DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Comfrot Seat Headrest Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Melbourne Red X6M

The part numbers will differ because of the color of your interior. Mine was 52107114426 for the auburn leather. Take a look at this link ----> Real OEM headrest part numbers Look up your color under comfortseat headrest. As for the bracket, you will need to order part number 52108169457 for the comfort seat headrest. Yes you have to because the poles on the comfort seat headrest are wider in diameter and won't fit into the standard sport seat brackets. And yes you have to cut them. Once they are locked into the bracket underneath the leather, it is impossible to remove without cutting it. Let me know if you have any more questions. Garry at Newport BMW helped me order the parts for great prices.

David
Old 04-02-2006, 03:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Talking

Nice!

Anything is possible, i guess it depends on one's time and money...

Not to burst any bubbles but i think $1090 for the comfort seats would be well worth it in advance. (06 and under E60's sans ZSP)
Old 04-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Very nice job!!
Old 04-06-2006, 07:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i (SE), Auto-Dim Int + Folding Ext. Mirrors, Automatic Gearbox, Bluetooth Telephone Preparation, BMW 6 Disc CD Changer, Heated Front Seats, HiFi Speaker System, Leather interior, Navigation System - Business, Sports Suspension, Star Spoke 123 8Jx18" + Run Flat Tyres. M-Tech Kit.

Great guide! , very interested in this one
Old 04-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

nice. and we all thought it can't be done....

how about this mod to a standart leather seat???? I do not have those one piece strip brackets as on your sport seat.... I have only two circle plastic rings for each headrest knob????
Old 04-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i

Fantastic write-up! One thing I really dislike about my car is the headrest. I don't know if I want to spend $450 for it.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

Really outstanding job documenting the process. Beautiful work also. Thank you for providing the cost. That is getting very steep for a couple of neck cushions but I do wish they were included in the sport seats.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Premium/Sport Packages. Heated Seats, Sat Radio, Mystic Blue Metallic and Dakota Gray Leather interior. Active steering and headlights, M5 166 wheels

Originally Posted by bleudyno' post='263362' date='Apr 1 2006, 12:46 PM

I was always unsatisfied with the sport seat headrests. They didn't tilt forward enough to allow me to rest my head comfortably while driving. So I special ordered a set of auburn comfort seat headrests a while back. They finally came in about 2 and a half weeks after I ordered them along with the replacement brackets. If anyone is interested, you will need two comfort seat headrests and two comfort seat headrest brackets (to accomodate the wider diameter of the comfort headrest legs) Check out this link for the list of part numbers for the comfort headrest with their respective colors. Real OEM. In addition, the part number for the bracket is 52108169457 (BLACK). You will need two of these, one for each seat. And now for the DIY. Thee instructions being given will refer to the picture directly underneath the instructions. For this project you will need a dremel tool with a cutting/drilling attachment, your hands and a lot of muscle.

Start by first raising the the headrest all the way up. Pull firmly on the headrest upwards to unclip it from the raising mechanism. Set aside. Next to remove the back of the seat, it is easier to unclip one side at a time. First push in firmly on the side of the backrest and pull outward. It's a little tricky but you need a lot of force to push in the side. A little wiggling might help too.

Heres a pic of the backrest unclipped

Next here is a closeup of the backrest clips. Once you have the upper clips released, pull the entire backrest upwards to remove it totally.

Okay heres the part which requires the dremel. The brackets are almost impossible to remove without cutting. The clip underneath the leather that the bracket attaches too is very tight. So i took a dremel and cut out a line from the bracket. Be careful not to cut the leather and the clip under the leather.

Now the bracket can be removed by pushing the area that you cut together and pulling up. This will also take a bit of pulling and wiggling. It helps if you slide your hand underneath and grab hold of the clip below the leather so you won't rip the leather.
Do the headrest tilt forward and backward or simple just remain in place? I wonder if
I know there is an electronic component too. There is a control on the side of the seat that controls the headrest forward and back motion. Is this included in the retrofit?

dtv
Old 03-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by BlueMajik' post='552638' date='Mar 29 2008, 01:15 AM
Do the headrest tilt forward and backward or simple just remain in place? I wonder if
I know there is an electronic component too. There is a control on the side of the seat that controls the headrest forward and back motion. Is this included in the retrofit?

dtv
Are you referring to the new version of the headrest? This thread is two years old -- at that time, the comfort seat headrest was not adjustable in the way you describe...
Old 03-31-2008, 03:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Nav, Xenon and PDC

Has anyone else tried doing this? I'm interested in taking a crack at it, but I can't tell from the realoem.com website which is the correct headrest to order...I'm guessing the headrests I need are #52107117165 and the brackets are #52107044428 (beige/beige).

Quick Reply: Comfrot Seat Headrest Retrofit