DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Business Navigation Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 03:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 520d
Thumbs up

I just purchased original Business Navigation Retrofit kit (Nr.:65 90 0 412 213) from eBay .

I'm now waiting for delivery and preparing for installation project. The kit includes M-ASK, GPS antenna and cables but no installation instructions as far as I know. I have been searching forum extensively, but I have not found installation instructions for business navigation. More common in this forum is to upgrade from Business to Professional and that's well documented here. I guess business navigation installation is really straight forward or everybody has let dealer to do complete installation. I thought to do it myself except coding.

I have TIS available, so I know how to switch MASK, but I need instructions for wiring. Is GPS antenna all I need to add? I guess that gps antenna installation instruction for professional navigation fits also for business.

and couple more questions:
1. I have Logic7. Does it effect to installation? Extra cable perhaps?

2. GPS antenna: Is it a separate unit in retrofit kits or do I need to replace the original radio antenna under shark fin? I have bluetooth kit also, so common antenna for GPS and phone is then required.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vesil' post='484953' date='Oct 23 2007, 12:06 PM
I just purchased original Business Navigation Retrofit kit (Nr.:65 90 0 412 213) from eBay .

I'm now waiting for delivery and preparing for installation project. The kit includes M-ASK, GPS antenna and cables but no installation instructions as far as I know. I have been searching forum extensively, but I have not found installation instructions for business navigation. More common in this forum is to upgrade from Business to Professional and that's well documented here. I guess business navigation installation is really straight forward or everybody has let dealer to do complete installation. I thought to do it myself except coding.

I have TIS available, so I know how to switch MASK, but I need instructions for wiring. Is GPS antenna all I need to add? I guess that gps antenna installation instruction for professional navigation fits also for business.

and couple more questions:
1. I have Logic7. Does it effect to installation? Extra cable perhaps?

2. GPS antenna: Is it a separate unit in retrofit kits or do I need to replace the original radio antenna under shark fin? I have bluetooth kit also, so common antenna for GPS and phone is then required.
There is BMW part for the GPS retro cabling this is just a long co-axial cable from the MASK/CCC to the Antenna in the fin
61126941294 in the uk about 16 pounds its 6 m long so expect a long job..
this is the nav prep and the antenna is 65206957344

No extra logic 7 cabling, as far as i know, but you will need to have the business nav MASK coded to match you car afterwards, only then will the logic 7 work, see my posts of the CCC and software version gotcha - they may end up updating you whole car.

Being honest as engineer there is very little cable differences business nav to CCC same plug etc..

the pro nav has the fan cable for the CCC and an extra microphone and a different Idrive

One cable pre some date in 2004 links the Nav with the CAS its a single wire. That should be in the PDFs
but not sure if business nav needs it ???

MAE60D
Old 10-24-2007, 05:48 AM
Members

Thank you very much Ma60D for quick and comprehensive reply!

If somebody has official installation instructions for business navigation retrofit, that still welcome.

Originally Posted by MaE60D' post='485194' date='Oct 24 2007, 12:55 AM
No extra logic 7 cabling, as far as i know, but you will need to have the business nav MASK coded to match you car afterwards, only then will the logic 7 work, see my posts of the CCC and software version gotcha - they may end up updating you whole car.
That's what I was afraid of... Both navigation M-ASK and my car have been made in Sept. 2005, so they should have combatible versions. BUT...Is updating required for coding MASK to match Logic7? Better start discussion with my dealer about required coding and update.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:28 AM
Members

Project update:

Retrofit kit arrived yesterday from Germany and I was really eager to test it even though I have not booked time for coding to dealer yet.

Anyway, opening of dashboard and replacing M-ASK unit was really simple and it's well described in several post here. I just printed post: Front Wood Trim Installation. That has all needed instructions.

Of course system was not fully functional without coding. All my options which are operated via iDrive were missing: CD-changer, Logic7, bluetooth and Auxiliary heater. But I got the right coordinates to screen, so navigation works and purpose of testing was reached. One thing was really strange: I tested some addresses here close to Helsinki and I found them from address book. Then I started guidance, the system said "Cannot find address from DVD". I also tested our company's office address in Frankfurt and system started guidance. How to tell the system that it's now in Finland? I think that Business navigation do not handle navigation across the country boarders and that is the explanation.

So far my only real headache has been gps antenna. Retrofit kit has only about one meter long antenna cable and GPS antenna is not e60 original. Instead it has small, black GPS antenna 65.90-8375944 which is originally for e39. I'm fine with that I do not need to install cable to roof and open half of interior. Because I still do not have installation instructions, I do not now what is BMW's idea about antenna placement. I tested that antenna works fine under the dashboard, but of course it's not technically the best possible solution. Ideas are welcome! One solution is of course go for original roof antenna, but I think it's too complicated compared with benefits of "somewhere around the dashboard" installation.

Picture of antenna over the dashboard is in the gallery. Placement absolutely temporary solution.

