DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Airbag Warning Sticker Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I removed those ugly warning stickers from my sun visors, using the instructions below that Wolverine posted on another board.

Very easy, just need to be patient and not apply too much acetone at a time. You can?t tell the stickers were ever there, except on the first one I did, I ended up slightly scratching the surface on one area, because my exacto knife blade was brand new and it was so sharp that just trying to peel the sticker off caused a slight bit of damage?nothing that anybody would really notice. Use the unsharpened edge of the blade to peel up the sticker.

Supplies: torx screwdriver, a pencil type exacto knife with a fine-tip blade, magnifying (reading) glasses, pure acetone, an old toothbrush, and a shot glass.

Remove the visors, unsnap the cover over the pivot arm screw, and use a torx bit to remove the screw. Unsnap the electrical connector, and remove the visor from the car.

Set the visor up on a table, label up, with newspaper underneath in case you spill the acetone. Use surgical latex gloves to protect the skin. Pour a bit of the acetone into a small glass (I used a shot glass).

Put on glasses (eye protection, and the reading glasses help). Dip the end of the toothbrush into the acetone, and position the tip of the knife under the corner of the label. Touch the end of the toothbrush to the label corner where the knife is, and gently slide the knife under the label.

The key thing here is patience, and don't use too much acetone. You just need a tiny bit on the toothbrush, and it will soak through the label. Gently slide the knife under the label as it frees up, and continue the process until you have separated a large piece of the label from the visor. Just pull the excess off, and repeat the process at another corner. Eventually, you'll have removed the entire label.

The alcantara will be puckered a bit because its wet, it will smooth out when it dries. You'll still see an imprint of where the label was. I took the toothbrush with a little acetone, and GENTLY brushed the edges of the imprint. I repeated this brushing technique to eliminate any remaining traces of the label. Just be patient, don't use too much acetone, or brush too hard, and be careful not to splash any in the eyes.