DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY M rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black/BlacK

Thanks for the bump I order a mtech rear recently and will be using this! (i couldnt find it in search for some reason)
Old 11-21-2010, 04:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

Is this the oem bumper or one from trinity. what are those 2 support plastics for the sides? does the stock bumper have those already ? or do u need to replace those too
Old 11-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
Is this the oem bumper or one from trinity. what are those 2 support plastics for the sides? does the stock bumper have those already ? or do u need to replace those too
This is for the OEM.
The standard bumper has the side supports, but they are slightly different compared to the supports that are used with the OEM mtech rear bumper.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by inktoxicated

Originally Posted by Anzafin
This is for the OEM.
The standard bumper has the side supports, but they are slightly different compared to the supports that are used with the OEM mtech rear bumper.

Yes, the standard side brackets are shorter than the M-TECH. The bumper may mount on top, but the bottom part of the bumper would just hang there due to the shorter standard side brackets. Here are the M-TECH rear brackets

Left mount for M: 51127896615
Right mount for M: 51127896616
Guide center for M: 51127897144

Balbs

Last edited by balbs; 02-20-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Made the most of glorious sunny day in Autumn.
Finally managed to install my rear bumper today using these brilliant instructions. Did it all myself in less that 2 hours from start to finish.

Few tips,
1. You don't need to remove the carpet from the boot, as per the instructions.
2. You can use a sharp scissor to cut the plastic wheel arches. No need for a dremel or angle grinder.
3. My car didn't have any Push plugs inside the wheel arches, just the hex screws along the ends.
4. Check what hardware you have for the conversion before you start. I followed Andy's instructions and bought two packets of Push plugs, only to find that I didn't use a single of those because my bumper came with a small packet of 6 of these, of which I needed only 4. Two on either side and two at the bottom in the centre.
5. However I didn't get any hardware to connect the diffuser to the bumper! Here again Andy's instructions show some Torx screws at the end of the diffuser but realoem shows the same screws used all around the diffuser. So you need 6 screws and 6 Clips for sheet metal. Part number 07149156623 and 07146954937.
See http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...51&fg=15&hl=17
6. Infact, if you are careful, you don't need any extra hardware for the bumper itself because everything can be removed from the old bumper and reused. So ignore everything that Andy tells you to buy at the beginning. Just check that you are able to connect the diffuser to the bumper, and if so you have everything. Sure, new Push pins are good but you need only 4 and they come in packets of 10.

Otherwise everything is exactly how it's shown here. No need to jack the car up, and no need to remove the wheels. A "Flexible bit holder" is an invaluable tool!

P.S. : Am I the last person to install a Quad_M supplier bumper....
Old 02-20-2013, 03:50 PM
New Members

Hi, is there a difference between pre-facelift and lci m-packet kits??
Old 02-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

Originally Posted by peshi
Hi, is there a difference between pre-facelift and lci m-packet kits??
If you have PDC, I believe the PDC holes are different sizes depending on pre-LCI or LCI. Also, I think the brackets for the front are different between.

However, aside from those I heard something that an LCI kit can generally work on a pre-LCI but not the other way around.

I'm not sure on any of these so I hope somebody here can chime in and confiirm.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 PM
New Members

My Ride: 08' 550i 6spd manual M-Sport & 07' M5

Today, i installed a rear carbon diffuser on my factory M-sports bumper, without removing the rear bumper.
(got it from eBay, this user Pillar Cover, Emblems Badges Letters items in 3A MOTOR US store on eBay! )

So yes, it can be done, but it's a little work and expect to get rather dirty.

I didn't jack the car, did everything with needle nose pliers (to remove those 2 pesky plastic push rivets), a Star bit (Torx), with ratchet. (1/4" size)
For the top 4 screws that join the top of diffuser with bumper, it's obviously the hardest part, there is almost no room to work with and you have to push out the rear bumper as much as possible to force the ratchet and bit in the space. (i also loosened the top/rear bumper screws inside the trunk to allow for more flexing)
It took me about an hour and a half, and a ton of sand, rock, and NC pollen in my hair and ears, but it wasn't so bad.

Now I can get to the muffler shop and have them make some dual/quad exhaust.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:48 AM
New Members

My Ride: 550i M Package

Originally Posted by societymike
Today, i installed a rear carbon diffuser on my factory M-sports bumper, without removing the rear bumper.
(got it from eBay, this user Pillar Cover, Emblems Badges Letters items in 3A MOTOR US store on eBay! )

So yes, it can be done, but it's a little work and expect to get rather dirty.

I didn't jack the car, did everything with needle nose pliers (to remove those 2 pesky plastic push rivets), a Star bit (Torx), with ratchet. (1/4" size)
For the top 4 screws that join the top of diffuser with bumper, it's obviously the hardest part, there is almost no room to work with and you have to push out the rear bumper as much as possible to force the ratchet and bit in the space. (i also loosened the top/rear bumper screws inside the trunk to allow for more flexing)
It took me about an hour and a half, and a ton of sand, rock, and NC pollen in my hair and ears, but it wasn't so bad.

Now I can get to the muffler shop and have them make some dual/quad exhaust.
I am at a bodyshop now because I read you have to take the bumper off. I just saw the tech pull off the stock diffuser without doing anything to the bumper. Looks a lot easier on a lift. No need to take the entire bumper off, at least as far as the 2007 550i M-package goes. I got my carbon fiber diffuser from ebay as well.