Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

What polish/wax do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 04:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525

ive heard the durability of zymol (especially their higher end products) is not all that great. i can imagine that in florida it would last you maybe a couple of weeks max. true?
Old 08-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by pipper' date='Aug 11 2005, 08:24 AM
ive heard the durability of zymol (especially their higher end products) is not all that great. i can imagine that in florida it would last you maybe a couple of weeks max. true?
[snapback]158253[/snapback]
Not so as I can tell easily. I wash at least once a week, and in recent wx pattern sometimes twice in a week. Visually I could not tell a significant degradation in shine. However, I did notice less sheeting action on rinsing, so I thought it just time to put on another coat. Plus I wanted to feel my baby as I had driven on some recently blacktopped roads . Sure enough, on the rocker panels I felt little specks and upon closer examination most were black tar. Came off pretty easy. However, I have not done durability tests so you could be right on that account but I know it is not just a couple of weeks. Another factor I have tried to compare is the feel of the car skin after completion of the wax/polish process. To my estimation the skin/paint feels slicker/smoother using the Zymol than the others. The P21S wax is a close second. The other two definitely do not feel as slick.

Maybe I'll do like one side of the P21S and one of Zymol and try to test durability. I am sure there is some bias on my part as well so that has to be taken into account, but if the difference was not really significant I would probably chose to stay with the Zymol for the trade off I desire. Since it has not been very laborious I might not consider the more frequent use of the Zymol product given the slight benefits I see to date.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Contributors

Griot's Garage paint cleaning clay followed by machine polish (when needed) & wax system that includes there excellent "Best of Show" carnauba wax.

The random orbital buffer allows you to put on a very thin coat(s) of wax and knock down the dry wax before finishing by hand with microfiber towels. I usually put down one coat and let it cure for 7 days then apply the second coat. Spectactular results.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by joneill' date='Aug 11 2005, 11:24 PM
Griot's Garage paint cleaning clay followed by machine polish (when needed) & wax system that includes there excellent? "Best of Show" carnauba wax.

The random orbital buffer allows you to put on a very thin coat(s) of wax and knock down the dry wax before finishing by hand with microfiber towels.? I usually put down one coat and let it cure for 7 days then apply the second coat. Spectactular results.
[snapback]158415[/snapback]
Out of interest, do you drive the car during those seven days?
Even if not, does dust not build up on the surface, making the removal of the wax risky?
Old 08-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by pipper' date='Aug 11 2005, 05:24 AM
[snapback]158253[/snapback]
FWIW, I used Zymol (carbon, not concours--too rich for my blood!! ) for 15 years on my Porsches--great finish, and smells like a day at the beach, but it does not last long at all. I would wash my cars once a week and after a month you could tell the wax had worn off when rinsing the car. The shine would look just fine, but that was more due to the excellent condition of the paint, not the durability of the wax. But I enjoyed the bonding experience of waxing the cars, so didn't mind. Finally a few years ago, I heard good things about One Grand Blitz wax, and was not enjoying waxing the cars as much, so gave it a try. Great stuff. High quality carnauba, very easy application/removal (apply thin coat to entire car, then buff off with microfiber towel). With Zymol you need to buff off before it drys or it's very difficult to buff. And I got tired of explaining to my friends why I had wax in my fridge... But wax is like colors--everyone has their favorites.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMW#5' date='Aug 11 2005, 05:47 PM
[quote name='joneill' date='Aug 11 2005, 11:24 PM']Griot's Garage paint cleaning clay followed by machine polish (when needed) & wax system that includes there excellent? "Best of Show" carnauba wax.

The random orbital buffer allows you to put on a very thin coat(s) of wax and knock down the dry wax before finishing by hand with microfiber towels.? I usually put down one coat and let it cure for 7 days then apply the second coat. Spectactular results.
[snapback]158415[/snapback]
Out of interest, do you drive the car during those seven days?
Even if not, does dust not build up on the surface, making the removal of the wax risky?
[snapback]158424[/snapback]
[/quote]

Sure. I just wash well, dry and apply the second coat of wax. Depth of clarity in the clear coat really pops after the second coat. I Try to do this 4 times a year and it really helps protect the paint finish.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Mystic Blue 530i. Sport package, Auto, Premium package, xenon headlights. Mods to come!

