5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   DIY: Do It Yourself (https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/)
-   -   A/C issue (https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yourself-14/c-issue-134320/)

545i-pilot 08-05-2013 06:17 PM

A/C issue

My A/C wasn't blowing as cold as I thought it should be seeing how I've felt colder from less quality vehicles. I am an aircraft mechanic and a friend of mine is an experienced auto mechanic and does a/c work. we put a set of gauges on it and the low side was too high indicating a blockage. we replaced the expansion valve and after two cans of Freon the a/c temp was the same but when we put in the third the temperature rose by 10 degrees and the high and low side pressure indications went the opposite directions as they were supposed to. Any ideas on what may be causing this ? Is there something else that would cause a blockage ?

ncsugrad2006 08-07-2013 08:18 AM

Are you sure you didn't overcharge it? When I re-charged my system (2004 545i) I only put in two cans. If I remember correctly the BMW spec was for just barely over 2 cans.. maybe an ounce or two over. It's probably not quite as hot over here (central NC), but it's in the 90's pretty regularly and it cools the car off fine. I may add the extra few ounces at some point to see if it makes it better.

Putting too much in will cause the temp to go up

545i-pilot 08-11-2013 11:49 PM

I just replaced my dryer filter and compressor and flushed out my condenser then put in the exact amount specified using a brand new snap on recovery/servicing machine...no change....low side is still too high....guess all that's left into replace the condenser because its still indicating a blockage.

ncsugrad2006 08-19-2013 05:42 PM

how high?

545i-pilot 08-25-2013 11:42 PM

55 on the low side and like 210 on the high.....its the condensor....did some research this weekend and found that its a parallel flow and non flushable...when blowing thru it with shop air and/or your mouth its obviously plugged up...ordered a new one already...update coming soon

chrisgo 08-31-2013 06:50 PM

my ac wont get very cold, actually the passenger side seems colder than driver side. Is that possible. What could be the problem

545i-pilot 09-02-2013 12:46 AM

That sounds more like a blend door

ncsugrad2006 09-03-2013 09:03 AM

agree

noberryafterdingl 09-06-2013 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by chrisgo (Post 1517877)
my ac wont get very cold, actually the passenger side seems colder than driver side. Is that possible. What could be the problem

i had the same problem i thought i was going crazy.... i refilled the ac and still no results.... what did work was play with the temperature knob putting it on like 68 degrees or finding the sweet spot were it blows cold... i did research and turns out the servo for the flap that controls cold/hot air in the cabin is going bad so it blows cold when ac temp is set to 68 degrees,idrive set to full blue bars, and recalculation on!!!! just remeber when looking for the sweet spot wait 2 minutes between changing temp