Detailing Forum Don't know if that wax is any good? Get your detailing answers and tips here.

Wax...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 06:41 AM
JDN
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SolanNo1' post='236706' date='Feb 8 2006, 08:32 AM
I ReJex every 3 months
Or maybe every six months. RejeX just keeps on shining, feeling slick, and bubbling water.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

With today's paints, and clear coats, I think frequent washing and polishing is more important than waxing. I've gotten lazy over the past few years, having a silver E39 that, except for tar spot removal, didn't show much of my efforts. Now that I am back to black, I'll probably try to be more diligent at polishing

My polishing routine has been limited to spring and fall with an electric buffer machine, and a Simonize (I think) two-stage liguid polish and sealant. I apply them with a great deal of care (as not to burn paint on edges, etc.).

Bottomline to me is: Polish more often and, if you want, have the "wax" applied at the carwash. I gave up on the carnuba grind decades ago; hope they've gotten it so that you don't have to use a chisel to get it off anymore.

I also like Maguires products and use their liquid polish and touch-up spray on my bike, below at its 40K milestone.

Cheers,
Ray Hull

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/2541612-lg.jpg
Old 02-08-2006, 06:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 525d M Sport, Mystic Blue Adaptive Xenon's (Visibility Package), Grey Dakota Leather, Professional Navigation System, BMW Professional Radio/6 Disc CD Changer, Bluetooth Telephone Prearation, (Media Package)Automatic Air Conditioning-Advanced, Auto Dim Interior and Exterior (Electric Folding) Mirrors, Front Seat Heating

It's very hard to wax (or polish) ones car here in the UK as the weather is almost always too cold, too wet or too dark, so I don't touch the wax normally till, at the earliest the first sunny weekend in Feb/March, which you might have to wait until April/May for!

And then in the summer the sun is too hot for polishing, well washing as well because the water just dries before you can wipe the car down and leaves streaks and water marks everywhere.... damn it. It's impossible, i don't bother really unless im in the mood and the weather is right.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:52 AM
Members

My Ride: Current... 2005 545i Black/Black/Anthracite, Sport Package, Steptronic, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, Cold Weather, Fold Down Rear, Sirius.

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='236716' date='Feb 8 2006, 07:41 AM
hope they've gotten it so that you don't have to use a chisel to get it off anymore.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Ray,

The new carnubas apply like butter..... and come off very easily....... no more grind. I'm speaking specifically of Pinnacle, but I've heard the same for PS2.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Contributors

I applied 5-6 coats of Zaino on the car when I first got it. I've refreshed it with a new coat or two every 4-5 weeks.

At the six month mark I expect to put down another 4-5 coats (spring cleaning!).
Old 02-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Waxing always wears down the paint a bit.
Just look at your waxing cloth, it has the color of your car.

So in my meaning it's not good for the paint to wax it all the time.

A couple of times a year should do it.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by Spartacus_33' post='236719' date='Feb 8 2006, 10:52 AM
Ray,

The new carnubas apply like butter..... and come off very easily....... no more grind. I'm speaking specifically of Pinnacle, but I've heard the same for PS2.
That's interesting as I always heard that there was no such thing as "soft" carnuba--the stuff is like cast iron and that's why it works and lasts so well. Must be a blend of some sort, but if it works easily, I'll have to dab some on and see what happens. Thx.

Ray
Old 02-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='236776' date='Feb 8 2006, 02:53 PM
Waxing always wears down the paint a bit.
Just look at your waxing cloth, it has the color of your car.

So in my meaning it's not good for the paint to wax it all the time.

A couple of times a year should do it.

You got to be kidding! First of all, wax is non abrasive in any way! It is a protective layer that shields your paint from debris, moisture/oxidation, sunlight, etc.
Polish on the other hand IS abrasive, but still very mild! In addition, most (if not all) modern BMW's are clearcoated, and if you are seeing color on the waxing cloth, you are cutting through clearcoat, and it is VERY bad! Clearcoat is sprayed relatively thick, and it should last at least 10-20 years with normal waxing and polishing 1-2 times a year.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

[/quote]
You got to be kidding! First of all, wax is non abrasive in any way! It is a protective layer that shields your paint from debris, moisture/oxidation, sunlight, etc.
Polish on the other hand IS abrasive, but still very mild! In addition, most (if not all) modern BMW's are clearcoated, and if you are seeing color on the waxing cloth, you are cutting through clearcoat, and it is VERY bad! Clearcoat is sprayed relatively thick, and it should last at least 10-20 years with normal waxing and polishing 1-2 times a year.
[/quote]

Sure, all BMW's have a multiple layer of clearcoat and with sensible waxing the paint will shine.

But still, abrasion is the idea with wax, if not much, but anyway.

Therefore I still say, that spring and fall waxing, 'couse of the protective layer the paint gets,
is recommend.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributors

I use a synthetic wax/polish called einszett which is similar to Klasse, but is much easier to apply. Ideally, I'd like to do the whole clay, polish and wax every 4-6 months, but I haven't done it in awhile. With silver though, I don't notice much of a difference.

Quick Reply: Wax...