Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Are you tired of BMW Brake dust? I might be on to something that could

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles

I own a 2004 e60 530i and I love most of it, all but the annoying brake dust on my rims right after a wash,. I have tried everything known to man, even emailing BMW NA support, and they even said that is the only complaints the get about BMW's, is brake dust, and wish there was something they could do to fix it and still brake effectly like these brake pads!

I have tried most everything, I thought i.e. from Dust Shields, to waxes, and other than the Frisbee type dust Shields nothing seemed to work good until last week when I visited a local BMW dealer and the parts manager showed me something new that repels the brake dust from your rim once applied for about 7 days. I thought to myself, right that sounds like a bunch of BS! But it only cost 3.99 that does 32 rims, and I bought it got home and tried it, to my surprise after about 200 miles and my rims are still clean looking with a very small even film of brake dust, and I would had not even know it was there until I ran my finger around my outer rim edge, and like I said it was so light! Amazing. SO now I am hooked on this new product I found named "Rim Ice" at Hank Aaron BMW near my home in Union City GA.

Hope this helps you like its helped me with the annoying BMW brake dust that gets on our clean rims.

Sincerely,

R. Eddie Presley
Old 04-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Send me some!!!!

Where else can we get it? I gotta find that stuff since you make it sound sooo good!

How long will it last? How often do you need to reapply it onto the rim? Only $4???
Old 04-01-2006, 07:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Presley348' post='263547' date='Apr 1 2006, 09:57 PM
I own a 2004 e60 530i and I love most of it, all but the annoying brake dust on my rims right after a wash,. I have tried everything know to man, even emailing BMW NA support, and they even said that is the only complaints the get about BMW's, is brake dust, and wish there was something they could do to fix it and still brake effectly like these brake pads!

I have tried most everything, I thought i.e. from Dust Shields, to waxes, and other than the Frisbee type dust Shields nothing seemed to work good until last week when I visited a local BMW dealer and the parts manager showed me something new that repels the brake dust from your rim once applied for about 7 days. I thought to myself, right that sounds like a bunch of BS! But it only cost 3.99 that does 32 rims, and I bought it got home and tried it, to my surprise after about 200 miles and my rims are still clean looking with a very small even film of brake dust, and I would had not even know it was there until I ran my finger around my outer rim edge, and like I said it was so light! Amazing. SO now I am hooked on this new product I found named "Rim Ice" at Hank Aaron BMW near my home in Union City GA.

Hope this helps you like its helped me with the annoying BMW brake dust that gets on our clean rims.
Sincerely,
R. Eddie Presley
Hey, thanks for the info. I'll look for it.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Contributors

based on your post, i just bought some right now at ebay. it came out to $5.99 for a 16 rim application bottle. will let you guys know soon if i have the same success. thanks!
Old 04-02-2006, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

This?

http://www.rim-ice.com/pages/1/index.htm

Have you tried just waxing your rims?
Old 04-02-2006, 05:53 AM
Members

My Ride: Nov.2005,545i Black Sapphire, Auburn interior,SMG,Sport Package,Rear spoiler,35% tinted windows,Sirrius Radio,Xenon lights,DINAN High Flow Intake,DINAN Thottle Body, DINAN Free Flow Exhaust,DINAN 19" wheels,DINAN flywheel,

Thak you for sharing info
we will try it
it is a commom problem
Old 04-02-2006, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Eddie, From your description of "7 days" of cleanliness, I'd have to speculate that this is the product our local chain of good car washes must be using in their "Wheel Deal" for an extra $2--beyond the full delux wash price. I have tried it a couple of times and alternated not getting it in between, and yes there is a dramatic difference in staying clean--for at least a week.

My last wash job (by hand) at the dealer, saw my wheels blacken and streak the next day. So, I'm going to ask one of the guys at the carwash if they know what goes ONTO the wheel after cleaning (not so much as what takes old dust away). Something is working.

I was about to break out that tub of wheel wax I bought from BavAuto and get to work on my summer rims, before having them mounted. But I wondered about all that effort, assuming that whatever harsh chemical they use to remove the dust would remove the wax too. We'll have to have "Sponge-Off" contest. I'll use the wax on one wheel and compare it to the carwash on the other.

One thing to be said "in favor" of the brake dust is that it does remove easilly, assuming that you keep after it.

Cheers and thanks for the headsup,
Ray Hull
Old 04-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Senior Members

i cant get the dust of my wheels now almost seems baked in , any ideas
Old 04-02-2006, 10:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='263648' date='Apr 2 2006, 08:14 AM
This?

http://www.rim-ice.com/pages/1/index.htm

Have you tried just waxing your rims?

================================================== ===================

Yes I have tried "The Wheel Wax" which is great rim wax, but does hardly anything for our BMW brake dust, then I tried Brake Dust Shields, you know the round Frisbee type disk the fits inside our rims, (but to me heat build up and can damage the rotor, etc, and takes away from our cool Bimmer looks)

Now this "RIM ICE" I purchased from my local BMW dealers for 3.99 is easy to apply to our rims, and indeed it does seem to work, and until BMW NA for us owners has dust free brake pads, I choose "RIM ICE" and I am go to stick with it,

In conclusion: I am not making no money or perks of my findings, but I thought I would share with the e60 forum what I found that work for me, at a cheap price $$$$ to purchase...(by the way you do have the correct link, that is what I am using now, and yes it does work!)

Eddie Presley
Old 04-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Eddie, if this does work you may have struck gold . I'll give this a try - appreciate you letting us know.

Quick Reply: Are you tired of BMW Brake dust? I might be on to something that could