DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY: Cleaning VANOS Solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

Hey,

So.. no luck with the oil change. My codes have also come back and trigger a Check Engine light every so often.

I'm going to give them another cleaning (this time leaving them in fuel for longer). I'll do that once it gets not-freaking-cold outside. Right now I can't be outside for more than 10 mins without gloves and have my fingers not feel like they're about to fall off.

If all else fails, I'm going to see about acquiring a new set of solenoides. They're unfortunately not that cheap. I might see if my crappy aftermarket warranty can cover them though.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricapar
Hey,

So.. no luck with the oil change. My codes have also come back and trigger a Check Engine light every so often.

I'm going to give them another cleaning (this time leaving them in fuel for longer). I'll do that once it gets not-freaking-cold outside. Right now I can't be outside for more than 10 mins without gloves and have my fingers not feel like they're about to fall off.

If all else fails, I'm going to see about acquiring a new set of solenoides. They're unfortunately not that cheap. I might see if my crappy aftermarket warranty can cover them though.
Thanks for the update. I think I'll just go ahead and replace them. I recall hearing a clicking noise about a month ago so a cleaning probably won't fix it either. Found them for $93/each at DDM Tuning (http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/11...LVE-SOLV111034). Do you think the gaskets can be saved from the old ones? If not, DDM has a set of those as well. With shipping it's about $215.

Thanks for the directions and pictures.

Brian
Old 01-05-2012, 03:50 AM
Members

Just found this thread (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=vanos). Might be helpful. Claims that compressed air to clean them might do the trick. I know you mentioned that but didn't see if you actually did that or not.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 525xi

Originally Posted by blipszyc
Just found this thread (http://www.e90post.c...highlight=vanos). Might be helpful. Claims that compressed air to clean them might do the trick. I know you mentioned that but didn't see if you actually did that or not.
Heh, that was actually the post that let me to writing this DIY.

Good point though - I didn't try compressed air.. mostly because I didn't have one of those cans on me at the time. It'll be on my to-do list for VANOS solenoid cleaning round #2.

Someone on one of the e90 forums (I forget which one) also mentioned that he was able to "test" the solenoids by hooking up a 12v DC source to them. When given power, a little rod should stick out the end a a certain distance. If I recall correctly, when he did the same test on a new solenoid, he found out the old one was actually only coming out half the distance it was supposed to.

As for the gaskets - when I took the solenoids out, I didn't notice anything that'd prevent them from being re-used. They felt like hard plastic rings, and should be re-useable without any issues.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Members

So I performed the "cleaning" last week but the SES light came back on just yesterday. I went back to get the codes pulled and the same P0012 came up, but this time instead of the P1554, I got a P1553 instead. I did swap solenoids so I don't know if that's why I get a 1553 this time, but what concerns me is the P0012 is the same. I was hoping that I'd get a different code since I swapped, but now I'm concerned that even if I replace both that it won't fix the problem.

Any ideas?
Old 01-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Xeronix
I'm literally about to go out to my local auto store and see if they have an OBD2 to USB cable so I can see what kind of errors the car is throwing.
Ha! I hope you were joking about this cable thing... no one is going to have this in store. If you want a scanner, best thing to do is get a V-Checker and plug it in and put it on Professional Mode then select BMW.

Originally Posted by blipszyc
So I performed the "cleaning" last week but the SES light came back on just yesterday. I went back to get the codes pulled and the same P0012 came up, but this time instead of the P1554, I got a P1553 instead. I did swap solenoids so I don't know if that's why I get a 1553 this time, but what concerns me is the P0012 is the same. I was hoping that I'd get a different code since I swapped, but now I'm concerned that even if I replace both that it won't fix the problem.

Any ideas?
Forget these P codes as they're just generic codes not specific to the vehicle. A BMW using vanos is not like ANY other vehicle. Do you think all vehicles use VANOS? You will need to find out exactly which part is failing and can only do this with a small investment in digital BMW tools.
Just a quick question did you clear all the fault codes and then these new ones appeared? You sure it's not a camshaft position sensor or just bad gas? Give some stats.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Just a quick question did you clear all the fault codes and then these new ones appeared? You sure it's not a camshaft position sensor or just bad gas? Give some stats.
So about 3 months ago I first got the SES light about a day after filling the tank. (Shell 94 - not my typical gas, but I was low and far away from home.) My first inclination was to tighten the gas cap, and voila, the SES shut off about 2 days later. From that point on the SES would turn on for a few days and then off for a few days. I figured it might have been some bad gas so I got some Gumout Fuel/Engine cleaner and filled up with BP 93 (my typical gas). SES went off a day later and stayed off. I chalked it up to bad gas.

HOWEVER, about a month ago the SES light came back and stayed on despite another fillup with BP 93. This time I decided to get the codes pulled. P0012 and P1554 were pulled and I found myself here. (and other threads) Pulled the solenoids, cleaned them and swapped them. SES was off for about a week. Light was on for 1 day and then off again. Had the codes pulled again and this time P0012 and P1553. Now, I didn't ask the tech to clear the codes, nor did I see if he did so one of those might be a past code from before. (Although they didn't list the P1554 as before)

Seeing that the P0012 was the same but P1553 was different, I'm leaning toward a sensor being out more than anything. The light hasn't been on for a few days now. I'm confused though as to which sensor it would be as P1553 seems for 'A' (intake?) and P1554 for 'B' (exhaust?). Right?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Senior Members

Bro you need to re-initialize the solenoids on the car and you can only do this with BMW tools. INPA would do or you can use Progman. INPA is very quick, would take like 15 seconds. Have your guy at least clear the codes. That will not re-initialize the solendoids but you can see which is an old code and what is new.

P15 is the exhaust, 12 is the intake.

I'm telling you I bet it's the camshaft position sensor and this is messing up your timing. Are you getting rough idle or car is bogging down or sometimes randomly shut off?
You can pay dealer to do it or you can do it yourself. As of right now it's not something big unless your car is shutting off randomly....example I had a 325CI and the car would run fine and then all of a sudden at a red light or going into drive from reverse it would die. I had enough when I was trying to get out of my subdivision on a busy road and I was crossing to the median and the car died...if it weren't for my batman like reflexes I may not be here bro. So get yourself some tools and you'll know exactly what it is and get the part from the dealer and then replace it in 20 min. done deal.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 PM
Senior Members

exhaust camshaft position sensor A/B... give me last 7 of your vin

is that yours?
http://realoem.com/b...736&hg=11&fg=15
03 Sensor, camshaft 213627525014 $95.3
04 O-ring17X3 212141748398 $1.20
Old 01-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Members

It's an E60 530xi - Vin #7CU27308.

I wouldn't really say the car is rough and it definitely doesn't shut off. Sometimes it feels like its bogged down, but I also just moved to GA where there are more hills than I'm used to so I can't tell if its the car or the hills. The SES is off right now and has been off since Sat. and it seems to be driving fine.

If I replace the sensor, do I still need to get the solenoids re-initialized?

Quick Reply: DIY: Cleaning VANOS Solenoids