DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

add subwoofer on E60 models without amp in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E60Rules
I hope this make things clear to you
From where do you get the remote power for the amplifier?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by C_o_s_m_i_n
From where do you get the remote power for the amplifier?
The 545i had a ignition switched lighter connection in de back, but I'm not sure every model had that thing
Old 08-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Members

Ignition is not enough. The iDrive could be ON even without the ignition to be turned on.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Proper remote-on comes from the back of the headunit.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Members

Thanks! I didn't know that.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

hi guys i have the system in my E60 that doesn't have a amp in the boot

i have fitted my subs in my car and amp i used a line converter speaker wire to Rca from the right rear shelf speaker

the bass is bumping but doesnt sound strong i have fitted a port in the centre armest section to allow sound in to car

when volume is low the sub doesnt pump sometimes when you turn the volume up it kicks in

i feel the bass is not great i have a feeling its to do with the rca connection from the rear right shelf speaker

i have used this rca converter link for rca conveter used

those of you who used the sub wires under the seats have you just soldered a rca connector to the wire and fitted it to the amp

or

have you used a loc to fit it to the amp?

my subs are 15" x 2 Kicker XPL 300 Rms each

3000 watt theLoudest amp which will give 250 Rms to each sub as a 2ohm setup 500 Rms total

thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BallyM5

i have fitted my subs in my car and amp i used a line converter speaker wire to Rca from the right rear shelf speaker

the bass is bumping but doesnt sound strong i have fitted a port in the centre armest section to allow sound in to car

when volume is low the sub doesnt pump sometimes when you turn the volume up it kicks in
Hello BallyM5, I didn't receive a message on your post, so I just at this moment read your post.
Read my full article, and you'll find out that the rear shelf speaker doesn't contain full bas signal, but is filtered out, that's where your lack of bass is coming frome
Old 09-27-2012, 04:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530D M-Sport, Steptronic, Grey Metallic, Retrofits: Sport Comfort Black Leather, M-Sport Alu Cube Dash Trim, Shadow Line Trim, CCC Pro Nav, Full M5 Conversion, M5 Mirrors, Quad M5, 20" M5 Gloss Black wheels, AC High Panel, Internal Boot Release, Mods: Xenons, Carbon Fibre Roof, Dension 500, Drilled & Grooved Discs,

Originally Posted by E60Rules
Hello BallyM5, I didn't receive a message on your post, so I just at this moment read your post.
Read my full article, and you'll find out that the rear shelf speaker doesn't contain full bas signal, but is filtered out, that's where your lack of bass is coming frome
Thanks for your reply buddy just to clarify isit better to disconnect the small under seats subs or if left connected will i have interference in the sub line too?

Have you disconnected your subs? If so is the audio much better now with out any interference?

Also what did you use to conmect that wire from under the seat sub to amp did you use a Loc rac converter or just soldered a rca wire without loc = line out converter

Thanks

Last question to others have you had any interference if you left the underseat subs connected and have taken a feed from them for amp bass
Old 09-27-2012, 05:19 AM
Members

Thanks for your reply buddy just to clarify isit better to disconnect the small under seats subs or if left connected will i have interference in the sub line too?

Have you disconnected your subs? If so is the audio much better now with out any interference?

Also what did you use to conmect that wire from under the seat sub to amp did you use a Loc rac converter or just soldered a rca wire without loc = line out converter

Thanks

Last question to others have you had any interference if you left the underseat subs connected and have taken a feed from them for amp bass
Hi

I did not disconnect original subs, because when driving without subwoofer (trunk loaded with stuff) I still want a bit of sound.
If you follow my instructions in my first outline you can read I write about carefully finetuning the whole system e.g. put volume to the max without disortion is heart from the front-mini-subs, and on that level finetune your subwoofer, so factory subs never will reach disortion level.
But you're right, IF front subs cause disortion, signal in the line will be disorted, and worse, disortion can be amped by your subwoofer.
Best solution maybe is disconnecting factory subs, but I didn't (also factory-subs produce some midbass which you don't want to miss, so also a reasing for not disconnecting them)

If tuned well there will be no (hearable) disortion/interference

Good Luck !
Old 09-27-2012, 05:22 AM
Members

have you used a loc to fit it to the amp?

my subs are 15" x 2 Kicker XPL 300 Rms each
And I forgot to answer on your LOC question, if you read my article carefully you'll read I don't use a seperate LOC, but (like most subs) a MTX subwoofer with builtin LOC (e.g. with both a line level + speaker level input)

Nice 2 Kicker XPL's, will be bassfull ride

Quick Reply: add subwoofer on E60 models without amp in trunk