Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

What waxes to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009 | 07:05 PM
Senior Members

Hey guys, im gonna be buying a bunch of stuff to maintain my car and I wanna know whats are the best products stuff to buy and what products I need. I Dont really know to much about waxes. What polishes, sealers, clay do i need and what are the steps? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everything is gonna be bought at a local auto parts store cause my friend works there so it would have to be like meguiars or something. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-21-2009 | 07:09 PM
Contributors

From: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by turbo_mustang12' post='949686' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:05 PM
Hey guys, im gonna be buying a bunch of stuff to maintain my car and I wanna know whats are the best products stuff to buy and what products I need. I Dont really know to much about waxes. What polishes, sealers, clay do i need and what are the steps? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Everything is gonna be bought at a local auto parts store cause my friend works there so it would have to be like meguiars or something. Thanks in advance.
Really, many of the more expensive waxes are just hype and marketing. I mean I wouldn't put $300 swissvax on my car if it's going to be gone after 2 months. The difference isn't huge with the waxes, the wax really doesn't bring shine to the paint, polishing is what brings wetness and shine to the paint. Wax will only brighten up the paint if you have a lot of swirl marks because then it acts as a filler. If you did the polishing right, you won't get any more shine from wax. So go with Meguirs Tech Wax 2.0 and Meguirs Clay bar, you can't go wrong with Meguiars products.

EDIT: For the polishing and you want to spend some money, use Meguiars 205 compound for really bad swirls and 105 polish for less extreme swirls.
Old 07-21-2009 | 07:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

What he's trying to say OP, is that even candle wax or Bee's Wax will work.

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='949701' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:09 PM
Really, many of the more expensive waxes are just hype and marketing. I mean I wouldn't put $300 swissvax on my car if it's going to be gone after 2 months. The difference isn't huge with the waxes, the wax really doesn't bring shine to the paint, polishing is what brings wetness and shine to the paint. Wax will only brighten up the paint if you have a lot of swirl marks because then it acts as a filler. If you did the polishing right, you won't get any more shine from wax. So go with Meguirs Tech Wax 2.0 and Meguirs Clay bar, you can't go wrong with Meguiars products.

EDIT: For the polishing and you want to spend some money, use Meguiars 205 compound for really bad swirls and 105 polish for less extreme swirls.
Old 07-21-2009 | 07:34 PM
Contributors

From: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='949747' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:32 PM
Old 07-21-2009 | 07:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: I have an 05 545i. It's a manual with a few options. This is my first BMW but I don't know how I'll ever be able to switch to something else.

I'm sorry Krozi but I beg to differ when it comes to different waxes. There's alot of differences actually, especially when talking about waxes versus sealants.

True, waxes don't very long, I would give it longer than 2 months, especially if your washing your car weekly and topping it with a quick detailer or some sort of spray wax. You can make it last as long as 6 months with proper car. And with sealants you can potentially protect your car for up to a year! There are silicone polymer sealants, acrylic sealants, hybrid wax/sealants mixes, there's a lot of chemistry in it that most people overlook.

But you are right in the fact that the prep is what makes the paint look good. You can buy a $200 jar of swissvax and put in on a car that has been prepped (i.e. Clayed, polished, paint cleaner, etc) and it wouldn't look any better than a $20 jar of Meg's Hi-Tech wax. But given the proper prep, that wax will give the car a great amount of depth to the paint ala "wet paint" look.

I do think that Swissvax has alot of hype behind it, so does Zymol, but there are always people out that will pay extra to have the "Best of the Best".

Now to answer the turbo mustang's question,

I would buy some Meg's Gold Class car wash shampoo, a Meg's clay bar kit, Meg's cleaner wax, and depending on if you want to go with a wax or sealant I would buy Meg's Hi-Tech yellow wax or Meg's #20 or 21 Polymer Sealant. If your doing this all by hand, don't bother with the 105 & 205 compound & polishes, you really need a polisher to take full advantage of those or else you'll just throw your arm out. All these products can be bought OTC at most autoparts store. Make sure to check in the body shop/painting section too, they hide many of the better products over there rather than putting them in the normal car care aisle.

If you can, try to get some Meg's Final Inspection too. This is a good Quick detailer that gives your car a nice shine after washing and can be used to help remove the wax or sealant upon buffing.
Old 07-21-2009 | 07:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kaiten408' post='949756' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:37 PM
I'm sorry Krozi but I beg to differ when it comes to different waxes. There's alot of differences actually, especially when talking about waxes versus sealants.

True, waxes don't very long, I would give it longer than 2 months, especially if your washing your car weekly and topping it with a quick detailer or some sort of spray wax. You can make it last as long as 6 months with proper car. And with sealants you can potentially protect your car for up to a year! There are silicone polymer sealants, acrylic sealants, hybrid wax/sealants mixes, there's a lot of chemistry in it that most people overlook.

But you are right in the fact that the prep is what makes the paint look good. You can buy a $200 jar of swissvax and put in on a car that has been prepped (i.e. Clayed, polished, paint cleaner, etc) and it wouldn't look any better than a $20 jar of Meg's Hi-Tech wax. But given the proper prep, that wax will give the car a great amount of depth to the paint ala "wet paint" look.

I do think that Swissvax has alot of hype behind it, so does Zymol, but there are always people out that will pay extra to have the "Best of the Best".

Now to answer the turbo mustang's question,

I would buy some Meg's Gold Class car wash shampoo, a Meg's clay bar kit, Meg's cleaner wax, and depending on if you want to go with a wax or sealant I would buy Meg's Hi-Tech yellow wax or Meg's #20 or 21 Polymer Sealant. If your doing this all by hand, don't bother with the 105 & 205 compound & polishes, you really need a polisher to take full advantage of those or else you'll just throw your arm out. All these products can be bought OTC at most autoparts store. Make sure to check in the body shop/painting section too, they hide many of the better products over there rather than putting them in the normal car care aisle.

If you can, try to get some Meg's Final Inspection too. This is a good Quick detailer that gives your car a nice shine after washing and can be used to help remove the wax or sealant upon buffing.
That's true, there are different waxes, and Carnauba happens to be the most common one.
Of course there is a HUGE difference between sealants and waxes, sealants last WAY longer. And your also right about 105 and 205. If you don't have a DA for those, your wasting your money as they are more expensive.
Old 07-21-2009 | 07:53 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for all the replies guys. Kaiten thanks for personally pming me. If I can ever help any of you just pm me
Old 07-21-2009 | 07:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='949747' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:32 PM
lol
Old 07-21-2009 | 08:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: I have an 05 545i. It's a manual with a few options. This is my first BMW but I don't know how I'll ever be able to switch to something else.

I would love to see someone coat their car in candle wax or some Burt's Beeswax that would make my year!
Old 07-21-2009 | 08:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kaiten408' post='949771' date='Jul 22 2009, 12:03 AM
I would love to see someone coat their car in candle wax or some Burt's Beeswax that would make my year!
Hahahahah

Have you ever seen pure carnauba?

The scratch it off some leaf in the jungle and it's basically as thick as candle wax.

Quick Reply: What waxes to buy