Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Wheel chipped going through car wash.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 03:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Always hand washed it since I got it in April. Figured with the winter coming I'll eventually have to go to a car wash anyway. I have the staggard wheel sport package and the rear wheel, I guess, came in contact with the metal rails that guide the car and now I have a scratch.
1. Does BMW sell a wheel touch-up kit?
2. Anybody else have this problem and are there types of car washes that are wheel safe.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get the wheel protection plan?
Old 09-20-2004, 05:04 PM
Contributors

What wheel protection plan? Can I get this after I've purchased it? It was never mentioned to me.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:31 PM
Senior Members

When I bought mine the sales agent offered a five year tire and wheel protection plan that covers everything that might happen to them due to road conditions (Not sure if car wash is included), I bought it, it was a little over 200USD.

I also bought a three year windshield protection plan and I did get a cracked windshield and getting it replaced by the insurance company has been a pain but I've heard good feedback from some other people in this forum about the wheel and tire plan. Perhaps it varies from dealership to dealership.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:03 PM
Contributors

boy sorry to hear that..but guess what? I will go to thru car wash too. Winter is coming.
:bashwall:

I hope those car wash dont mistreat my baby...more bang on the wall :bashwall:
Old 09-20-2004, 06:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

This happened to me with my new 2001 325i when it was 2 weeks old. Typically, the purpose is malfunctioning equipment at the car-wash. It took me 6 weeks of a letter writing campaign against the car-wash, but I got the owner to buy me a new rim. I proved the exact spot the car was damaged and showed the owner the equipment was malfunctioning. The disclaimer on the car-wash ticket or board does not exclude the owners from negligence.

I threatened to expose this defect to a local newspaper and TV station who does consumer affair stuff. It worked for me. Good luck.

If you do need to go into a car-wash check the enterance ramp first. Typically there are two 2-1/4" diameter bars that start at an open "V" which guide your rims into alignment with the track. The week link of this system is the bars start below your rim and as they get closer to the track the bars start raising. With low profile tires, the rims actually start climbing on top of the bars. When the two "V" shaped bars transition to parallel bars, the welding between them is not at a quaility which prevents chipping. A good car-wash has a thick hard plastic covering these "V" shaped bars protecting low profile rims. If you have an aspect ration of 50+ on your tires you are typically ok. Take in mind the ratio also is a part of the width of the tires.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:48 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Sep 20 2004, 09:21 PM
If you do need to go into a car-wash
It ain't gonna happen unless I can use my own stuff and wash it myself. I'll do that on the road, but no way am I going to let some machine latch on to my baby and drag her through the muddle.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Sep 20 2004, 09:48 PM
[quote name='bmwin14rsm' date='Sep 20 2004, 09:21 PM'] If you do need to go into a car-wash
It ain't gonna happen unless I can use my own stuff and wash it myself. I'll do that on the road, but no way am I going to let some machine latch on to my baby and drag her through the muddle. [/quote]
This is what I do, I go to those self car wash places, I do one pass of high pressure water, one pass of high pressure soap, then I use the shampoo foam brush and go smoothly through the whole body, rinse and then I drive to the gas station laser wash. I go home and buff the wheels with the blue disposable towels.
It ends up being around 8 bucks but it works for me.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:52 PM
Contributors

I have to go to a self car wash. I spray the car, fill up a bucket and then wash with a chamois cloth.(doesn't hold dirt like a sponge) Rinse it off and dry with a larger chamois cloth. Costs ?3-4 Euros max
Old 09-20-2004, 09:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I use the self car wash too sometimes... I always check the brush there because sometimes theres sand in it.. brrrr

Quick Reply: Wheel chipped going through car wash.