DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Cleaning the intake manifold in a diesel engine

Old 05-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Hey seppoi! Nice to meet another Finnish member again!

I guess it was a time for you to clean the manifold + EGR with those kilometers
But who knows, maybe you could have done another 230000kms without doing anything

And FMINUS... I'm learning to do my own detailing work right now, and I envy YOU in that business !!!
So who's lost now
Old 05-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it give error code if you just unplug the vacuum hose connecting to the flap-valve? They would remain in open position?
Old 05-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Frankiez' post='583221' date='May 18 2008, 09:06 PM
Does it give error code if you just unplug the vacuum hose connecting to the flap-valve? They would remain in open position?
They would stay open yes, but don't know about the error code.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by seppoi' post='565194' date='Apr 21 2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks Anzafin! I repeated just the procedure for my E39 530d driven 230000 km. The procedure was very similar. My EGR valve was stuck to closed position and based on some material on the net I decided to keep it that way to avoid doing this maintenance again The flaps in intake manifold were extremely contaminated with about 2 mm extra stuff on both sides.

[attachment=62704:IMG_4262.JPG]

i think i would have deleted the EGR at that point - usually theyre nothing but trouble and certainly all that exhaust gas going back in is less than great.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Members

Sorry for two reasons, first my bad english and second get a May/2008 post.

I'm spanish (from Spain), my E60 is a 530d of 10/2004 and have 135.000 kms. (we use the metrical system).

I just cleaned de EGR and the intake manifold swirl flaps, all very contaminated, I found this Anzafin post and read a lot of information about the problem of swirl flaps and technical data of them.

I think that eliminate or deleted the EGR is not a good idea, the "turbocompresor" and the central unit works in "EGR ON" mode, if you want to eliminate de EGR you need to reprogram the central unit to work fine.

I have only one cuestion about the 12 bolts and 7 nuts of intake manifold, need a press torque?, I tight them without proper tool (in spanish "dinamometrica"), and I am not sure of having used the necessary force to press the screws, I was afraid of break them.

Thank you all for this great forum.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tramposo' post='668688' date='Sep 13 2008, 11:36 PM
Sorry for two reasons, first my bad english and second get a May/2008 post.

I'm spanish (from Spain), my E60 is a 530d of 10/2004 and have 135.000 kms. (we use the metrical system).

I just cleaned de EGR and the intake manifold swirl flaps, all very contaminated, I found this Anzafin post and read a lot of information about the problem of swirl flaps and technical data of them.

I think that eliminate or deleted the EGR is not a good idea, the "turbocompresor" and the central unit works in "EGR ON" mode, if you want to eliminate de EGR you need to reprogram the central unit to work fine.

I have only one cuestion about the 12 bolts and 7 nuts of intake manifold, need a press torque?, I tight them without proper tool (in spanish "dinamometrica"), and I am not sure of having used the necessary force to press the screws, I was afraid of break them.

Thank you all for this great forum.
Hi!

Yes they should be tightened with specific torques. I don't remember exactly, but they were something 10-15Nm. I didn't have the right tool either, I just tightened them with a gentle touch .

ps. No need to be sorry!
Old 09-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Members

Thanks you for your answer, I just read in the TIS the torque at 15Nm. The next week i'll open and solve the swirl problem for ever.

I think that the problem of swirl flaps isn't the EGR contamination, the problem is when the swirl flaps are closed and tend to be opened, the powerful force of suction of the engine prevents that the swirl flaps are opened, does not leave them to do this movement freely, then the axis of swirl is twisted and tends to split, because the butterfly does the effect guards of ship and the engine that moves the swirl flaps wants to open them, But the axis does not split, after trying it during thousands of kilometres or several years, ultimately the axis splits. the swirl flap pulls the axis across the screws that hold her to, because of it is in the habit of dividing for this point.

Surely disconnect the lung that opens and closes the swirl flaps to make them opened a time and to see the effects, if it convinces me, later I will remove them.

Thank you again for your answer and a greeting.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Contributors

I know couple of guys here in Finland who have removed the swirl flaps from their E60's. No error codes or anything. But they left the EGR working.
I am going to remove them too. If you make it before me, please tell me the results!
Old 09-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Members

Here is many people who have removed the swirl flaps, and almost they all coincide with that loses little power in low rpm. Others do not feel anything.

When I makes it I say the results to you.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Members

Anzafin, I just do it, this evening I have removed the swirl flaps and have proved a bit the car, in cold and in warm, and I have not noticed anything, except that before it was giving pulls on having passed for the 3000 rpm and now it passed softly.

The car walks and sounds exactly equally.

Hereinafter I will give you information of consumptions and other details.

Regards.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaning the intake manifold in a diesel engine