DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

bumper plugs removal help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know how to take the existing bumper plugs outs because my pulling effect got my fingers all cut up and hurting
Old 11-10-2006, 01:39 PM
MAK
Members

Which plugs do you mean? I can only think of the Park Distance Control sensors on the front and rear bumpers which I would imagine would involve removing bumper to gain access. ?????
Old 11-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

when i said bumper plugs i meant the holes for where the license plate holes are, i took my license plate off and put "bumper plugs" to color the drilled holes
Old 11-10-2006, 01:49 PM
MAK
Members

Oops! sorry! not a problem here in UK as we have to keep licence plate on at all times when on the road. Can you get some thin fishing gut down between the bodywork and the plug and try pulling on that ? Just a thought without seeing the plug itself.
Good luck!
Old 11-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MAK' post='354659' date='Nov 10 2006, 02:49 PM
Oops! sorry! not a problem here in UK as we have to keep licence plate on at all times when on the road. Can you get some thin fishing gut down between the bodywork and the plug and try pulling on that ? Just a thought without seeing the plug itself.
Good luck!

ill post a pic up soon so u get an idea of what it looks like
Old 11-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Senior Members

heres wat it is.....the holes are just a bit under the grills, im thinking about taking out the grills and reaching in from there, but not sure yet

Old 11-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Contributors

a pair of scissors and cloth. just wrap the scissors up with cloth so it doesn't scrath or dent your car, then with your hands or a wrapped flathead screw driver, pry it off enough so that the scissors can fit in between the plugs and the car, like its cutting it, but instead of cutting, just pull it out.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Black525i, i had the same problem as you. I brought my car to the bodyshop and they use this tool which pull the bumper plugs out aggressively which cause bigger holes on the license plates holes.

Did you get caught by the cops for not having front plate on ?
Old 11-11-2006, 06:54 AM
MAK
Members

I would try looping the fishing gut down behind the head of the plug (if possible) and pulling. If not you can try the scissors trick (sounds risky ) or even more risky drill them out with a thin diameter drill bit taking all the appropriate paint protection measures beforehand.
Good luck! and let us know what you did.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by soc_fans' post='354746' date='Nov 10 2006, 08:49 PM
Black525i, i had the same problem as you. I brought my car to the bodyshop and they use this tool which pull the bumper plugs out aggressively which cause bigger holes on the license plates holes.

Did you get caught by the cops for not having front plate on ?

no its not that, i got new plugs in the mail and want to replace existing ones with the new ones....

Quick Reply: bumper plugs removal help!!