DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Control Arm Torque specs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm looking to change both left and right lower control arms in the near future, and after reading a few DIYs on it I think I can do it.... but here's what I need to know:

1) What are the torque specs for each side?
2) Can I reuse the same nuts/bolts as the old, or should I get new ones?
3) Does the car need to be on the ground to fully tighten the arms? If so, how the hell can I do that on a car with sport package? lol

Thanks
Old 06-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

What parts are you referring to? Many people incorrectly use the wrong names for parts. This is probably because BMW continually changes the names of their parts with each chassis. So I assume you're talking about the Tension Strut (aka control arm)? in my DIY ? lol

https://5series.net/forums/topic/107...rut-wishbones/

1) I never use torque wrench, I know the torque specs are pretty tight and probably as tight as you can go anyway before the nut locks up.
2) Yes you can reuse the same nuts bolts as long as they are not damaged.
3) It's doesn't need to be. I'll explain. If you understand the mechanics of the tension strut it moves anyway. so if you tighten and move the suspension up/down you will see that the arm moves too, so it really doesn't matter. But if you want to do that, you can tighten a bit then drive it up ramps or while on a jackstand place a jack with wood underneath the tire and press it up.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
What parts are you referring to? Many people incorrectly use the wrong names for parts. This is probably because BMW continually changes the names of their parts with each chassis. So I assume you're talking about the Tension Strut (aka control arm)? in my DIY ? lol

https://5series.net/forums/topic/107...rut-wishbones/

1) I never use torque wrench, I know the torque specs are pretty tight and probably as tight as you can go anyway before the nut locks up.
2) Yes you can reuse the same nuts bolts as long as they are not damaged.
3) It's doesn't need to be. I'll explain. If you understand the mechanics of the tension strut it moves anyway. so if you tighten and move the suspension up/down you will see that the arm moves too, so it really doesn't matter. But if you want to do that, you can tighten a bit then drive it up ramps or while on a jackstand place a jack with wood underneath the tire and press it up.
This is exactly what I needed to know.. I'm ordering the wishbone/thrust/control arms today and plan to knock it out this weekend..

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Members

Another question.. which brand should I get? I was considering Febi, but there are a lot of mixed reviews online..
Old 06-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Brand is your choice. Try http://www.rockauto.com
Dorman are usually cheap and I haven't had any problems with them on other cars in the past but it's up to you.