DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

'06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mag75' post='769428' date='Jan 16 2009, 12:44 PM
Nice write up....

I also did this swap over the course of the last month. I never connected the green wire to the grey wire so my AE's werent working, but I recently did this and they work fine (I was actually stuck on this step and started a thread)

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=68642&hl=

I am a little confused about the highbeam directions. My xenon highbeams dont work (this is not a huge deal) but I dont understand your directions. When I cut the green wire, I then spliced it to the grey wire...the other "half" isnt going anywhere, not sure how you would connect this to the white wire.....any help ?

By the way, I connected these two wires at the wiring harness, and not within the headlight itself.
inside the xenon assembly, the green wire is going to the motor that controls ur highbeam shutter, so if u dont cut it, ur high beams will be on the whole time. Thats y u have to cut it and and attach the end going to the motor to ur high beam feed wire (white wire) ,and attach the other end coming from the harness to ur angel eye wire (gray wire) ,if u dont do this you will get an error message.

Its the same if ur doing this from the wiring harness but im not sure if the colors are the same.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MikeeMac' post='769316' date='Jan 16 2009, 09:04 AM
Hi guys.. i've got a bit of a job on my hands.. i'm trying to fix the lights on a e60 530d.. it originally had standard hallogen lights, and the guy who had it before, tried to fit xenons to it..

Basically, when you turn the switch "once" to turn on the side lights, the full dip beam comes on with the angel eye rings all together.. so the wiring has been done wrong somewhere.. so i will investigate the wireing and make sure it is wired as you explained above.. BUT, there is a more serious issue.. both beams are just facing straight down on the ground in front of the car.. they don't lift up to light the road ahead.. they are just pointing straight down, and i can't find any kind of adjustment that moves them up enough to see the road in front..
Is this a wiring issue? or is there some way to adjust the lamp to come all the way up from the ground.. they seriously just make two spots on the ground.. about 5 feet away from the vehicle.. i'll try and remember to take a picture in the dark, and i'll post it on here..

Thanks in Advance for any help on this issue..

Mike
sounds like he spliced either the green or gray wire the yellow wire going to ur ballasts.

about ur lights pointing to the ground, u just have to reach in and manually spin the motor thats closest to the outside cover. i had the same problem (not the motor attached to ur projectors)
Old 01-22-2009, 11:27 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530ix / E60
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by mtrinh1' post='775091' date='Jan 23 2009, 05:35 AM
u don't need resistors, your car is giving the error message cause the xenon light assembly has only 1 angel eye bulb thus only 1 wire, stock halogen assemblies has 2, just cut the green wire in half (in the light assembly) and attach the end coming from the socket (ur car) to the gray wire. (so pretty much ur putting both angel eye wires to that one bulb)

so ur pretty much have ur highbeams on the whole time if u dont cut this green wire.

do steps 1 and 2 and the message will go away. ( i had that problem too)

ill send pictures if ur still not sure.
Thanks your reply.

If you have pictures ? please send them to me
Old 01-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Milko75' post='775235' date='Jan 23 2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks your reply.

If you have pictures ? please send them to me
post the pic here
Old 01-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Greenberg' post='775247' date='Jan 23 2009, 09:04 AM
post the pic here
anybody out there now anyone competent to do all this for me in the UK, ive got the lamps but dont know who to take it to, i'm hopeless myself and dont really have time or confidence to tackle it myself
Old 01-26-2009, 01:32 AM
Members

Thanks for all your help guys..

I'm gunna get out there and look at the car today.. we've had some stupid bad weather for past few days.. and i don't have a garage to use, so i'll keep you updated on my progress..

Cheers.

Mike
Old 01-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Greenberg' post='775247' date='Jan 23 2009, 04:04 AM
post the pic here
tried to take some pictures but keep turning out blurry, hope u can see it..
if u look on the left side, u can see the green wire going to the highbeam shutters connected to the white wire,
and in the middle u can see the green wire coming from the wiring harness connected to the gray wire
Old 01-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Greenberg' post='775247' date='Jan 23 2009, 04:04 AM
post the pic here
tried to take some pictures but keep turning out blurry, hope u can see it..
if u look on the left side, u can see the green wire going to the highbeam shutters connected to the white wire,
and in the middle u can see the green wire coming from the wiring harness connected to the gray wire
Attached Thumbnails '06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap-cimg3941.jpg   '06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap-cimg3942.jpg  
Old 01-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530ix / E60
Model Year: 2007

Thanks from pics and reply.

I have already done this wiring exact like you have. But still SOMETIMES the car give error messages from parking lights. Usually error messages will come when I?m stay in traffic lights. When car speed is faster ? error messages disappear. For example I have 15 kilometer work trip and error messages will come about three/four times. I think all wiring is welldone and 90% error messages will come from left side..

Is there anything way to correct this problem or must I live with this?
Old 01-29-2009, 12:09 AM
Senior Members

Mine works without parking light error. I occasionally get dipped beam failure left even though it is still works but I think this is only because of a bad earth on the xenon ballast. It only occurs once every few weeks max.

You shouldn't get parking light failure if you have spliced the green and grey wire together with a common earth?

Quick Reply: '06 e60 sucessful halogen to oem bi-xenon swap