DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Comfort seat installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 02:33 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On order: 2007 550i, silver gray, black leather, anth. maple trim, active cruise, heated steering wheel, sport, night vision, vent seats, heat rears, active steering, rear air bags, folding seats, comfort access, navigation , HUD, black head liner, steptronic, premium sound, sirius and HD radio.

I can PM you the seat prints. It will be impossible to cut and weld. The seat control module is mounted to a carriage plate under the seat. This plate glides just millimeters over the floor. If you want to see the rail and mount assembly faster, go to www. realoem.com. Enter the last seven of your vin and then search under the group "seats" click on comfort seats and you can search through the different parts. I can tell you first hand by having them in my garage that it is not possible, but take a look and maybe you can find a way.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

ledbettm, i'm curious how far you are allready with the project....
Old 10-20-2005, 03:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On order: 2007 550i, silver gray, black leather, anth. maple trim, active cruise, heated steering wheel, sport, night vision, vent seats, heat rears, active steering, rear air bags, folding seats, comfort access, navigation , HUD, black head liner, steptronic, premium sound, sirius and HD radio.

I did a complete tear down on the seats to ensure that all of the components are in working order. I checked the active head restraint gas cartridges, seat belts and all the drive motors. I ordered a few new parts for the ones that I was not completely comfortable with and they came in today. I am going to take a lot of pictures this weekend of the seats before I put them back together. This weekend they will go in the car. I will take pictures from the time I start the removal of the current seats until I complete and function test the new ones. I am going to try to post the complete DIY next week. I will need some help from the board 'seniors' on how to post such a large DIY.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

ledbettm, are you getting rid of your car or keeping it? I read in another thread you posted that you were getting rid of the car...

Also, are you still in the 'burgh during the week or are you now in Indiana full-time?

Good luck with the seat project...it should be fun!
Old 10-21-2005, 04:34 AM
Contributors

I will know for sure this week. BMW is looking into forgiving the lease and replacing the car. I should know something today. Obviously this will delay the project. The service techs and the GM of the dealership have been great and really agree that the car has some underlying issue that they can not resolve. Now it is just up to the BMW brass to agree and give me a new 5. I have not lost faith in the 5 as a whole but I have lost faith in this unit. I think I just drew the short straw. I am not about to go tinkering with the car until I know for sure what will happen to it. That is all they need....me adding more problems than I already have.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Pardon me if you've already posted it but what problems are you having? I didn't know you were going through the process of trying to get a replacement.

Also, are you working with a Pittsburgh dealer during this process or one in Indiana? If Pgh, which one?
Old 11-05-2005, 05:15 AM
Contributors

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!! I am done. Everything works just fine and man what a difference these seats make. They make long drives much more comfortable than my sport seats did.

I can now answer any question anyone would ever want to know about comfort seats. They are actually quite an engineering feat underneath the covers. I will try to work on getting the pics posted very soon.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Contributors

Waiting for pics! Would like to see underside of seats out of car and space on floor without seat and seats outside car side by side. These are views one can never see in the manuals and probably never see in a shop.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by sg530' post='194123' date='Nov 6 2005, 12:51 AM
Waiting for pics! Would like to see underside of seats out of car and space on floor without seat and seats outside car side by side. These are views one can never see in the manuals and probably never see in a shop.
I agree.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by ledbettm' post='193843' date='Nov 5 2005, 09:15 AM
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!! I am done. Everything works just fine and man what a difference these seats make. They make long drives much more comfortable than my sport seats did.

I can now answer any question anyone would ever want to know about comfort seats. They are actually quite an engineering feat underneath the covers. I will try to work on getting the pics posted very soon.
Could you please post the procedure (Step by step) and pictures to help other owner ?

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Comfort seat installation