Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Will I curb my wheels in a automated Carwash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 07:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

Will I be safe takign my car to a brushless car wash. Should I just measure out the wheel diameter? Anyone else with 530i sport wheels use a car wash, or do you handwash. It's 10 degrees out there now, so I am thinking i'll just keep the car dirty rather than scuff the wheel.

thanks

JK
Old 02-27-2006, 07:58 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

10 degress, that is positively balmy...........................oh, I guess you mean F not C

Seriously, use your hands, a pair of rubber washing up gloves will stop your fingers dropping off.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:58 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2006 530D MSport. Auto, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Visibility, Media Pack, Sun Protective Glass, Hi-Fi Speaker System, Heated Seats, Enhanced voice control, M Lip Spoiler.

I REALLY would not recommend it...Use a Jet wash carefully but a "roller type" car wash will not only have a high probability of damaging your wheels through the guides if you get it wrong! Not only that the brushes will make light scratching to the top coat (and you don't want that either). I personally wouldn't dream of taking a car through and would rather leave dirty..

PS 10 degrees is warm...! Get out there!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by jk479' post='246674' date='Feb 27 2006, 11:39 AM
Will I be safe takign my car to a brushless car wash. Should I just measure out the wheel diameter? Anyone else with 530i sport wheels use a car wash, or do you handwash. It's 10 degrees out there now, so I am thinking i'll just keep the car dirty rather than scuff the wheel.

thanks

JK
What? You want to take your baby through a commercial car wash? :thumbsdown:
If it is 10 celsius it is absolutely positively balmy. Time for some elbow grease.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jk479' post='246674' date='Feb 27 2006, 04:39 PM

thanks

JK
Lifes WAY to short to handwash a car.

Find a 'conveyor' car wash that way, as long as you don't kerb it on the way in U don't need to worry. I've used these plenty of times in my e46 coupe and am about to take my 530d for it's first bath (and I have 19inch rims).

oh .. and the brushless car washes don't work IMO.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

I take mine to a brushless carwash (one attached to a gas station) every so often just to get the salt and some of the dirt out. Yes it doesn't clean as well as a hand wash, but it's good enough for me for the winter.

Most gas station (Or similar) car washes don't have a guide rail for the wheels. They have a sensor that one of your wheels will "climb" to start the machine.

If you are taking it to one the conveyor type brushless washes, you may want to check the tire width to be safe it will fit in the wheel guide. Not sure what measuring the dia of the wheel will do to help.

By the way, please update your location in your profile so that everyone will know which part of this planet your car is located.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Should not be a problem. Make sure you go to a high quality car wash.

Having just spent $70K on a car, I loath the idea of taking my car through a carwash. However, as I get older, I'm starting to believe in what needforspeed said and yes, I will probably run my baby through a carwash in the near future. While I love washing the car on a summer day, this winter stuff sucks!
Old 02-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='246749' date='Feb 27 2006, 02:47 PM
Should not be a problem. Make sure you go to a high quality car wash.

Having just spent $70K on a car, I loath the idea of taking my car through a carwash. However, as I get older, I'm starting to believe in what needforspeed said and yes, I will probably run my baby through a carwash in the near future. While I love washing the car on a summer day, this winter stuff sucks!
Word. Just do it. I've been using automatic washes for years.

Here in NYC handwashing is tough....it may be illegal to dump dirty water along the sidewalk without a license, or you gotta find a friend who lives out in the suburbs.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

In Chicago there are lots of hand washes, where the guys use rags and do it all by hand. I wish they used microfiber instead of terry cloth, to minimize scratching. But it's too cold to do it myself in winter. It just means I'm dying for some warmer weekends so I give it a glaze with very mild abrasive to rub out some of the hairline scratching.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d (4/05) M Sport, Carbon black, Black dakota leather, Sport seats, Xenon, Navi prof, Hi-fi pack, AS, BT, PDC, Sunroof

I have had my wheels damaged on a roller-type carwash in London. They were lower profile, however, 205/40 rather than 245/40. I suggest you speak to the staff beforehand

Quick Reply: Will I curb my wheels in a automated Carwash?