DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

changing a headlight bulb

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Can anybody give me the proceedure for replacing a burned out zenon bulb on an 06' 530. Did a search, but got no useable results.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Contributors

I don't know about the 5-Series but on the 6 there are 2 screws in the wheel well torwards the front. undo those and a flap comes down which gives you access to headlight bulb
Old 01-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: AW E46 M3 Vert

Originally Posted by bimmerluuvr' post='777076' date='Jan 25 2009, 05:02 PM
Can anybody give me the proceedure for replacing a burned out zenon bulb on an 06' 530. Did a search, but got no useable results.
unfortunately you have to pull the whole headlight out...

there are 2 big torx screws on top of each headlight, one on the outside corner of the headlight and the other almost in the middle...unscrew those. then get a flash light and you will see there are 2 smaller screws behind the headlight at the bottom holding it as well, get an extension and a socket and carefully unscrew those 2 as well (torx screw as well i think). at this point you should be ready to pull on the headlight and feel it moving around.

heres the hard part.... try to maneuver that thing out without scratching the fender or bumper. eventually you'll figure out the best way to get it out and should be able to leave everything plugged in while getting to the back of the headlight with plenty of room to work.

btw: i found it easier to pull the headlight out and put back in if you remove the back cover where the drl's are (where the inner bulbs sit) you'll see it, its like a circular cover that just twists off.

good luck
Old 06-16-2009, 06:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by e60_fanatic' post='781601' date='Jan 31 2009, 01:13 AM

there are 2 big torx screws on top of each headlight, one on the outside corner of the headlight and the other almost in the middle...unscrew those. then get a flash light and you will see there are 2 smaller screws behind the headlight at the bottom holding it as well, get an extension and a socket and carefully unscrew those 2 as well (torx screw as well i think). at this point you should be ready to pull on the headlight and feel it moving around.

heres the hard part.... try to maneuver that thing out without scratching the fender or bumper. eventually you'll figure out the best way to get it out and should be able to leave everything plugged in while getting to the back of the headlight with plenty of room to work.

btw: i found it easier to pull the headlight out and put back in if you remove the back cover where the drl's are (where the inner bulbs sit) you'll see it, its like a circular cover that just twists off.

good luck
Ok, so my left headlight went out a couple days ago. I have a 2004 525i, xenon.
I'm not sure what type of bulb I should bye and where from.
I've been looking online ant it looks like there are two different types of bulbs, D1S and D2S. there's also different brightness (4300k, 5000k, 6000k etc...), and they also talk about a low beam bulb and a high beam bulb which is confusing to me because I thought that the same bulb had both low and high beam.
I'm interested in getting the same kind that I had before, does anyone know exactly what type of bulb I should use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this taken care of right away before I get pulled over.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by ziad' post='913165' date='Jun 16 2009, 10:20 AM
Ok, so my left headlight went out a couple days ago. I have a 2004 525i, xenon.
I'm not sure what type of bulb I should bye and where from.
I've been looking online ant it looks like there are two different types of bulbs, D1S and D2S. there's also different brightness (4300k, 5000k, 6000k etc...), and they also talk about a low beam bulb and a high beam bulb which is confusing to me because I thought that the same bulb had both low and high beam.
I'm interested in getting the same kind that I had before, does anyone know exactly what type of bulb I should use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this taken care of right away before I get pulled over.
hi, take a picture of the bulb and post it up. Here's one for comparison for you:

D1S bulb.

D2S bulb.

Those r not my pictures. Take out the headlight and the bulb should also read which type of bulb. If u need to purchase any lighting equipment, feel free to contact me.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Members

My Ride: None

Originally Posted by E60 545i SPORT

good luck
I have a 2008 535i LCI w/ the D1S bulb. Do I have to take off the bumper to do this? Or do the directions already mentioned applies to my car too? Thanks for your help!!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Members

My Ride: bmw
Model Year: 2000

i have an 2007 E61 wagon, i also want to know if the procedure on top works. I belive i also have D1S bulb.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Members

My Ride: None

Originally Posted by vladvm
i have an 2007 E61 wagon, i also want to know if the procedure on top works. I belive i also have D1S bulb.
Yeah i'm sure it's the same. You'll need an extended tool to reach the lower back 2 screws... but it's easy to do and thank god we don't have to take off the bumper lol.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Go to DIY section. It's been there for years. You don't have to pull whole headlight out. Makes it easier depending on the person though.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by G.Sauce
Yeah i'm sure it's the same. You'll need an extended tool to reach the lower back 2 screws... but it's easy to do and thank god we don't have to take off the bumper lol.
IF you decide to remove your headlights to replace the Xenon bulb LOOSEN but DO NOT REMOVE the bottom screws; the top screws are removed.

The OP should search for AE installation DIYs as they also have good pics showing headlight removal.