DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Amp and Subwoofer install

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 04:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i 6mt, Titanium Silver, Sport Package, Winter Package

My computer internet is horrible so keep that in mind. I searched and its a slow tedious process.
Ok guys. So I'm new to BMW and the 5 series but i have owned other cars and have done systems in the past. So heres my problem. First off I have a 2004 545i with the 7logic system. I tried reading through the forum and now I am confused.

1. I know there is a sub-woofer installed underneath the passenger seat. Is there one underneath the driver seat or anywhere else in the car?

2. I want to install a 1000w amp with speaker level inputs and use it in the trunk. When i looked i noticed the previous owner installed a system and cut the wires out. So im going to try to describe what they left. My car has in the trunk on the driverside the stock amp and all the speaker wires. What the previous owner did was install a converter that converts speaker signal to RCA signal by splicing the converter into the speaker wire harness. So basically they have 2 rca outputs.
.... So this is where it gets fishy. I would like to use speaker level inputs instead of the rca so i installed the amp + sub and connected the speaker level inputs into the same wires that the converter box used assuming that these are the wires for the rear speakers.
It works but the subwoofer is not loud at all it barely bumps.

The next step I was going to take was to try the existing RCA outputs and connect the amp that way and hope the sub bumps. I didnt initially use the RCA's because im not sure where to connect the remote wire to. where can I connect the remote.

I guess i could figure this out if a knew about the stock system better. Are the wires going into the amp good to use for speaker level inputs because the converted box is spliced into them.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:21 AM
Members

I guess im having a hard time understanding how the stock system works. In a nutshell can someone explain?
Old 11-18-2009, 06:37 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Read http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=47747 as a start
Old 11-19-2009, 06:08 AM
Members

Thanks I figured it out yesterday. The wires the converter was using were to the rear speakers which have no bass. I connected my speaker level inputs to the mid/subs that are underneath the seats. looking at a diagram i found on the forum i was able to figure this out. Thanks. The only thing i have to figure is how to uninsulate my trunk and figure out why my driver side sub under the seat isnt working. btw it wasnt working before i did the install but the wires are sending the signal maybe the sub is blown.

Anyway there are 3 "boxes" in the below photo can you guys point them out to me. I know one is the amp but mine is about 12 inches long as apposed to the 4 inch in the picture. Im asking this because i saw somewhere that the box attached to the left is the satellite radio and i do not have that however that box is there. please clarify.
5.jpg
Old 11-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

You must have logic 7 is you have the big amp
Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Bimmerchop69' post='1058292' date='Nov 19 2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks I figured it out yesterday. The wires the converter was using were to the rear speakers which have no bass. I connected my speaker level inputs to the mid/subs that are underneath the seats. looking at a diagram i found on the forum i was able to figure this out. Thanks. The only thing i have to figure is how to uninsulate my trunk and figure out why my driver side sub under the seat isnt working. btw it wasnt working before i did the install but the wires are sending the signal maybe the sub is blown.

Anyway there are 3 "boxes" in the below photo can you guys point them out to me. I know one is the amp but mine is about 12 inches long as apposed to the 4 inch in the picture. Im asking this because i saw somewhere that the box attached to the left is the satellite radio and i do not have that however that box is there. please clarify.

In that pic, the little amp mounted to the wheel well bracket is the midrange/woofer amp that goes under your seats. The unit far to the left hidden behind a bracket......have no idea. The larger box to the right is the TCU BMW Assist/Bluetooth Module The wires to tap into on the little amp I believe would be the purple wires (line level) that go into the existing amp. You said you didnt want to use RCA so you would tap into the purple wires and feed them to your Hi-Level input on your amp. If you want to use the speaker wires that are coming out of the amp this is fine too. Now if you have a larger amp, that is most likely the Logic7 amp and the wiring is a bit different. It's available on the forum though. Lucky you don't have the problem i'm having. I dont have any signals going into the amp or coming out although i do have power.

Ideas guys? https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...p;#entry1061222

If you want a remote wire its the thin white wire on that harness next to the thicker red wire (12v +)
Old 11-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by refaie1' post='1061304' date='Nov 23 2009, 11:12 PM
In that pic, the little amp mounted to the wheel well bracket is the midrange/woofer amp that goes under your seats. The unit far to the left hidden behind a bracket......have no idea. The larger box to the right is the TCU BMW Assist/Bluetooth Module The wires to tap into on the little amp I believe would be the purple wires (line level) that go into the existing amp. You said you didnt want to use RCA so you would tap into the purple wires and feed them to your Hi-Level input on your amp. If you want to use the speaker wires that are coming out of the amp this is fine too. Now if you have a larger amp, that is most likely the Logic7 amp and the wiring is a bit different. It's available on the forum though. Lucky you don't have the problem i'm having. I dont have any signals going into the amp or coming out although i do have power.

If you want a remote wire its the thin white wire on that harness next to the thicker red wire (12v +)

Thanks for the help. My speaker level inputs turn on and off the amp. Since the one box was for bluetooth i'm guessing I have it since i have the box but my idrive system doesnt say anything about bluetooth. im going to take the panels out later and try to get part numbers on everything so i can find out exactly what I have.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by refaie1' post='1061304' date='Nov 23 2009, 11:12 PM

have you checked if your getting any signal from the fiber optic cable? if you unplug it from the amp and look at it it should be blinking red.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmerchop69' post='1061542' date='Nov 24 2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the help. My speaker level inputs turn on and off the amp. Since the one box was for bluetooth i'm guessing I have it since i have the box but my idrive system doesnt say anything about bluetooth. im going to take the panels out later and try to get part numbers on everything so i can find out exactly what I have.
Chances are that you don't have bluetooth. I have the same and it's bluetooth and states it on there but it's for BMW assist not bluetooth as we know it. You need a later model for that. Symbol doesn't mean anything.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmerchop69' post='1061545' date='Nov 24 2009, 10:11 AM
have you checked if your getting any signal from the fiber optic cable? if you unplug it from the amp and look at it it should be blinking red.
I personally don't have fiber optic. He stated he has Logic7 so perhaps he does. But I think he's question is, what are the boxes in the pic..........