pan bolts are T-27, the new ones from zmeuporean are T-40.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Senior Members

so i went ahead and did a drain & fill on my 06' 525xi today. i got the Pentosin ATF1 from my local CPI parts store for $12.50/quart. i only have 60k on my car so i didn't change the pan/filter. i drained out about 4.2 quarts and i was able to get 4 quarts back into it. i used the pump that Raj had mentioned from pepboys which works fantastic and i also used the infared temp gun which is very helpful. one thing to mention for you XI owners is that you WILL have to unbolt the front driveshaft from the transfer case but that is just 4 bolts and then a smack with a rubber mallet. the shifter linkage does not block the fill plug on the XI cars.

i am going to drain & refill the fluid again at 80k and then change the pan/filter at 100K. i feel that the system should be almost full of new fluid by then, LOL!

thanks for the write-up and the tips Raj!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 525
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by 737flyer' post='1046746' date='Nov 4 2009, 08:32 AM
...I like your 944. I had a 87 red 944s. Great car.

Ouch! As a former 968 owner, that mixup stikes a nerve.

Great writeup and pics. First warm spring day, I'm ready to tackle this one.

Quick Reply: DIY ZF 6HP19Z Transmission Drain & Refill