DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Dension install problem and solution - no CDC

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 12:21 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I have just installed GW-500 in my E50 and it's working ;-)

M-ASK is Business-navigation with the small 6.5" screen.

If you have the large i-drive screen and professional navigation it's a CcC (see this description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDrive).

Regarding the coding you'll need to have the ipod option enabled.

If you wan't to do it your self you have two options:

1) Use the Dension Gateway Enabler Tool (GEN tool). This worked in my E60 Sedan from 9/2003. You can by this seperate or together with the GW-500 (the kit has part no GW51MBE).

2) You'll need "BMW INPA K+DCAN USB" cable and use the NCS, NCSExpert, INPA tools. This looks pretty advanced but if you follow the instructions it should ne possible (see info and starter guide at http://bmwcoding.com/).

After installing the GW-500 and enabling the ipod option with the GEN tool I have added the BTA-1500 bluetooth handsfree set. It's working, but I don't have the menu's in the "Communication" menu.

I don't know if the GEN tool can enable the hands free menu, but I will try to disable and re-enable with the GEN tool to see if it works. If not I will have to look into NCSExpert

Best regards

/T
Old 09-27-2011, 12:50 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by tom_il
....Looking around i found nowhere how the put those cables in myself. But i did found how to install the I-pot retrofit. If i am not mistakes, if i would have this cable i could connect the dension to it.
Or can i also use the MOST diagnostic fiber ?

Not sure how to proceed here there is loads of info around to connect the Dension with the CD changer prep or CD changer itself installed but not when the cable isn't there.
Would like to have more info i start this project.
Be very carefull not to disconnect and wrong fibers (don't touch the yellow ones). This can lead to errors in you I-drive.

I could not find the cable in the Glove compartment, so I connected the GW to the back of the headunit (CD-drive)

Rgds

/T
Old 09-29-2011, 10:05 PM
New Members

Is the video through iphone function working on your screen, too?
Old 10-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by drinksjdalot
Hi Camshaft

First of all, yes my car is a right hand drive so everything will be the other way round !

If you find the fibre optic connector... un-clip the plug from its housing which is connected to the glovebox... once done switch on the ignition and wait 10 seconds, you should be able to see a red light coming from one of the cables - its as clear as a gravy stain on a new white shirt - you can't miss it !!!
If you do have a red light then we're one step closer

Question for you... apart from the CD changer, does your car have BMW sat nav or BMW bluetooth or BMW dvd ???

As for M-ASK, well, M-ASK stands for MMI Audio System controller and is manufactured by Becker (your cd player). This is a limited version of the iDrive computer with a small 6.6" display and is only found on 5, 6 and 7-series, and the X5 or X6, without the navigation option.

In addition it can optionally be ordered in Europe on the 1-series and 3-series as "Business navigation", which has basic navigation abilities. Early versions of the Business navigation could only display directional arrows, but the latest version can also display 2D maps. iDrive Business Navigation uses a different map DVD than iDrive Professional Navigation. In addition because only one optical drive is available you cannot use both navigation and listen to a CD simultaneously.

When iDrive Professional is ordered the M-ASK system is replaced by either the CCC or CIC in addition to a larger display.

iDrive Business is available on the following cars;

iDrive Business Navigation (optional)
1-Series E81/E82/E87/E88
3-Series E90/E91/E92/E93
iDrive Business (default when navigation is not ordered)
5-Series E60/E61
6-Series E63/E64
7-Series E65/E66/E67/E68
7-Series F01/F02
X5 E70
X6 E71

Hope this helps

Allan

To Allan

Just to say a big thank you for your help and advice. A proper Gentleman who just gave up his Monday night to talk me through all, in my set uo for the GM500 i very much appreciate the fact you took the call and time, and fingers crossed when i get the car coded all will work.

A less frustrated Dubliner .)

Regards

Declan
Old 11-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tdnk
Be very carefull not to disconnect and wrong fibers (don't touch the yellow ones). This can lead to errors in you I-drive.

