DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Angel Eyes - DIY installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530i Sport Pkg Black Sapphire Metallic/Gray Leather

Hey guys:

My right parking light (AE) went out and I've been enduring that little icon for weeks now...so I have ordered new AE bulbs: Umnitz, ICE VXX (I hope they are less "yellow" than the standard bulb) plug 'n play - I didn't want to mess with a conversion kit.
http://www.umnitza.com/umnitza-ice-v...wl-p-6041.html

Now the problem is HOW to get at them? I recently swapped my fog lights, and found an instructional video somebody posted on this board that was EXTREMELY helpful

To replace the AE's, I believe that I must remove the entire headlight assembly. This will involve removing 4 bolts. The 2 on top are no problem (T30 Torx) but there are 2 bolts on the bottom that look like they will require a 10-12" screwdriver just to get down in there in that tight space. I can only find a regular torx screwdriver that is too short, and the handle is obstructed by other parts....

Anyway, does anyone have any tips, photos, videos on how to change the AE's? If I need to purchase a long neck Torx screwdriver, so be it, but would that also be a T30 size and where can I find one?

Thanks-
Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

You're on a right path about it.

You will need a long tool to reach the 2 bolts down there. Unfortunately I can't confirm the size, but maybe you could buy a cheap set from a local hardware store which includes different size and different tips. You may also want to open couple of those bolts that hold the upper edge of the front bumper in place. These bolts can be found under the rubber strip. Pulling out the bumper corner will help you to get the headlight out easier.

- Antti -
Old 02-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Members

My Ride: Black 2006 530i Premium Package, Navigation, 18in OEM Wheels, Black Leather, Wood Grain Dash

I recently did this. the T30 for the top bolts, and T25 or T20 should do it for the lower two. you will definetly need the long screwdiver. Lowes has sets. I purchased a good one for about 14.99.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
Members

My Ride: Black 2006 530i Premium Package, Navigation, 18in OEM Wheels, Black Leather, Wood Grain Dash

in the DIY section there is a thread called AE swapping....there are links to other instructions as well. Hope it helps.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i e60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: v8

here is a link to the videos
http://e60.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454001
make sure you scroll down the page
"your welcome" (in my kobe bryant voice)
Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 PM
New Members

Hi Just replaced my front left side light on my 525D it is a 2007 LCI model with a single sidelight located in the inner headlamp underneath the High Beam lamp mine has Halogen lamps not HID Zenon. To do the job you do need to remove the Light Assembly completely. You need a T30 Torx for the top two bolts and a T20 Torx for the two lower mounting bolts. To access the lower inside bolt you need to remove the headlight access cover then you can get the screwdriver in. Only loosen the lower bolts as it a 'fork' fitting on the headlight assy. When the bolts are removed you can jiggle the headlamp assembly away from the bodywork, take care and be patient when doing this. There is an electrical socket which needs disconnecting, squeeze the sides of the plug to open the catches and it will come away without too much problem. Remove the Main Beam lamp and you will see a brown coloured lamp holder, its awkward to get at! twist anticlockwise to remove, you have to replace the complete item £23 and some odd pence! the 12v 10w halogen lamp is a bayonet fit BUT can't be removed without doing some reverse engineering !! Anyway after getting the new sidelight assy. I fitted it in about 30mins including the time to remove the headlamp assembly and replace it. BMW quoted £67.30 for the labour adding on the £23 or so for the lamp and its over £90. Worth having a go at doing it yourself.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530i Sport Pkg Black Sapphire Metallic/Gray Leather

Thank you, gentlemen!

Your posts, suggestions have been VERY helpful. The size of the torx screwdriver is great info (I did not realize that the top 2 screws were a different size than the bottom 2).

I MAY try to get into that tight space with just my hands...my hands are not large at all, so this may be possible. The videos were a great help, seeing how that Asian guy took out the bulb and then got to the AE bulbs.

Anyway, I'll report back. Also, next week I am having the MTech front bumper and side skirts installed - along with my new AE's and fog lights....photos to come soon.

Oh - and thanks to whoever for moving this discussion to the more appropriate DIY section (I'm just a newbie, still learning!)

Cheers.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some E60's may have more space so it could be different for you, however I have never taken out the headlights to replace AE bulbs. My hands are rather small so guess that helps. Good luck either way.