DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY- Fuel pump - Fuel filter change

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 X5 4.4i Sport 2004 545i 6-Speed

Originally Posted by 5456SPD
does the speacial tool you used (Mac Tools FP940) work for the filter/sending unit collar? Or is it just for the pump side?

I am only doing the filter but would really like to find the right tool. seems difficult to use hammers, screwdrivers, etc to get the collar off.

Anyone have any good advice for removing the collar for the fuel filter?
Can anyone answer my question?
Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by 5456SPD
does the speacial tool you used (Mac Tools FP940) work for the filter/sending unit collar? Or is it just for the pump side?

I am only doing the filter but would really like to find the right tool. seems difficult to use hammers, screwdrivers, etc to get the collar off.

Anyone have any good advice for removing the collar for the fuel filter?
i did not like hammering the collar off. i jerry rigged a flat piece of steel along with a couple wrenches to spin the collar off. it wasnt easy. mine was on tight. i applied some vaseline on the threads to make install easier.
use your imagination to make some kind of tool to grab a pair of the little tabs, one on each side.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Members

So basically, dont do this yourself??
Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Blk5TT
So basically, dont do this yourself??
the only hard/tricky part is getting the ring off. i just didnt want to bang on my tank/ring with a hammer. so i came up with a makeshift spanner wrench.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

I received my new fuel filter and pump today. I will be working on this project as soon as my gas tank is 1/3 full.

The harness to the fuel pump is pretty "stiff". Just curious, will I be snaking it through an open tank of gas or a confined/tight space? I can't see how the harness can flex, turn or twist if the space is not big enough for it to "freely flow through" the fuel filter opening.

Any suggestions before I tackle this project is greatly appreciated! :-)

Originally Posted by Rizbel
First off, want to thank zamestytel, PCY, and AchtungE60 for their excellent DIYs on the subject. I got bored the other day and decided to do the fuel filter change.
Well, it's embarrassing to say it didn't end very well. I was in a hurry and used a tool that wasn't designed for the job. I damaged the new fuel filter assembly so I have to buy
another one, but wait...there's more... fuel pump quick-disconnect also got damaged as well, so a new fuel pump was ordered.

Attachment 131513

Warnings and cautions (Bentley manual p160-22)

· Work only when engine temp is below 40° C/104° F

· Have a fire extinguisher in the vicinity of the work area

· Disconnect battery negative terminal whenever working on fuel and electrical system

· Electric fuel pump starts each time a door is opened. Disable ignition system by pulling DME main relay located in the E-Box, right rear of engine compartment. Connect and disconnect wires with the Ignition OFF to prevent damage to DME and ECM.

· Wear eye protection, suitable hand protection (prolonged skin contact with fuel can cause illnesses and skin disorders

· Do not use work light with incandescent bulb (fire hazard)

· Unscrew fuel tank cap to release pressure in the tank. Loosen fuel lines slowly to allow residual fuel pressure to dissipate. Have plenty of rags/shop towels.

· Make sure work area is well ventilated.

· After finishing install, but before starting engine, be sure there is at least 1.5 gallons of fuel in tank; fuel pump is damaged if run without fuel.

Please read these excellent DIYs:

Pictures of my Fuel Filter after 62k miles Should you change the Fuel filter or not?

DIY - Fuel Filter/Sending Unit Swap

Unscrew the screw cap using an appropriate tool like the one picture below (a loan from a mechanic friend).

Attachment 131517

Attachment 131510

If doing the passenger side (right side) tank first, use a wire (I used a hanger) and place one end at the fuel pump harness that
connects to the fuel filter.

Attachment 131515

carefully maneuver wire and harness into the right tank then grab the wire from inside the left tank.

Attachment 131516

Lower the pump assembly into position (I re-oiled the rubber seal with engine oil)and ensure the assembly is properly seated before tightening the
screw cap.

Next steps should be for installing the fuel filter (see previous DIYs mentioned above).

** Disclaimer**
I hold no responsibility for any damage or injury occurred from following this DIY. Proceed at your own risk.

Be safe .
Old 12-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Okay, I finally got the nerve and replaced my fuel pump and filter today. It took me about 2 hours. With the special tool that Rizbel recommended, it wasn't too difficult after all.

At 1/3 of a gas tank, there was no gas pressure when I disconnected the gas line from the fuel filter; about 4 ounces of gas came at at most. With that said, the gas tank was pretty much empty "on the driver's side".

At 90,136 miles, the filter and "gas" look clear and clean!!! It must be because I have been using 92 Octane gas from Chevron since I bought the car with 5 miles. The only things that look worn out was the electrical wires and level sensor. Albeit, I had to re use it because I broke the yellow plastic that hold the new level sensor that came with the new filter assembly.

The level sensor was easy to disconnect from the filter assembly. All you have to do is push in the two black tabs and "push it" straight out from the "bottom". With that said, I wonder how much cheaper if you just buy the filter and reuse the old lever sensor unit. More importantly, if you are the original owner and have been using top tier gas, I really don't think it is necessary to change the filter at all if your car idles perfectly!!! Well, that's just my personal "opinion".

The fuel pump was a bit intimidating at first! Because it comes with the long, stiff and "ridiculous shape" harness, I almost gave up, left it alone and call it a day!!! After some serious praying and new composure, I managed and got it out. Man, it wasn't so hard after all. I think I popped my cherry when it came out.

Once the fuel pump is out, have no fear and pull everything straight out. Trust me, it's that simple! You can literally reach "your whole arm through either hole" (filter or fuel pump's) and maneuver the harness to get it in our out. Something to keep in mind, at 1/3 of a gas tank, please be aware that the driver's side is pretty much empty. However, the passenger side look like it's half full.

Please don't get cocky and "hasty" after you found out how easy it is to remove the fuel filter! With that said, be sure to get a rag/vacuum and clean the outside before you remove anything. You really don't want any dirts or anything falling into the gas tank. That would definitely defeat the purpose of changing the fuel filter or pump!!!

Again, thank you everyone for contributing your knowledge on this forum!!!!!!! Without your help, I don't think I could have done anything else other than washing the car with Palmolive. In fact, my first post was about how to change the oil after my 2006 BMW 530i was no longer under warranty.

Have a great day, guys!!!!

Originally Posted by E60I
I received my new fuel filter and pump today. I will be working on this project as soon as my gas tank is 1/3 full.

The harness to the fuel pump is pretty "stiff". Just curious, will I be snaking it through an open tank of gas or a confined/tight space? I can't see how the harness can flex, turn or twist if the space is not big enough for it to "freely flow through" the fuel filter opening.

Any suggestions before I tackle this project is greatly appreciated! :-)

Last edited by E60I; 12-14-2014 at 07:24 PM.