DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY: E60 Sport Automatic Retrofit Redux

Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 AM
  #21  
Senior Members
Thread Starter
 
NoQuarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,366
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54
Default

Originally Posted by bert69 View Post
Question : is it also necessary to edit the FDC -Dynamic Driving Controlfunction- by coding SAT in a LCI to have full function of the sportbutton ?

Doesn't sound familiar to me. I posted what I thought was all the needed info. I can check closer to see if something was done there. Where is FDC and what does it do? I may not even have it because mine is an xi.
NoQuarter is offline  
Old 10-12-2011, 05:43 AM
  #22  
Members
 
bert69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Germany Munich
Posts: 79
Default

FDC is the funktion of the sportbutton ... read here :

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/78/41


i only feel a heavier steering after coding but nothing else. the heavier steering was without coding also possible by pushing the button. so I thought that maybe necessary the coding fdc (sport button) to. for the features what is still missing.
bert69 is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 06:17 AM
  #23  
New Members
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: fl lauderdale
Posts: 21
Default

OK so I'm comfident enough to consider doing this by myself. I can see where the parts are listed online but I can't find where to purchase these parts online. My dealership has it buts its very costly. More info pls. 08 Alpine white 535i
murdock is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 05:37 PM
  #24  
Senior Members
Thread Starter
 
NoQuarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,366
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54
Default

Originally Posted by murdock View Post
OK so I'm comfident enough to consider doing this by myself. I can see where the parts are listed online but I can't find where to purchase these parts online. My dealership has it buts its very costly. More info pls. 08 Alpine white 535i
Try this dealer. You can order online and free shipping for over $200. The prices always seem to be better than others.
Ask for Fred the parts manager if you call - he is great to work with.

http://www.basneypartsonline.com/par...?siteid=216095
NoQuarter is offline  
Old 05-15-2012, 08:54 PM
  #25  
Members
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NEPA
Posts: 34
My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008
Default

One major aspect this retrofit is missing is reprogramming the actual transmission module. The sports auto and standard auto have different software.

Using WinKFP, I flashed my standard auto (in a 535xi) to the sports auto software (in the case of the 535i, it's 7601458 as of Ista/P v41.. may have changed in newer releases). I had to clear a few errors in the DSC, EGS ,and DME, but after that the car had no complaints.

The transmission still works, and it feels like it shifts faster, particularlly in S and M modes. It's also a lot more aggressive about downshifting in S mode. I did *not* change my VO, nor did I recode my KOMBI (partly because $2TB was never an available option for the xi models). However, my KOMBI is behaving differently now; when I'm in S mode, it displays the gear the car is in instead of just simply showing "DS" - I will probably try adding $2TB and see if my KOMBI accepts it.

I have not retrofitted the sports shifter (yet), so I have not been able to test the actual sport button. But even without it, it's a pretty nice upgrade. And it does seem to work properly on the xi despite it never being available officially on the RWD models.

EDIT: Well the car did accept the $2TB VO without complaint, and I was able to recode the KOMBI without issue. The FSW_PSW does show changes, but I cannot say I actually notice anything different with the recoded KOMBI.
terraphantm is offline  
Old 05-16-2012, 05:17 PM
  #26  
Senior Members
Thread Starter
 
NoQuarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,366
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54
Default

Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
One major aspect this retrofit is missing is reprogramming the actual transmission module. The sports auto and standard auto have different software.

Using WinKFP, I flashed my standard auto (in a 535xi) to the sports auto software (in the case of the 535i, it's 7601458 as of Ista/P v41.. may have changed in newer releases). I had to clear a few errors in the DSC, EGS ,and DME, but after that the car had no complaints.

The transmission still works, and it feels like it shifts faster, particularlly in S and M modes. It's also a lot more aggressive about downshifting in S mode. I did *not* change my VO, nor did I recode my KOMBI (partly because $2TB was never an available option for the xi models). However, my KOMBI is behaving differently now; when I'm in S mode, it displays the gear the car is in instead of just simply showing "DS" - I will probably try adding $2TB and see if my KOMBI accepts it.

I have not retrofitted the sports shifter (yet), so I have not been able to test the actual sport button. But even without it, it's a pretty nice upgrade. And it does seem to work properly on the xi despite it never being available officially on the RWD models.

EDIT: Well the car did accept the $2TB VO without complaint, and I was able to recode the KOMBI without issue. The FSW_PSW does show changes, but I cannot say I actually notice anything different with the recoded KOMBI.
Great update. Been planning on getting back to mine after reading some more about the software versions. Always new there was an improvement but I was never convinced it was working fully as intended.
NoQuarter is offline  
Old 05-27-2012, 12:12 PM
  #27  
Members
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13
Default

Any update?
I am very interested
Thanks
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
Great update. Been planning on getting back to mine after reading some more about the software versions. Always new there was an improvement but I was never convinced it was working fully as intended.
aal2000 is offline  
Old 05-27-2012, 05:38 PM
  #28  
Senior Members
Thread Starter
 
NoQuarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,366
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54
Default

Originally Posted by terraphantm View Post
One major aspect this retrofit is missing is reprogramming the actual transmission module. The sports auto and standard auto have different software.

Using WinKFP, I flashed my standard auto (in a 535xi) to the sports auto software (in the case of the 535i, it's 7601458 as of Ista/P v41.. may have changed in newer releases). I had to clear a few errors in the DSC, EGS ,and DME, but after that the car had no complaints.
The only GKE files I have that are similar are in the Data folder GKE215 and they skip 7601458 - I have A7601457 and A7601459. Your thoughts on this?
How did you go about clearing errors in the other modules?


Edit:
I just looked at what I was currently running and it is at version 7601460 (file date 3/11/2009 (Nov 3, 2009) ) which I don't have in my list of files so this must have already been there or my service center did it during another software update process. I do have 7601461 in my list so I will see if that is a suggested update.
NoQuarter is offline  
Old 05-27-2012, 05:55 PM
  #29  
Senior Members
 
AchtungE60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,680
My Ride: E60 530i
Default

Originally Posted by murdock View Post
OK so I'm comfident enough to consider doing this by myself. I can see where the parts are listed online but I can't find where to purchase these parts online. My dealership has it buts its very costly. More info pls. 08 Alpine white 535i
If you need programming send me a PM and we can discuss.

Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
The only GKE files I have that are similar are in the Data folder GKE215 and they skip 7601458 - I have A7601457 and A7601459. Your thoughts on this?
How did you go about clearing errors in the other modules?
Are you sure you got all the files? Complete files will be around 7gb of data for E60
AchtungE60 is offline  
Old 05-27-2012, 07:40 PM
  #30  
Senior Members
Thread Starter
 
NoQuarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 1,366
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54
Default

Originally Posted by AchtungE60 View Post
If you need programming send me a PM and we can discuss.



Are you sure you got all the files? Complete files will be around 7gb of data for E60
Not sure if you noticed my edited post - turns out I am running 7601460 already. Anyway to know is this just a newer version of the 7601458 SAT?
NoQuarter is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: E60 Sport Automatic Retrofit Redux


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.