DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

detachable tow bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

i recently purchased a late 2005 525d se from my local dealer.

i have been looking at tow bars and opted for a Westfalia detachable (303294) as it did not require any cutting and is invisible when removed. it does, however require a replacement trim to sit behind the spare wheel recess. My local dealer sourced this for me for around ?17.00

i also purchased the BMW retrofit electrics kit which came with a workshop manual that, to be honest isnt that helpful as it puts the fear of god into you before you start.
most of the wires are into a multiblock, excellent. there are a few trailing wires to deal with and this is where i run into problems. one of the wires is an earth. the other three i have no clue where they go. Does the car have to be reprogrammed? is there any precautions to take?

could do with any info you have to offer
Old 07-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Wiring:

The main precaution is, as always, disconnect the battery before you start anything. you'll lose the time on the clock but little else (it will remember your radio settings) - unless you have active steering, whereas it will need a reset and will throw up an error message. (Reset can be done yourself, the error message will be removed when you take it for a service).

I did the fancy wiring on mine, and it is very good - I won't go back to the "7-way relay" again - even though it does take a little longer.

Having a look through the destructions for my wiring (made by RDM Automotive), there are only 3 wires that don't have connectors.
The twisted pair for the CAN Bus, and another long piece that I think is specific to the Touring.
The other wires are a multiplug to the electrickery box, an earth, a Red/Yellow to a multiplug on the fuse board, and a Blue/Yellow for a reverse light/beeper.
And of course the cable to the socket for the towbar.

You don't need any reprogramming - it works straight out of the box - detecting when you have a trailer on the back (or even a lighting board!), and monitoring the trailer bulbs, as well as switching off the rear PDC.

As a warning, if you have a caravan with doubel high level brake lights, this can cause a problem with the bulb failure sensors - just replace the high level light bulbs with LED ones, and apart from a very slight flicker of the LED's that you can't see until it's very dark, all will be well.

Mike
Old 07-21-2009, 02:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='947864' date='Jul 20 2009, 10:13 PM
Wiring:

The main precaution is, as always, disconnect the battery before you start anything. you'll lose the time on the clock but little else (it will remember your radio settings) - unless you have active steering, whereas it will need a reset and will throw up an error message. (Reset can be done yourself, the error message will be removed when you take it for a service).

I did the fancy wiring on mine, and it is very good - I won't go back to the "7-way relay" again - even though it does take a little longer.

Having a look through the destructions for my wiring (made by RDM Automotive), there are only 3 wires that don't have connectors.
The twisted pair for the CAN Bus, and another long piece that I think is specific to the Touring.
The other wires are a multiplug to the electrickery box, an earth, a Red/Yellow to a multiplug on the fuse board, and a Blue/Yellow for a reverse light/beeper.

You don't need any reprogramming - it works straight out of the box - detecting when you have a trailer on the back (or even a lighting board!), and monitoring the trailer bulbs, as well as switching off the rear PDC.

As a warning, if you have a caravan with doubel high level brake lights, this can cause a problem with the bulb failure sensors - just replace the high level light bulbs with LED ones, and apart from a very slight flicker of the LED's that you can't see until it's very dark, all will be well.

Mike
Old 07-21-2009, 02:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='947864' date='Jul 20 2009, 10:13 PM
Wiring:

Mike
Old 07-21-2009, 02:37 AM
Members

Thanks for the swift response,

being quite new to BMW, whats the CAN bus?

so i should be able to plug the multiplug in, earth the wiring and it should work?