I could not find the cable in the Glove compartment, so I connected the GW to the back of the headunit (CD-drive)

Rgds

/T
tdnk: was wondering if you ever got the BTA1500 and the Communication menu to work by just using the GENtool or did you have to code the car for that separately?
Thinking of buying it too but need to be sure it works with the enabling of the BTA1500, I know its ok for just the Dension but would need both to work.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:01 AM
New Members

Hi all!

I own an e92 and non-iDrive professional radio, and have a dension gateway 500. Ive been trying to get to the bottom of getting it fitted and have entually come across this forum and thread!

My problem is finding someone with the coding abilities to enable the cdc option that the dension needs - BMW wont as its not their cd changer, and I cant find any autologic equipped garages. But I spotted some adverts and the occassional post mentioning a dension GEN tool - But I cant find onr for sale separately ANYWHERE Does anyone here have one for sale or have a link for were I could buy one?

Thanks for any help you can give!

NP
Old 12-28-2011, 04:25 AM
Members

My Ride: F10, pro nav, auto,

Hi Nigelo

May I firstly suggest that you contact Autologic themselves, on 01865 870050 (UK number) or email them at info@autologic.com, and ask for your nearest installers address - that's what I did.

If that doesn't work, try ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk or phone them on 0845 430 3355. I am absolutely certain they can supply a GEN tool at around £45 plus P&P.

Have a look at their website at http://www.ipodcarkitdirect.co.uk/De...ST_fiber_optic and select the "BMW Activation Tool" option... you should see it there.

However, be aware that I am not sure if this will work with your E92, I have only dealt with E60s so far. Phone Autologic and Ipod Car Kit Direct and ask.... best thing to do in my humble opinion.

This will be my last post for a while as I'm going abroad today for a couple of months for work... BEST OF LUCK.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Members

I'm confused!

I have CCC professional 8,8" screen without CDC, bluetooth, SAT, TV - only NAV.
I want Dension gateway, BTA (hopefully this will appear in the comm. Tab?) and AVR installed.

As far as i can remember i am able to play mp3 through both cd and dvd (only dvd when the nav disc is ejected from the drive off course).

My question is then:
- do I have to install a CDC temporarely, get the car coded with ipod retrofit or CDC option, and then install the Dension?
OR
- do I install the dension, and get the car coded with ipod retrofit or CDC option?

The reason i'm asking is that i have to know exactly what to tell the dealer to program, as i cant find any dealer in Denmark that knows anything about this system, if any Danes done this mod i would be glad to hear which dealer they've used...

Hopefully i'm not asking too many stupid questions, i've really tried to do my homework about this mod, but haven't found a concrete answer YET ;-)

/Dennis
Old 01-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Do the 2nd one ... install Dension (The module must be installed or it'll not find it during coding) then code it as iPod retrofit since Dension will announce itself as iPod module ... it'll not work if using CDC 'cuz it'll not find the changer during coding.

Originally Posted by tiger19
I'm confused!

I have CCC professional 8,8" screen without CDC, bluetooth, SAT, TV - only NAV.
I want Dension gateway, BTA (hopefully this will appear in the comm. Tab?) and AVR installed.

As far as i can remember i am able to play mp3 through both cd and dvd (only dvd when the nav disc is ejected from the drive off course).

My question is then:
- do I have to install a CDC temporarely, get the car coded with ipod retrofit or CDC option, and then install the Dension?
OR
- do I install the dension, and get the car coded with ipod retrofit or CDC option?

The reason i'm asking is that i have to know exactly what to tell the dealer to program, as i cant find any dealer in Denmark that knows anything about this system, if any Danes done this mod i would be glad to hear which dealer they've used...

Hopefully i'm not asking too many stupid questions, i've really tried to do my homework about this mod, but haven't found a concrete answer YET ;-)

/Dennis
Old 01-04-2012, 02:16 AM
Members

Thanks alot, i think i will try the gateway version with "selfcoding" OBD plug, hopefully it will work...

Quick Reply: Dension install problem and solution - no CDC