DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Anyone interested in an N62 Secondary Air Hose DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i - GONE
Default Anyone interested in an N62 Secondary Air Hose DIY?

BMW part: 1913968

I tackled this job over the weekend, but didnt have anyone nearby to document what had to be done. This hose splits into two ends, which go to both sides of the engine, right underneath the intake manifold. Sometimes this hose will crack, and you'll get a vacuum leak.

Job does not require removing fan, or anything related to coolant. I did have to remove the factory strut bar, cabin boxes, intake, put hood in service mode, and climbed all over the engine. If you've ever changed the spark plugs on an N62, then you can definitely handle this job.

If anyone local needs this done, I can help and you can document what needs to removed and put back together.

Catch me around San Jose, CA.

I should clarify, I had a mechanic replace most seals, gaskets, valley pan+gasket, spark plug tubes, all other crap you should normally do before this. I ordered the secondary vacuum hose after the mechanic did all the work, sorry!

-- ck

Last edited by ck-e60; 01-29-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Now that I have an N62, yes a DIY would be fantastic.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:07 PM
RTR
Members

So you did it without taking off the intake manifold? Just sliding it under?

When yours was bad, did you get any hissing/jet noises from the air escaping?
Old 01-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by RTR
So you did it without taking off the intake manifold? Just sliding it under?

When yours was bad, did you get any hissing/jet noises from the air escaping?
I didnt remove the intake manifold completely out of the engine. First, I dont know how anyone has managed to remove the entire wiring harness, there are two sensors that feed around and behind the alternator, other two go to the vanos and something underneath the brake vacuum pump. Trick to his, unplug as much as you can, and shift the wiring harness side to side as you remove the fuel injectors. I took off all 10 nuts to the intake manifold, lifted it up and shifted it forward; you can then remove the entire intake manifold, but I didnt because of the stubborn connector behind it. Unclipped the two hoses from the rear and fed them through the front.

Going back for installation, make sure you go over one of the smaller coolant lines, and make sure the intake manifold doesnt sit on this line when you place it back on. It'd be best to connect the two ends into the valves before you connect the main end in the front of the engine. This is because its harder to clip in (mines at least) if you connected the front end first. It'd be a good idea to tape everything off and label them.

I did not hear a hissing noise from the hoses, figured I'd replace them since this is a common issue. On top of that, my car is running lean, there's got to be a vacuum leak somewhere.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Senior Members

Here are some pictures.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

I dont think it is a good idea to remove or un-seat the intake manifold and then NOT replace the seals. My advice is if the intake manifold seals are disturbed in any way, then they should be replaced.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:20 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

^ +1.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

I am thinking of removing the intake and replacing the coolant pipe under the valley pan but wondering how involving it is to remove intake. What are the other parts to replace once it is off except the gaskets and vacuum tube. I gonna to do the valve cover gaskets at the same time.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

changing the head gasket,,,,,,,that is defitnatly good advice..Shoulda changed the cooling pipe while u were in there..
Old 01-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DavidF
I dont think it is a good idea to remove or un-seat the intake manifold and then NOT replace the seals. My advice is if the intake manifold seals are disturbed in any way, then they should be replaced.
These were actually replaced before I tackled this job.

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in an N62 Secondary Air Hose DIY?