DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changing manual gearbox oil on 545i

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing manual gearbox oil on 545i

I have done many searches on this forum as well as google and I can not seem to find anything on a DIY for the manual gear box oil change. At first I thought changing the differential oil covered the manual gearbox, but then the dealer said they are separate and that I needed oil for each of them.

I plan on using the LandRover oil for the differential since it is the same thing and much cheaper.

Can anyone set me straight on this? My car has 66k miles and I only drive 6k miles a year and do not want to wait 6 more years to get that oil out of my car.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Go to the dealership and ask for deferential oil you need 1.4liters . Usually they have it in big container but you bring yours. I think it's about $15 for liter you will also need new drain and fill plugs and big syringe pump to put the oil in.
For transmission you need deferent oil that you can also buy at dealership. They sell it in 5 liter container but you need 2.5 liters and new plugs also. Changing procedure is the same as deferential.
I would not put any other oil except the one that was there before.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

I have had good success with Pentosin MTF-LT2 (available at some auto parts stores) since it is the same as the stock fluid. I've been running the GM Synchromesh FM for about 10k miles now and I've been VERY happy with the results.

It's not rocket science; the drain and fill bolts are very close to each other, and both pretty easy to find once you remove the underbody covering. Always open the fill bolt before you drain out the old fluid. They are hex-socket bolts, like the brake caliper bolts, so you'll need a set of the correct bits to remove them.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 545felix
I have had good success with Pentosin MTF-LT2 (available at some auto parts stores) since it is the same as the stock fluid. I've been running the GM Synchromesh FM for about 10k miles now and I've been VERY happy with the results.

It's not rocket science; the drain and fill bolts are very close to each other, and both pretty easy to find once you remove the underbody covering. Always open the fill bolt before you drain out the old fluid. They are hex-socket bolts, like the brake caliper bolts, so you'll need a set of the correct bits to remove them.
NAPA can get some of the Penosin. They also have this german stuff called liqui moly.

That seems to meet the spec for extended life.

So use the same differential oil for both the manual gearbox and the differential?

Has anyone tried the Liqui Moly before? Not inexpensive stuff.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by squidzilla
NAPA can get some of the Penosin. They also have this german stuff called liqui moly.

That seems to meet the spec for extended life.

So use the same differential oil for both the manual gearbox and the differential?
NO. The diff oil is of similar weight, but is not the same fluid.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Members

OK thanks. I will just use OEM fluid and give them my arm for the piece of mind.

I am ordering two new drain plugs for the differential but I do not have that option for the manual gearbox. I guess I am ok with using the same one over again on the gearbox.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:44 AM
Members

Lightbulb

Changing manual gearbox oil on 545i

Here's a link to BMW info on MT oils. You may need to check the label on the right side of the MT case to confirm the actual fluid used.

My E61's MT transmission label specifies MTF-LT-2 (see trans fluid p/n on label in pic below). I used the Pentosin equivalent because it available in 1 liter containers.

As best as I can tell, the rear diff (final drive) gear oil for the non-M E60/61 is Castrol SAF-XO. This is SAE 75W-90 / API GL-5 synthetic gear oil, so any equivalent should be fine. For example, I have Red Line 75W-90 synthetic gear oil in my E61's rear diff. Final drive gear oils containing limited slip friction modifiers are OK for "open" (non-LS) diffs.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Last edited by crewzer; 10-11-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Members

Thanks for that. So far I have found a place called autohasaz.com that has the Pentosin MTF fluid for 19.95 each and if I order three I get it shipped for free and do not pay sales tax.

All this time owning this car I had no idea about all of this stuff..... I am done being the sucker that just pays whatever the dealer asks for any kind of work.