DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Diesel Fuel Additives

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Are there any benefits to using diesel fuels additives/cleaners like this:
http://www.forteuk.co.uk/Diesel_fuel.htm

They seem to offer a miracle in a can, and hence I'm very sceptical!

Cheers,

Andy
Old 03-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Members

Anyone?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:41 AM
rjc
Members

My Ride: Oct 2007: 525d SE Auto, Space Grey, Black Leather, Visibility Pack, Luxury Pack, Media Pack, Rear Air Bags, Space Saver Spare, Comfort Access, Auto Dim mirror + Ext folding, Through Load System, All round heated seats, Extended interior light pack, DAB, Logic 7, USB Interface and HUD.

The only one I would use is the Forte one. When I had a Volvo, a bottle would go in during the service as part of the package. I also had it once when I took the car in running a little rough, they put a bottle of this stuff in and told me to fill up and come back it if didn't fix it. The problem went away after a couple of hundred miles, they suspected a clogged injector.

In the Volvo, it seemed to help reduce smoke (S60 D5) and make things a little smoother. However, I started to use BP Ultimate Diesel in 2005 I got the same results all the time and just over 50mpg too. I have the MOT emissions readings for the Volvo, since I started to use BP Ultimate they dropped alot and stayed low.

2004, 63000 miles, smoke test 2.76 m[sup]-1[/sup]
2005, 81000 miles, smote test 1.61 m[sup]-1[/sup]
2006, 99000 miles, smoke test 1.55 m[sup]-1[/sup]
2007, 118000 miles, smoke test 1.87 m[sup]-1[/sup]

I don't know how the newer generation BMW engines are to the original Volvo D5 unit, but I have kept up the BP Ultimate use and get around 40mpg and rising on my 525d SE Auto.

Its a shame you can't get this normal shops, although loads available via eBay.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rjc' post='539121' date='Mar 3 2008, 01:41 PM
The only one I would use is the Forte one. When I had a Volvo, a bottle would go in during the service as part of the package. I also had it once when I took the car in running a little rough, they put a bottle of this stuff in and told me to fill up and come back it if didn't fix it. The problem went away after a couple of hundred miles, they suspected a clogged injector.

In the Volvo, it seemed to help reduce smoke (S60 D5) and make things a little smoother. However, I started to use BP Ultimate Diesel in 2005 I got the same results all the time and just over 50mpg too. I have the MOT emissions readings for the Volvo, since I started to use BP Ultimate they dropped alot and stayed low.

2004, 63000 miles, smoke test 2.76 m[sup]-1[/sup]
2005, 81000 miles, smote test 1.61 m[sup]-1[/sup]
2006, 99000 miles, smoke test 1.55 m[sup]-1[/sup]
2007, 118000 miles, smoke test 1.87 m[sup]-1[/sup]

I don't know how the newer generation BMW engines are to the original Volvo D5 unit, but I have kept up the BP Ultimate use and get around 40mpg and rising on my 525d SE Auto.

Its a shame you can't get this normal shops, although loads available via eBay.
Thanks for the reply Ric, I'll try the BP Ultimate Diesel
Old 03-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Andy,

I am very sceptical about any sort of additive, be it fuel or oil.

I am also paranoid about my diesel pump, and the lack of lubrication of modern diesel fuels.

Now, firstly, be VERY VERY choosy about which additive to use. If you have particulate filters on your car, then you MUST repeat MUST use an additive that is compatible with Euro IV type engines, otherwise the additive that will be lubricating your diesel pump will be clogging your filters!!

If you don't know if you've got particulate filters or not; There will be a Service Indicator in your iDrive if you have.

I have used Millers Diesel Power Sport Four (the non-particulate filter Millers is just Diesel Power) in my 530d. I am currently running without additive to see if it makes any difference to fuel consumption - although I use the additive for lubrication rather than economy. I would like to put another thousand miles on before I make any definite claims, but indications are that with the additive I am getting another 2 or 3 miles to the gallon.

Mike
Old 03-09-2008, 06:17 AM
rjc
Members

My Ride: Oct 2007: 525d SE Auto, Space Grey, Black Leather, Visibility Pack, Luxury Pack, Media Pack, Rear Air Bags, Space Saver Spare, Comfort Access, Auto Dim mirror + Ext folding, Through Load System, All round heated seats, Extended interior light pack, DAB, Logic 7, USB Interface and HUD.

If you don't know if you've got particulate filters or not; There will be a Service Indicator in your iDrive if you have.
I know I have DPF, as it regenereates from time to time. I do not have anything in IDrive for it though, being part of the exhaust are they not fit for life?

All I have is Oil, brakes and the like - not even an ETA for microfilters. Am I missing a bit of IDrive here, or is it different on an LCI?
Old 03-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Contributors

Back in the '80's when I drove my BMW 524TD I used a product made by Power Service mostly in the winter time to help avoid jelling of fuel. I was mostly sceptical of the quality of diesel fuel when I had to fill up at stations that didn't pump a lot of diesel or I was unsure their filter and water separators were maintained. So, an ounce of prevention was worth it. (literally an ounce or two to each tank!)

The truckers seem to use it - the "old timers" would say to put a gallon of kerosene in when filling up in the winter. That seemed like too much trouble so I went with the additive. And no drive-ability or start-up problems either.

http://www.fueladditiveonline.com/Fuel%20A...ceAdditives.php

Warm weather - no additives - and no problems either.

I drove that car for more than 10 years and 300K miles with no fuel related problems. Never had to replace an injector or pump. Changed 2-3 glow plugs.

Today's diesels are far more advanced - I can't wait to get my mitts on one when they are available to us in the United States.
Old 03-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by rjc' post='541821' date='Mar 9 2008, 02:17 PM

I know I have DPF, as it regenereates from time to time. I do not have anything in IDrive for it though, being part of the exhaust are they not fit for life?

All I have is Oil, brakes and the like - not even an ETA for microfilters. Am I missing a bit of IDrive here, or is it different on an LCI?
Yes, probably a bit of cost-cutting on the LCi models. I've got service indicators for various brakes, microfilter, coolant, MOT, and of course the particle filter.
These are due to be replaced at between 100,000 and 150,000 miles depending on how the car is driven. From a recent thread on here by a member with a 535d, they aren't cheap to change!!!

I would generalise that cars with DPF's have straight out exhausts, rather than downward pointing ones, but I don't know if that applies to the 520d's - I know they must be Euro IV, and the new ones have straight out pipes, but I don't know if they have DPF's. Your 525, being an LCi will have the 3 litre engine, rather than the earlier 2.5 - not knowing much about these engines, I don't even know if DPF's were an option on these. Someone please educate me!

Mike