DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

2006 E60 OIL FILTER CHANGE

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I will call myself a numpty up front to reduce the flippant reponses

I have purchased my oil to get my local guy to do the change for me and took loads of advice from the forum first. However, I never saw it mentioned about the oil filter. My very average mechanical knowledge says "you change the oil, you change the filter". Is that correct?

How easy is it to get to the oil filter, remove it and change it (where is the blinking thing anyway)?

Help appreciated.

Will write out 100 times "Steve must try harder"
Old 01-17-2010, 01:09 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by spelham' post='1092233' date='Jan 17 2010, 09:08 AM
My very average mechanical knowledge says "you change the oil, you change the filter". Is that correct?

Absolutely correct, otherwise it's like trying to clean your teeth with a dirty toothbrush.

I'll leave the more knowledgeable to deal with the technicalities.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by spelham' post='1092233' date='Jan 17 2010, 03:08 AM
Hi Guys,

I will call myself a numpty up front to reduce the flippant reponses

I have purchased my oil to get my local guy to do the change for me and took loads of advice from the forum first. However, I never saw it mentioned about the oil filter. My very average mechanical knowledge says "you change the oil, you change the filter". Is that correct?

How easy is it to get to the oil filter, remove it and change it (where is the blinking thing anyway)?

Help appreciated.

Will write out 100 times "Steve must try harder"
Correct. Always change your filter every time you change your oil. Getting to the filter is super easy. Not sure what blinking thing you are talking about.
Changing on my car was pretty easy. first you drain the oil from the bottom. Make sure the car is not fully warmed but warm enough that the oil will leak out pretty quickly. Next jack up the car so that it is pretty level to the ground. Look towards the middle right behind the wheels in the front for the drain. The filter should be located on the top depending on the car. I have a 04 530i so my filter is on the top. The I6 is on top and the V8 is on the bottom. With the V8 you must loose the smaller bolt first so that all oil can be drained then loose the bigger one to remove the filter. For the I6 take the socket, not sure exactly what size, and loose the bolt. But before taking it out make sure you have a towel wrapped around the area so that there is no spillage. replace the filter with the new rubber seal! Then fill back the oil from the engine where is says oil.
This video will show you how to reset the oil milage once done.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by 1SIKBMR' post='1092252' date='Jan 17 2010, 06:09 AM
Correct. Always change your filter every time you change your oil. Getting to the filter is super easy. Not sure what blinking thing you are talking about.
Changing on my car was pretty easy. first you drain the oil from the bottom. Make sure the car is not fully warmed but warm enough that the oil will leak out pretty quickly. Next jack up the car so that it is pretty level to the ground. Look towards the middle right behind the wheels in the front for the drain. The filter should be located on the top depending on the car. I have a 04 530i so my filter is on the top. The I6 is on top and the V8 is on the bottom. With the V8 you must loose the smaller bolt first so that all oil can be drained then loose the bigger one to remove the filter. For the I6 take the socket, not sure exactly what size, and loose the bolt. But before taking it out make sure you have a towel wrapped around the area so that there is no spillage. replace the filter with the new rubber seal! Then fill back the oil from the engine where is says oil.
This video will show you how to reset the oil milage once done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZHeDh_hXLo

Thanks Guys.

BTW: "THE BLINKING THING". It isn't anything actually blinking, it is a quaint old English way of replacing a possible profanity and is meant to make the reader smile. I just meant I didn't know where it was. Sorry if I have confused, I now have visions of the worlds BMW owners looking for something blinking under the hood.

DON'T DO IT, YOU WILL BE THERE A LONG TIME
Old 01-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

Make sure that you buy a quality filter. I called my local BMW house and they said a BMW brand oil filter is about $20. You can also find a K&N filter for around the same price at an auto parts store (all the local stores here said they had to order it)
Old 01-19-2010, 12:28 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by spelham' post='1092830' date='Jan 18 2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks Guys.

BTW: "THE BLINKING THING". It isn't anything actually blinking, it is a quaint old English way of replacing a possible profanity and is meant to make the reader smile. I just meant I didn't know where it was. Sorry if I have confused, I now have visions of the worlds BMW owners looking for something blinking under the hood.

Two nations, split by a common language!!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Members

You can get the OEM oil filter for 11 bucks at bavauto.com. You can also buy full synthetic oil from them for like 7 bucks a quart.

I just got mine done. 7 quarts of oil + filter for $70 bucks shipped. $20 bucks for my local mechanic. So $90 dollars total for an oil change. A LOT cheaper than what the dealership wanted.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by spelham' post='1092830' date='Jan 18 2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks Guys.

lol didn't know that. I guess u learn something new everyday