DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

2004 530d e60 service interval discrepancy b/w idrive and dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi
just had my 2004 530d e60 serviced. Took it to a reputable garage and watched while they changed the oil and inspected the car. The oil they used was the bmw recommended castrol whci i cant remember exactly which one but i think it was 5w-30 castrol edge?? but I double checked and it was the correct one anyway.
The garage reset the service indicator via the dashboard method (as opposed to using some special tool)
Everything seemed fine until i decided to check the service interval.
Dashboard displayed 11000 but idrive dispayes 19000 miles.
Why is this?
(they both dispayed the same figure before i had it serviced)
Hope someone can shed some light on this matter
Many thanks in advance
Old 09-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Check service items list, when you first turn on the ignition it shows the item that has the lowest miles left.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BLooD
Check service items list, when you first turn on the ignition it shows the item that has the lowest miles left.
Thanks for that. That's what I thought it may be but initially I assumed all services will include oil change but not if only brakes needed doing for example.
Which brings Mr to the next point .
There is one more question which may need a separate post but the garage said my brake pads and discs need replacing (discs have a lip on each one) and brake fluid is very low. None of these have any warning lights on the dash board and the idrive states I still have something like 12000 miles before pads need renewing and a year before brake fluid needs attention but anyone can reset the idrive (which is what probably has happened because I have only had car for 3 months). Looking at the service history it could well be possible it is time for take change but why no dash warning lights? Could this garage be exaggerating about my brakes? They feel and work brilliant.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 09-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Members

After watching watchdog the other night about kwik fit overcharging and saying work needs doing that doesn't especially about brakes without even taking the wheels off which apparently needs to be done in order to make a proper asessment, I'm not too concerned because this place I went to did not take off my wheels and I know one can check brakes by looking through the space between spokes in the alloys but I'm sure that garage was trying to get money out of me. DON'T GO TO 'IN & OUT' (i only went there because they could do it on the same day and for 15 quid extra they put my new air filter in which I couldn't do because on the 530d e60 its in a difficult position and I failed on my attempt right on the last stepvbecause I did not have a flexible screwdriver! And you can stand in their waiting lounge watching them sweat over your car)