DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changing wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 06:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i

Am unable to free wheels after removing bolts to change over to my summer wheels. Is there a secret to wheel removal?
Old 05-08-2006, 06:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

very common issue. iirc it relates to the different metals of hub and wheel reacting, thus bonding.

You can either undo the bolts and use a rubber mallet against the tyre (not wheel) at alternating points. e.g. 9 o'clock then at 3, then at 12, then at 6. You can also sit on the floor and use your heels, kicking it.

Second option was given to me by a BMW dealer. Your bolts normally turn in 6,5 turns I think.
They said to undo them from fully tight by about a couple of turns and then roll the car forward and back.
The car can't collapse or damage the bolts, as it's still sitting on the hub. (that's what the dealer said)

Once you have them off, don't forget to give the mating faces a very thin coat of copper paste to avoid them from bonding again. Use the copper paste very sparingly, as otherwise you might get a few copper spots on wheel and car from the rotation.

Good luck
Old 05-08-2006, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It can be very tricky, just ask the woman in the video posted by Tommy right here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&showtop...ndpost&p=279362
Old 05-08-2006, 06:19 AM
Senior Members

Kick the tire a couple of times with the bottom of your foot, rotate some, and kick again until it comes free.

Not hard enough, of course, to knock the car off the jack.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Drillbit' post='279385' date='May 8 2006, 09:03 AM
Am unable to free wheels after removing bolts to change over to my summer wheels. Is there a secret to wheel removal?

One of my least favorite things to do. Did this on my Audi this week in rotating my tires.

I take the spare wheel (Audi has a full size spare) and bang it on the sidewall of the stuck wheel. As you bang, you'll see a gap in the inner hub getting bigger and your making progress. Takes about 5 to 10 swings. The spare tire has decent mass and tire rubber doesn't scratch anything. Just don't hit the fender. My rubber battering ram method is surely primative but it works.

I'll have to try the copper grease.

CVT Benhogan
Old 05-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (UK) Bulit: Feb 2004, 520i (M54), 6-Speed Manual, Black leather, Titanium Silver, Bi-Xenon, Headlamp washers, Side rear airbags, Park Distance Control, Aluminium trim, Standard Climate Control, 17" wheels, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's, Spacesaver Spare wheel, Jack, Dynamic drive, Service Inclusive, Chrome grills, Software version 20.01.00, E60.net Clings, Painted wheel hubs silver

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='279462' date='May 8 2006, 06:37 PM
One of my least favorite things to do. Did this on my Audi this week in rotating my tires.

CVT Benhogan
Hey i really need to rotate the tires, but cannot get round to having a garage do it! Can you explain exactly how you do it, as i dont see how you can jack up the car and swap two wheels at once?!?! I have a spare btw, thanks!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='279462' date='May 8 2006, 01:37 PM

I take the spare wheel (Audi has a full size spare) and bang it on the sidewall of the stuck wheel. As you bang, you'll see a gap in the inner hub getting bigger and your making progress. Takes about 5 to 10 swings. The spare tire has decent mass and tire rubber doesn't scratch anything. Just don't hit the fender. My rubber battering ram method is surely primative but it works.

I'll have to try the copper grease.

CVT Benhogan
After you clean the hub from any corrosion put on a thin coat of wheel bearing grease.I've been doing it for years without a problem and you don't have to worry about the copper grease getting on your wheel and making marks.Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 05-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by ScottishBimmer' post='279463' date='May 8 2006, 12:48 PM
Hey i really need to rotate the tires, but cannot get round to having a garage do it! Can you explain exactly how you do it, as i dont see how you can jack up the car and swap two wheels at once?!?! I have a spare btw, thanks!

Get a decent jack and have two jack stands (less than $100). With the parking brake on, loosen but do not remove bolts on the first wheel with the car on the ground. Jack by this end and lower it onto a jack stand. A jack stand is stable. With the wheel up, take off the bolts and get your spare tire. Swing the spare tire underhanded (legs spread abit with a two hand bowling motion) and aim for the inner part of the sidewall at the 3'o clock position. If you miss the mark, the inside of the rim usually takes the blow instead of the fender.

After every couple swings, stop and see if the gap between wheel and hub is widening (its opposite to the side being struck). You'll be losing alittle breath here. Sometimes I reverse and bang on the otherside and it frees faster. The wheel will eventually pop off. If one side starts to widen, stay there and keep swingin.

After the first wheel is off, peform the same procedure on the other tire on the same side. I generally leave the car on two jackstands and clean the rims thoroughly. I clean the grime on inner part of the rim that can be really scrubbed with the wheel off. Caution, the weight basis of the tire is on the face of the rim, so it can tip and possibly get scratched by a concrete floor. :'( So, roll the tire to safe section of the garage and put it immediately down face up.

There must be a better way than this but my method works. The jack stands are key no matter what. No sliding at all.

CVT Benhogan
Old 05-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

All you have to do is kick it a few times
Old 05-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by iceman316' post='279605' date='May 8 2006, 05:18 PM
All you have to do is kick it a few times

Wanna bet?

CVT Benhogan

Quick Reply: Changing wheels