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Aug 10 2005, 01:19 PM
Just completed my 3rd application of Zymol Concours.? At first I thought this was a lot of expense just to get a shine.? But through practice, I have learned not to use so much of the product and the results are fantastic.? I have done some side by side comparisons with Meguiar's Gold Class Wax, Rejex and P21S Concours Carnauba Wax on various sections of the car and the Zymol comes out on top in shine and in application.?
[snapback]157958[/snapback]
Ok you compared it against the lightweights. Now try it against the best.....Zaino! Then tell me you'll stick to a carnauba. lol Try the Z final finish spray! That stuff is just sick! Nothing goes on or comes off like Zaino, and the smell? makes me think of a favorite movie quote...."Zaino? I love the smell of Zanio in the morning...it smells like victory!" Major Killgore a la Appocolipse Now! BTW what color is the rag or applicator after using Zymol? Look a little like the color of your car? Ummm not what I want on my machine!
Old 08-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Hpdrifter' date='Aug 18 2005, 11:25 AM
[quote name='cobradav' date='Aug 10 2005, 01:19 PM']Just completed my 3rd application of Zymol Concours.? At first I thought this was a lot of expense just to get a shine.? But through practice, I have learned not to use so much of the product and the results are fantastic.? I have done some side by side comparisons with Meguiar's Gold Class Wax, Rejex and P21S Concours Carnauba Wax on various sections of the car and the Zymol comes out on top in shine and in application.?
Ok you compared it against the lightweights. Now try it against the best.....Zaino! Then tell me you'll stick to a carnauba. lol Try the Z final finish spray! That stuff is just sick! Nothing goes on or comes off like Zaino, and the smell? makes me think of a favorite movie quote...."Zaino? I love the smell of Zanio in the morning...it smells like victory!" Major Killgore a la Appocolipse Now! BTW what color is the rag or applicator after using Zymol? Look a little like the color of your car? Ummm not what I want on my machine!
[snapback]160725[/snapback]
[/quote]

OK--one more time, grasshopper, repeat after me...

Zymol doesn't contain any abrasives

...nor do most high quality carnauba waxes.

And by the way...in case you haven't figured it out yet...the E60 (and most modern cars) has a clearcoat, so even if you were using an abrasive product on the paint, which...and I'll repeat for the slower students... is not the case with Zymol and most high quality carnauba waxes, you wouldn't see any color on the applicator--unless you wore all the way through the clearcoat to the color coat--highly unlikely.

Glad you love your Zaino...just don't go spewing total BS about other products.

And if you ever have to get your car repaired, ask the body shop how easy it will be to match the paint that's been treated with a polymer.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Some folks mentioned residue and melting wax in hot sun. Well, we have been having near record temps here in Central Florida and I have not seen any evidence of melting wax. My car sits out in the sun all day Monday thru Friday and just no so. Also no residue, white or otherwise, with Zymol Concours. Not sure where these ideas come from.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Mystic Blue 530i. Sport package, Auto, Premium package, xenon headlights. Mods to come!

Originally Posted by stream' date='Aug 18 2005, 06:58 PM
[quote name='Hpdrifter' date='Aug 18 2005, 11:25 AM'][quote name='cobradav' date='Aug 10 2005, 01:19 PM']Just completed my 3rd application of Zymol Concours.? At first I thought this was a lot of expense just to get a shine.? But through practice, I have learned not to use so much of the product and the results are fantastic.? I have done some side by side comparisons with Meguiar's Gold Class Wax, Rejex and P21S Concours Carnauba Wax on various sections of the car and the Zymol comes out on top in shine and in application.?
[snapback]160725[/snapback]
[/quote]

OK--one more time, grasshopper, repeat after me...

...nor do most high quality carnauba waxes.

And by the way...in case you haven't figured it out yet...the E60 (and most modern cars) has a clearcoat, so even if you were using an abrasive product on the paint, which...and I'll repeat for the slower students... is not the case with Zymol and most high quality carnauba waxes, you wouldn't see any color on the applicator--unless you wore all the way through the clearcoat to the color coat--highly unlikely.

Glad you love your Zaino...just don't go spewing total BS about other products.

And if you ever have to get your car repaired, ask the body shop how easy it will be to match the paint that's been treated with a polymer.
[snapback]160874[/snapback]
[/quote]

I posted a fairly non abrasive post and in response I get the rude reply. Well since you've crawed out from under your rock, I guess I should respond. Want to talk about paint matching at the Body shop? Try asking any paint guy what the single hardest color to match is. In fact most paint guys will tell you there is only one color that is impossible to match. That would be Silver. So if you're that concerned about matching paint at the body shop why would you buy silver? Also although I am not completely sure of the chemical reactions between polymers and paint I can tell you that I'm fairly positive that it doesn't change the paints color. Actually your response correctly indicates that the clear coat would make it impossible to "change the color" of the paint simply by applying a polymer. Therefore I am complete confused by your argument of paint color changing polymers. Also having actually read the label and MSDS sheets on Zymol I am not completely convinced it doesn't contain abrasives. If you really want to know what the best polish is for your car go here http://www.gurureports.org/specialre...waxtest.3.html and buy the wax test where they compare 46 different waxes, including Zymol and Zaino. (In case anyone's wondering Zaino came out #1) So keep using that Carnauba pal, I like that there's people out there with no idea how to care for a car. Makes mine look all that much better!

Quick Reply: What polish/wax do you use?