Pictures

During next week I will have couple trips to abroad and project will continue after that.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:24 AM
Members

Project finally continued couple days ago with coding but it was not successful.

My car has PROGMAN 19.X and dealer said that car has to upgraded to the latest PROGMAN (27.X) before they can update the M-ASK and vehicle order (=what equipments are in the car). I expect that and it's OK. When they started update, system asked to replace CHAMP/M-ASK. They could not tell me clearly if the retrofit navigation M-ASK is incompatible with my car or with the latest PROGAM version. They proposed put the old M-ASK back and continue upgrade, but I decided to take timeout and find out if the rejected M-ASK can be coded to my car after PROGMAN update.

I have certain doubts that my car and this navigation M-ASK cannot be coded together even after PROGMAN update. I hope that someone with more experience about Progman versions and retrofits can confirm or deny my thoughts. Because I do not have any other reason for PROGMAN upgrade, I like to stay in current version, if navigation retrofit won't success.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vesil' post='498463' date='Nov 24 2007, 11:24 AM
Project finally continued couple days ago with coding but it was not successful.

My car has PROGMAN 19.X and dealer said that car has to upgraded to the latest PROGMAN (27.X) before they can update the M-ASK and vehicle order (=what equipments are in the car). I expect that and it's OK. When they started update, system asked to replace CHAMP/M-ASK. They could not tell me clearly if the retrofit navigation M-ASK is incompatible with my car or with the latest PROGAM version. They proposed put the old M-ASK back and continue upgrade, but I decided to take timeout and find out if the rejected M-ASK can be coded to my car after PROGMAN update.

I have certain doubts that my car and this navigation M-ASK cannot be coded together even after PROGMAN update. I hope that someone with more experience about Progman versions and retrofits can confirm or deny my thoughts. Because I do not have any other reason for PROGMAN upgrade, I like to stay in current version, if navigation retrofit won't success.

Good luck on your project. Let me know if you get it done successfully. I'm here in the USA. I have a 2004 E60 build date 10/03 with M-ASK computer NO Navigation I want to upgrade to NAV PRO with CCC but they said they can't do it.

So I'm really interested to see if you can do it. If you can then so can many other people.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dv8ed' post='499033' date='Nov 26 2007, 06:52 AM
Good luck on your project. Let me know if you get it done successfully. I'm here in the USA. I have a 2004 E60 build date 10/03 with M-ASK computer NO Navigation I want to upgrade to NAV PRO with CCC but they said they can't do it.

So I'm really interested to see if you can do it. If you can then so can many other people.
Thanks! Even though I'm now struggling with project. It will be done - sooner or later. Finns do not give up But currently it seems that it will happen a bit later. First I have to sell this M-ASK and find an other one.

I guess Business navigation is not available US and NAV PRO with CCC is much complicated project, but hard to think that it's not possible at all, because several members have done full conversion from business to Pro in Europe and Australia. In Europe there has been also an official retrofit kit for NAV PRO.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vesil' post='498463' date='Nov 24 2007, 04:24 PM

Hi,
Have you put the old unit back in yet? if not do this then take the car for the update to version 27. After this the dealer should look at the "RETROFIT" section of CiP to find the Bussiness NAV and then fit the new M-ASK and complete the coding.

It should work...
Old 11-28-2007, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Originally Posted by WHIZZKID' post='499743' date='Nov 28 2007, 01:04 AM
Hi,
Have you put the old unit back in yet? if not do this then take the car for the update to version 27. After this the dealer should look at the "RETROFIT" section of CiP to find the Bussiness NAV and then fit the new M-ASK and complete the coding.

It should work...
Hi vesil

Befor we did the re-coding of the used M-ASK ( and a used CCC ) , the car ( BMW E60 525IA 12/2003 ) software was opdatet to v29.0 , ( the newest at that time ) so I dont think it have anything to do whit re-coding of a used M-ASk or CCC.

Perhaps it is a demant , that the car and M-ASK/CCC must have the same version of opdate , otherweise it will not corospond and opdate the M-ASK/CCC but Im not sure , the problem is that we can not make a tjek/control , to see wich software version the used M-ASK/CCC have wich wo we have tryed ( we dont know wich car they came from and there software versions , came in from retrofitting of radio M-ASK to new un-coded Nav. Business M-ASK`s and CCC`s at the BMW dealership/garage ).

Stands at the moment:

Trying to get a CCC program disc , so we can try with these together with PROGMAN coding a "replacement" unit ( used radio M-ASK and a used CCC ) .

Schould anybody have some ideers , dont hold back :-) :-)
Old 11-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Members

Originally Posted by WHIZZKID' post='499743' date='Nov 28 2007, 02:04 AM
Hi,

It should work...
Yes, old M-ASK is back is dashboard, because I didn't have any sound from Logic7 without coding. I also believe that only way to proceed is PROGMAN update. Maybe it's my own Christmas present

Quick Reply: Business Navigation Retrofit