DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Bad news from the dealer...could use some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black Sapphire 2004 5.30i

Took the car in today to have a sensor replaced via open campaign for free.

The tech guy called me and said I had the following issues with my car still...

1. Rear Upper Control Arms ? rubber cracking and causing extra movement in suspension that should not be there?? -- $1,100
2. Transmission pan, shifter sleeve is leaking some ? ?not big problem yet, but definitely needs to be watched and fixed down the road? -- $1,400
3. Valve cover gasket is leaking ? also ?not big problem YET? ?but more than just a little leakage so could potentially soon be an issue -- $900

Anyone knowledgeable enough to tell me how serious these things are? or if I could make these a DIY job?

$3400 is a lot of money for me right now and i'd rather roll up the sleeves and only spend on parts if i could.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Oh crap!

Ask them to show you the problem areas. Then go to another shop and ask what it would cost to fix them.
One way to find out are the screwing you about those prices on the dealer.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by slm6715' post='937517' date='Jul 9 2009, 03:14 PM
Took the car in today to have a sensor replaced via open campaign for free.

The tech guy called me and said I had the following issues with my car still...

1. Rear Upper Control Arms ? rubber cracking and causing extra movement in suspension that should not be there?? -- $1,100
2. Transmission pan, shifter sleeve is leaking some ? ?not big problem yet, but definitely needs to be watched and fixed down the road? -- $1,400
3. Valve cover gasket is leaking ? also ?not big problem YET? ?but more than just a little leakage so could potentially soon be an issue -- $900

Anyone knowledgeable enough to tell me how serious these things are? or if I could make these a DIY job?

$3400 is a lot of money for me right now and i'd rather roll up the sleeves and only spend on parts if i could.

Those parts are not too expensive. Roll up ur sleeve and DIY or find a shop that will do it cheap! U have a 2004 530i.

1. Rear Upper Control Arms ? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=33&fg=30. Looks like they call it the wishbone: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=33&fg=30 - $400 a piece. Now I;m not sure if u can replace a seal on the thing. Maybe u can but if it's the one integrated into the control arm, then u'll need a new one.
2. Transmission pan, shifter sleeve is leaking some ? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=24&fg=15 U'll need a new gasket and o-ring (total $40)if those are messed up. If you need the oil pan, its $325) Or it may have to do with these seals: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=24&fg=15. After u replace those things, would be great to get a tranny fluid change for about $100 to $150
3. Valve cover gasket is leaking ? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=11&fg=15 - Looks like u need #16 for the gaskets - $50. or if u wanna be cheap which I do not reccommend, use the gasket making silicone and fill it up. I had to do it one-time because I changed my valve cover on my Evo and accidentally crushed the valve cover gasket. Pulled over the the road and saw oil everywher ein the engine. That can be used temporarily if it's spitting oil in the engine. Most likely, u domnt even have to touch it. $900 for this??? Tell them to shove it up their @$$

Best of luck to you my friend
Old 07-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ***SOLD*** 2006 530xi Sapphire Metallic Black with Auburn Dakota Leather Sport Seats, Dark Poplar Wood Trim,Cold, Premium,Premium Sound,Sport Package Steptronic,Active Cruise Control Comfort access, Comfort Seats, Front and Rear Heated seats Adaptive Headlights, Idrive, Navigation, Bluetooth, Sirius Radio, Ipod Interface ACS roof, ACS trunk spoiler, front ACS bumper spoiler with carbon fiber lip and carbon pillars. 20% tints all around. 19' Bremmer rims.

Call the parts dept. and call another dealership to see what they charge for purchase, install as well as an opinion of these faulty items. I did that last week when my car was at bmw b/c they said other things were wrong with my car other than a leaking sunroof. They quoted me a crazy price. I called the parts dept at the same dealership and was quoted with labor alot lower price. I then called another local BMW and was told me an even lower price. Only to find out after i brought it to an independant bmw shop (owned by someone who worked at bmw for 10 plus yrs) to have the work done that i didnt need a thermostat or a steering angel sensor.

If you can do your homework first b/c alot of these dealerships expect the clients to say ok do what you need to do b/c they know they have you by the _______ and that you want your car back.

Good Luck!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

If you live in SoCal, get the parts and I can come over and help with the install. Valve Cover gasket is cheap, no way you spend $900 on that. Shifter sleeve? See Valve cover reference. The only difficult job is the wishbones, and those are not THAT hard. figure 6-8 hrs and done for probably about $1K
Old 07-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mach5 05' 530i Black Sapphire Metallic w/Auburn Leather Seats, Heated Front/Rear Seats, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Pkg, Sports Pkg, Xenon Headlights, NAV, Mud Flaps, 20" 166 Style Rims
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N54

STOP calling them dealerships STEALERSHIPS
Old 07-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tprenaldo' post='937586' date='Jul 9 2009, 01:24 PM
STOP calling them dealerships STEALERSHIPS
Or Rapists, thieves, liars, chiselers, pick an adjective they all work.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

I had the tranny sleeve replaced in my 2005 530i after 50000 miles. It was about $1100. I have the extended warranty thus everything was covered. Not sure about this tranny sleeve is DIY. BMW TIS states that tranny will have to be dropped to replace this plastic sleeve. Not sure about the other 2 items. You should call other dealers and independent garages to get a better deal.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

owning a dealership is better than stealing.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='937676' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:15 PM
owning a dealership is better than stealing.

Yes, but I am sure you get more satisfaction in a days "work" from stealing than being a dealer.

Quick Reply: Bad news from the dealer...could use some help