DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

check engine service soon light

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 04:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Morning BMW forum,
I hope some can give me some input. My check Engine Service Light soon has come on does anybody know how to reset this light. It had came on few months ago and the dealer said it was a bad O2 sensor and replaced But I?m not sure if this is the same problem because somebody on previous forums had said it can come on from your gas cap not being tight and we I check sure enough the gas attend hand not tighten the gas cap is there a way to fix this problem without going to the dealer? If the senor is bad is this something I can replace may self if I know where to locate the sensor and change it. People of the BMW forum you help is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Contributors

From memory (depending if you have the keyless start or not) get your car to the point where the dash lights are on, but the engine is not running. Press and hold the odometer reset button until you see an exclamation mark appear. Release the button, then press and release the button quickly to scroll through a series of potential faults. If the icon is yellow, there is no problem, if the icon is red, you will need to reset it. The icon I believe you will be looking for shows the front half of the car from the side with a big exclamation mark above it.

To reset - once you have the red icon in the screen, press and hold the odometer reset button until the icon changes to "RESET?" Immediately release the odometer reset button, then press it again for about one second. The icon should turn yellow, and you can move on to clear the rest of the codes.

If there is an error there, just use the search button, I use it all the time and 99% of the time I find what I am looking for. This isn't a forum, it is an E60 bible.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

I had the same problem on my X5 for a while and finally fixed it at the dealer last week. First it was the cap, then replaced the sensor....then it came back again.....finally they forund that the rubber hose of the air vent was worn out and leaking. Changed it and no more. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

From memory, that was great...

Tonymac
Old 12-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by iCharles' post='753420' date='Dec 27 2008, 12:17 AM
From memory (depending if you have the keyless start or not) get your car to the point where the dash lights are on, but the engine is not running. Press and hold the odometer reset button until you see an exclamation mark appear. Release the button, then press and release the button quickly to scroll through a series of potential faults. If the icon is yellow, there is no problem, if the icon is red, you will need to reset it. The icon I believe you will be looking for shows the front half of the car from the side with a big exclamation mark above it.

To reset - once you have the red icon in the screen, press and hold the odometer reset button until the icon changes to "RESET?" Immediately release the odometer reset button, then press it again for about one second. The icon should turn yellow, and you can move on to clear the rest of the codes.

If there is an error there, just use the search button, I use it all the time and 99% of the time I find what I am looking for. This isn't a forum, it is an E60 bible.
Thank for your advice everything was going good except the car Icon were all orange and the one icon you mention the half car with the exclamation in front is for the front brake is there another Icon I should be looking and all to resest the check engine service soon? Once again thank you very much.