DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Brake Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i Monaco Blue

Hey guys, I want to change out my brake pads to eliminate the brake dust that?s driving me crazy , is this a conventional brake shoe change or is there something specific to BMWs that I should know about. Thanks

2006 550i
Old 10-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Just get some Axxis Advanced pads they're great !
Old 10-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='705744' date='Oct 28 2008, 02:32 PM
Just get some Axxis Advanced pads they're great !
, there ya go again...

BTT: Axxis seems to be the recc'd brand for pads with low brake dust...I believe modbargains.com has the best price around for them as well..

http://www.modbargains.com/product.aspx?pf...Pads_BMW_E60_BL
Old 10-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Contributors

OK thanks for brand name info, but is this a conventional brake shoe change or is there something specific to BMWs that I should know about?
Thanks
Old 10-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Ahsan' post='705809' date='Oct 28 2008, 07:03 PM
OK thanks for brand name info, but is this a conventional brake shoe change or is there something specific to BMWs that I should know about?
Thanks
OMG ... Somebody helllllp
Old 10-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='705812' date='Oct 28 2008, 07:06 PM
OMG ... Somebody helllllp
Sorry.....Brake PAD change
Old 10-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Ahsan' post='705829' date='Oct 28 2008, 07:19 PM
Sorry.....Brake PAD change
I'll bet you could have stuffed that post with a TAMPAX

Glad you saw it was a humorous poke. NOW, seriously, I've done a few of my own brake pad / disc R&R's in the past but not on my '07 530xi. Since I have full maintenance for 100K miles on this one I'll let BMW take care of it. But there are any number of good after-market pads out there.

It's always a trade off between pedal feel, brake pad effectiveness, noise, dust, disc wear, etc.
Don't fall for the racing ready pads - they work when they are HOT and most street driving won't get them near the temps that they will be effective.
BMW disc rotors don't take to cutting - it's been my experience that new pads = new brake discs!
Brake sensor replacement IMHO are a must.
Proper lube of brake slides and pins will help reduce noise - consider the use of a brake pad noise silencing material (spray or paint on) - there are several brands out there.
Proper torque of all parts - I don't have the specs but someone will post I'm sure.
It may be difficult to remove some parts if they have been on for some time and were not prepared when last reassembled.
Putting it all together use a proper anti-seize on the brake disc hold down screw and (THIS IS A BIG ONE) and apply a light grease coating to where the wheel mounts on the hub! That little hex screw is a killer ... I'd give it a good spray of WD40 a day or two in advance. Keep a propane torch handy to carefully heat it up if it offers the least bit of resistance to coming loose. They're a BITCH to remove if the hex socket strips!
I've seen that resetting the IDrive service notifications is confusing ... search for that one.
When its all done, break in your brake pads and discs .. .. now I'll let someone else edit or provide more details.

Boy do I wish I took that typing class in high school!!
Old 10-28-2008, 04:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

They will fit right out of the box , just like replacing the OEMs, Luigi is right about the rotors if they are worn replace them too . you can't turn them........Good Luck
Old 10-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='705746' date='Oct 28 2008, 04:37 PM
, there ya go again...

BTT: Axxis seems to be the recc'd brand for pads with low brake dust...I believe modbargains.com has the best price around for them as well..

http://www.modbargains.com/product.aspx?pf...Pads_BMW_E60_BL
Best Mod !! Gene get them and put your OEMs back on when you turn your car back ! You won't believe the performance and lack of dust!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='705871' date='Oct 28 2008, 08:15 PM
I'll bet you could have stuffed that post with a TAMPAX

Glad you saw it was a humorous poke. NOW, seriously, I've done a few of my own brake pad / disc R&R's in the past but not on my '07 530xi. Since I have full maintenance for 100K miles on this one I'll let BMW take care of it. But there are any number of good after-market pads out there.

It's always a trade off between pedal feel, brake pad effectiveness, noise, dust, disc wear, etc.
Don't fall for the racing ready pads - they work when they are HOT and most street driving won't get them near the temps that they will be effective.
BMW disc rotors don't take to cutting - it's been my experience that new pads = new brake discs!
Brake sensor replacement IMHO are a must.
Proper lube of brake slides and pins will help reduce noise - consider the use of a brake pad noise silencing material (spray or paint on) - there are several brands out there.
Proper torque of all parts - I don't have the specs but someone will post I'm sure.
It may be difficult to remove some parts if they have been on for some time and were not prepared when last reassembled.
Putting it all together use a proper anti-seize on the brake disc hold down screw and (THIS IS A BIG ONE) and apply a light grease coating to where the wheel mounts on the hub! That little hex screw is a killer ... I'd give it a good spray of WD40 a day or two in advance. Keep a propane torch handy to carefully heat it up if it offers the least bit of resistance to coming loose. They're a BITCH to remove if the hex socket strips!
I've seen that resetting the IDrive service notifications is confusing ... search for that one.
When its all done, break in your brake pads and discs .. .. now I'll let someone else edit or provide more details.

Boy do I wish I took that typing class in high school!!

Thanks thats a lot of good information

Quick Reply: Brake Shoes