DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Carputer Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport, Carbon Black, Black half leather

Right.. after having my car for about two months now i been looking at retrofitting alot of things but have finaly decided that putting in a carputer is the way forward! All in one, everything can be added when it needs be

Have been searching on the net and people dont have to many problems with the job but advice would still be great

After looking on this site, heres the things i THINK i need

Mini PC, doesnt HAVE to be designed to be a car-pc but obviously has to be small for install reasons
Screen capable of replacing iDrive screen
Car UPS so when the power cuts out when ignition is turned off it safely shuts down the system
Power transformer of some sort to power the pc.. not to clued up on this yet so will have to research
Carputer Software... this is the least of my worrys

Anyone here done a carputer install
Old 02-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Epic' post='798893' date='Feb 22 2009, 02:22 PM
Right.. after having my car for about two months now i been looking at retrofitting alot of things but have finaly decided that putting in a carputer is the way forward! All in one, everything can be added when it needs be

Have been searching on the net and people dont have to many problems with the job but advice would still be great

After looking on this site, heres the things i THINK i need

Mini PC, doesnt HAVE to be designed to be a car-pc but obviously has to be small for install reasons
Screen capable of replacing iDrive screen
Car UPS so when the power cuts out when ignition is turned off it safely shuts down the system
Power transformer of some sort to power the pc.. not to clued up on this yet so will have to research
Carputer Software... this is the least of my worrys

Anyone here done a carputer install
Whatever you do get a computer that has LOTS AND LOTS or RAM or it will really annoy you when the computer needs a long time when powering on. I think you will have a hard time replacing the iDrive so I would mount the screen where the ash tray is. That is what another member did.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Take a look at the following threads to see some examples of what others have done:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=70725
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry53246
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=62371
Old 02-23-2009, 02:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530d M Sport, Carbon Black, Black half leather

Yeh i seen all of these after doing a few searchs. so so much reading to be done. very interesting information. I see you have replyed on alot of the carputer topics. They all seem to have problems geting the iDrive signal and the car-pc signal to go into the same screen.. Would be great to just have a button to switch over the signal so if you needed idrive to change any settings its just a push of a button away. I got abit confused with the iBus and MOST talk..

On the first link hes done a great job installing the monitor but i think i would hit the screen everytime you put it into gear, and would also take your eyes well away from the road if you wanted to change anything while cruising along. where as doing the iDrive screen upgrade its dead in front of you and just a small glance away.

I will try put together a little shopping list of prices for like, screen, pc, cables ect and see what can be done.. Im from the UK so things tend to cost that little more!

Does anyone know if anyones solved the problem with having idrive and pc on the same retrofitted screen?
Will keep you all updated as to how i get on if i do take on this project
Old 02-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Members

i used this item and it works fine, i have an e60 2004 530d with no navigation fitted just basic business radio no changer,
the item cost ?299 and comes with tailor made install instructions for e60, all you need to do to activate it is press the menu button under the idrive spinner for a couple of seconds and it switches over as it links into the canbus system, from your car computer you will need an a/v out and some way of getting sound into the headunit???, this item has a fm modulator but this dosnt seem to give a good signal (i think the e60 reception on the fm is crap anyway), if you want i drive back on press the menu button again once, easy and you still keep idrive !!!!,

http://www.pegasussl.co.uk/series-inputs-v...on-p-12344.html

hope this helps

ps i didnt install a computer but gps using the following box with route 66 running and using a remote to input the route settings as i drive screen is not touch screen (works quite well)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Navigationssystem-GPS-Box-Navirechner-Tom-Tom-Route-66_W0QQitemZ250354140281QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTechnik_Auto_Hi_Fi_Navigation_Einbau_Navigationssysteme?hash=item250354140281&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
pps i tapped into the cigarette lighter for switched power although it goes off when the key is not in the start engine position (damn car , cant find a basic switched power wire anywhere!!!)

full gps running on the idrive screen for under ?500

hope this helps

simon